Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Is marvel scared to do a female hero movie?

WB said they won't do wonder woman. This lead to the quote "marvel can make a movie with a talking raccoon and tree but you can't make a wonder woman movie work?" So wb made the ww movie and it was a hit. Now that quote has turned around and attacked marvel! Why can marvel make a talking tree but not a female hero movie?

DC has one female hit movie and two more on the way after less then two years! How many years has marvel studios been out but no female hero movies! They said no plans for black widow then lucy comes out and is a hit. Hunger games is a hit as well.

Captain marvel, marvel's ONLY female movie out of 12 or so movies in the works has been deleyed twice now. This gave dc the chance to beat them to the punch.

Is marvel scared to make any female heroes? They have ms marvel, moon girl, black widow, miss America, captain universe, tigra, Jane foster thor, she-hulk, and many others! What are you scared of marvel? DC has set the challenge. Will marvel make female heroes or is captain marvel it?

What do you guys think?

At this point I doubt they're scared. Marvels track record alone likely means almost any super hero movie they put out will do fine.

I think it's simply a matter of marvel not having an Wonder Woman level female characters. Most of their bigger female leads are associated with teams (ie Storm in the X-Men and Sue in Fantastic Four) rather then being solo properties.

But Black Widow is a possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_5KgpN38hM

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Wonder Woman is the most famous superheroine ever, and Batgirl is probably #2. DC has the advantage of having some female heroes who are household names... Marvel, not so much. Not that Marvel couldn't do a successful female-led movie, and I think they should, but to make it work they'll have to come up with a concept, story and creative team that really creates its own buzz... like they did with Guardians of the Galaxy.

So to answer the question... yeah, I think Marvel is a bit scared to do a female hero movie. But maybe the success of WW will make them less scared. Nothing eases the minds of shareholders like having a shiny bandwagon to jump on.

Marvel also has Ant-Man and the Wasp coming out, which may not be a female solo, but Wasp's name is in the title at least.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    But Black Widow is a possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_5KgpN38hM
    Is anyone really a fan of this character? She has been portrayed so differently from film to film there is hardly a coherent character left in her. I personally find her to be insufferable quip spouter. *beep beep*
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Marvel started with the characters they had and has done a excellent job building their universe and every step has been logical in their bigger plan for Infinity War. Now the only film which could be argued as not necessary and Black Panther or Captain Marvel could had beaten it to the theater is Ant-Man but honestly that got the push it did from Edgar Wright ironically and was planned long before the MCU. I applaud Marvel for what they've created and I don't see any film between now and Captain Marvel being a failure and when Captain Marvel comes out it will have a strong foundation behind it. Homecoming, Ragnarok, Black Panther, Infinity War, Ant-Man and Wasp, and Captain Marvel the next few years of Marvel is gonna be good.

Ultimate Member

Aren't they doing one already?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    WB said they won't do wonder woman. This lead to the quote "marvel can make a movie with a talking raccoon and tree but you can't make a wonder woman movie work?" So wb made the ww movie and it was a hit. Now that quote has turned around and attacked marvel! Why can marvel make a talking tree but not a female hero movie?

DC has one female hit movie and two more on the way after less then two years! How many years has marvel studios been out but no female hero movies! They said no plans for black widow then lucy comes out and is a hit. Hunger games is a hit as well.

Captain marvel, marvel's ONLY female movie out of 12 or so movies in the works has been deleyed twice now. This gave dc the chance to beat them to the punch.

Is marvel scared to make any female heroes? They have ms marvel, moon girl, black widow, miss America, captain universe, tigra, Jane foster thor, she-hulk, and many others! What are you scared of marvel? DC has set the challenge. Will marvel make female heroes or is captain marvel it?

What do you guys think?
    I think you're blowing hot air.

"marvel can make a movie with a talking raccoon and tree but you can't make a wonder woman movie work?"[...]
    Why can marvel make a talking tree but not a female hero movie?
    Not the same thing. Marvel didn't make a film about a talking racoon and a tree, it made an ensemble movie about a bunch of mismatched characters. It was a big risk and we don't know why Marvel went with GotG - at least partly I imagine they wanted to break out from super-heroes to sci-fi/comedy, which isn't a huge leap but is a little different; also we know they thought the script was a winner, we heard that really early on. DC on the other hand had a character with huge name-recognition which they had no confidence in. To be fair, they had failed to make Superman, the most iconic of all super-heroes, work TWICE in a row (opinions may vary on whether you though SR and MoS worked for you, but they were not the mega-smashes the studio had hoped for), so they were probably right to be worried. But they took their time and they got it right.

