Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

They are doing a Captain Marvel movie with Brie Larson so that is their first big female hero movie. But with the success of Wonder Woman, I am sure Marvel is looking to tap into more female heroes and I could see them finally giving the green light for a Black Widow movie.
    Last edited by Iron_Legion87; 06-08-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    They are doing a Captain Marvel movie with Brie Larson so that is there first big female hero movie. But with the success of Wonder Woman, I am sure Marvel is looking to tap into more female heroes and I could see them finally giving the green light for a Black Widow movie.
    Pretty much this. Any hesitancy is gone after those weekend WW box office returns. Capt. Marvel is going to be fast tracked I'm sure. And BW will be out soon now.

Quote Originally Posted by RumpusMagoo View Post
    Pretty much this. Any hesitancy is gone after those weekend WW box office returns. Capt. Marvel is going to be fast tracked I'm sure. And BW will be out soon now.
    Definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by RumpusMagoo View Post
    I'd doubt they'd fast track it that's not Marvel's style they're not reactionary and they take their time and where would they put it? They're not going to sideline Black Panther or Infinity War only Ant-Man and Wasp has the potential of a swap outside of that I don't see Captain Marvel being from it's release date.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I'd doubt they'd fast track it that's not Marvel's style they're not reactionary and they take their time and where would they put it? They're not going to sideline Black Panther or Infinity War only Ant-Man and Wasp has the potential of a swap outside of that I don't see Captain Marvel being from it's release date.
    Carol is in Infinity War, correct?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Carol is in Infinity War, correct?
    I don't know if confirmed but I've lots of places saying she will appear in Infinity War.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Exactly.

Marvel executive producer Nate Moore said in a interview with Complex
    "We want to tell the best stories with the strongest developed characters and scripts that we can. Our biggest concern is that, in trying to get more characters out there, we rush something that’s not ready and we deliver something that’s not up to our standards. So it’s less about us rushing a character that’s diverse to get it out quickly and more about figuring out how to do it right. "
    Basically they aren't rushing out diverse heroes or any other hero unless they think it is of the quality they desire.

People can moan about Marvel not making Black Panther earlier but if they did Marvel would not of got Ryan Coogler or most of the great cast they have in the upcoming movie.

Anyone who is truly a fan of these superhero characters wants them to get the best movie possible. What matters is that the films are good rather than what order they come out. I would rather wait for a great movie than see a subpar movie rushed into production simply because some people are too impatient. No one cares that Elektra got a movie because it was forgettable garbage.
    Last edited by chamber-music; 06-08-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Fantastic Member

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a BW movie. However, I do think that the best time for it has already passed, which was immediately after the events of the Winter Soldier. Now, with the advent of Captain Marvel, MCU producers may be looking toward developing other female characters with different backgrounds and more interesting power sets, and they may not be so eager to do a film on her unless they bow to public demand.
    I know that a lot want a movie with her as the lead, but I wonder how much of that has more to do with the fact that a) ScarJo becoming a bigger star than the producers realized, and b) BW being the sole female superhero for a long time in the MCU and therefore getting most of the attention as a result. Maybe TPTB never really had an interest in making a film for her in the first place and are now under a lot of pressure from people. I doubt they saw her as more than a supporting character in the first place.
    As for Scarlet Witch, I can see two possible roadblocks: 1) the rights issue, and 2) the fact that most of the major stories that are about her usually have her being under mind-control or possessed by something. Heck, her most famous stories until today are still Avengers Disassembled and House of M. The one time she did bad things and wasn't under such conditions was when she was in the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Until her recent comic, she has been almost always been portrayed as either a victim and/or an antagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    WB said they won't do wonder woman. This lead to the quote "marvel can make a movie with a talking raccoon and tree but you can't make a wonder woman movie work?" So wb made the ww movie and it was a hit. Now that quote has turned around and attacked marvel! Why can marvel make a talking tree but not a female hero movie?

DC has one female hit movie and two more on the way after less then two years! How many years has marvel studios been out but no female hero movies! They said no plans for black widow then lucy comes out and is a hit. Hunger games is a hit as well.

Captain marvel, marvel's ONLY female movie out of 12 or so movies in the works has been deleyed twice now. This gave dc the chance to beat them to the punch.

Is marvel scared to make any female heroes? They have ms marvel, moon girl, black widow, miss America, captain universe, tigra, Jane foster thor, she-hulk, and many others! What are you scared of marvel? DC has set the challenge. Will marvel make female heroes or is captain marvel it?

What do you guys think?
    More specifically it was Isaac Permutter that was afraid on making movies with female characters. He saw the failure of Supergirl, Catwoman and Elektra and used that as proof to block any plans of making a Marvel movie with female characters because no one wants to see a movie about a female character.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Wonder Woman is the most famous superheroine ever, and Batgirl is probably #2. DC has the advantage of having some female heroes who are household names... Marvel, not so much. Not that Marvel couldn't do a successful female-led movie, and I think they should, but to make it work they'll have to come up with a concept, story and creative team that really creates its own buzz... like they did with Guardians of the Galaxy.
    I would argue that Supergirl is 2nd only in fame to Wonder Woman. 1. Supergirl was the first DC character to star in her own movie. All Batgirl ever got was a supporting role in a Batman movie 2. Supergirl has been in two recent television series. "Smallville" and "Supergirl". The last time Batgirl was in a television series was back in the 1960s for only last season of Batman. I would argue that Catwoman is also more famous than Batgirl, having appeared in three seasons of the 1960s Batman, as well as in Gotham for three seasons, and in four Batman movies, Batman: The Movie (1966) , Batman Returns, Catwoman,
    and The Dark Knight Rises. Harley Quinn is also getting a lot of attention.

I would rank them 1. Wonder Woman 2. Supergirl 3. Catwoman 4. Harley Quinn 5. Batgirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post

WB/DC has been making super-hero movies for almost forty years if you count Superman the Movie as your starting point. In all that time they've made one Catwoman movie and one Wonder Woman movie; so that's two female superhero movies. You appear to have picked a starting point for WB/DC that suits your point of view but which is in no way comparable to how you're grading Marvel Studios. It's an utterly invalid comparison as far as I can see.
    Warner Bros also made a Supergirl movie. So that is three. In fact Supergirl was the first movie ever to feature a female Superhero from the comic book, over 33 years ago. So even as far back as the first DC superhero movies, Warner Bros was willing to give a female superhero a shot. In those 33 years the only Marvel character to make it to a solo movie was Elektra, and that was a Fox movie, not Marvel Studios.
    Last edited by Osiris-Rex; 06-08-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Batgirl was only in the finale season of Batman 66 because she literally didn't exist in the comics until a year after the show premiered. Also she starred in Birds of Prey as both Oracle and Batgirl.

Supergirl is the first American female superhero film but while the WB owned Supergirl and watched over production it was completely funded by the Salkinds.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 06-08-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Warner Bros also made a Supergirl movie. So that is three. In fact Supergirl was the first movie ever to feature a female Superhero from the comic book, over 33 years ago. So even as far back as the first DC superhero movies, Warner Bros was willing to give a female superhero a shot. In those 33 years the only Marvel character to make it to a solo movie was Elektra, and that was a Fox movie, not Marvel Studios.
    The point is you are comparing the output of a company that has only been making movies since 2004(?), before which Marvel licenced out properties, with the WB/DC outfit which has been going far longer. Marvel does not have access to many of its better known female characters as they are part of the X franchise. You're comparing apples and oranges.

And Red Sonja, despite being inspired by two Robert E. Howard characters, is a Marvel character and had her own movie.

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't mind a BW movie. However, I do think that the best time for it has already passed, which was immediately after the events of the Winter Soldier. Now, with the advent of Captain Marvel, MCU producers may be looking toward developing other female characters with different backgrounds and more interesting power sets, and they may not be so eager to do a film on her unless they bow to public demand.
    I know that a lot want a movie with her as the lead, but I wonder how much of that has more to do with the fact that a) ScarJo becoming a bigger star than the producers realized, and b) BW being the sole female superhero for a long time in the MCU and therefore getting most of the attention as a result. Maybe TPTB never really had an interest in making a film for her in the first place and are now under a lot of pressure from people. I doubt they saw her as more than a supporting character in the first place.
    As for Scarlet Witch, I can see two possible roadblocks: 1) the rights issue, and 2) the fact that most of the major stories that are about her usually have her being under mind-control or possessed by something. Heck, her most famous stories until today are still Avengers Disassembled and House of