Marvel have cast Captain Marvel, so that's progress. They need a script that really works, and if they need to spend a bit more time getting it to work, so be it. Captain Marvel has little name-recognition, and in fact has something of an identity problem with the name having been attached to several super-heroes. Carol isn't Wonder Woman, I can't name you any of her enemies, and the only big story I can think of featuring her prominently is the that Avengers annual that everyone wishes never happened. Marvel have stuff to work out because Guardians had a whole bunch of characters to grab the audiences' attention, while Captain Marvel... does she have an interesting supporting cast? She's got a complicated backstory featuring her receiving her powers from Captain Mar-Vell (probably won't be in this film to avoid confusion), having them stolen from her by the mutant Rogue (rights issue), going into space with the X-Men (rights issue) and Starjammers (rights issue) and getting new powers, then getting them reduced (can't remember how) and finally adopting Captain Marvel's name. That's not the same as the problems DC/WB faced with Wonder Woman, which were largely to do with lack of confidence rather than any real problem with the material.
    DC has one female hit movie and two more on the way after less then two years! How many years has marvel studios been out but no female hero movies!
    WB/DC has been making super-hero movies for almost forty years if you count Superman the Movie as your starting point. In all that time they've made one Catwoman movie and one Wonder Woman movie; so that's two female superhero movies. You appear to have picked a starting point for WB/DC that suits your point of view but which is in no way comparable to how you're grading Marvel Studios. It's an utterly invalid comparison as far as I can see.

And for what it's worth, the original meme was:
    DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a racoon with a machine gun"

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Is anyone really a fan of this character? She has been portrayed so differently from film to film there is hardly a coherent character left in her. I personally find her to be insufferable quip spouter. *beep beep*
    Unless all those calls for a Black Widow movie that have been around since the Avengers were figments of my imagination, I'd say yes.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Marvel is making Captain Marvel.

Wasp also also the co-lead of Ant-Man & The Wasp.

I find Scarlett dull as Black Widow but she does have her fans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Is anyone really a fan of this character?
    The entire MCU can crash and burn for all I care as long as I get my Black Widow movie.So yeah, she has fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken
    Aren't they doing one already?
    Finally. They're doing one finally.

Anyway, is Marvel Studios scared? I would say not anymore. The pushback against this seems to have come entirely from Ike Perlmutter, and Feige got Disney to kick him out of the movie business.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Unless all those calls for a Black Widow movie that have been around since the Avengers were figments of my imagination, I'd say yes.
    I think people are mostly fans of Scarlett Johansen in or out of that role. She's a U.S. government assassin with SHIELD tech, whoop. Good character with cool moments and I feel she's worked well in the MCU, outside of IM2 that is but then again not much worked in that movie and I'm an Iron Man guy.

To the OP, what the fk does 'scared' have to do with anything? Marvel's Netflix branch also put Jessica Jones in her own series, gave us Misty Knight and the best live action Electra AFTER Electra got her own albeit shitty FOX movie years before whatever starting point you've decided to have.

After Wonder Woman and Batgirl whom does DC have by way of super heroine that could even carry a film?
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Really I don't think Black Widow got a film simply because Marvel is all about World building and they were concentrating on the Captain America Trilogy and he kind of took the Shield/Espionage role and hence why she guessed starred in them and once done with Civil War they've moved on the other realms to build up for Infinity War like Dr. Strange and the Eye Agamotto being an Infinity Stone and so on and she got lost in the shuffle. Now with that said I'd love for a Black Widow film where they reveal she was given a form of the Infinity Serum and actually was a spy in the cold war and perhaps since joining shield the serum is running out and she's now aging normally and some old KGB allies come after her that would be pretty cool. I'd like to say it's a great time to be a comic fan just to have the argument/discussion on who hasn't gotten films yet I remember when a Spider-Man film was a pipe dream.

I'm sure "Ghost in the Shell" has given credence to anyone within the company who was already hesitant, despite "WW" fair or not.

I'm going to watch "Atomic Blonde" and imagine it's a Black Widow movie.

I'm not a fan of the character but I can't believe they didn't have a Black Widow movie during Phase 2.

ScarJo is the first time I've cared about Black Widow as a character.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium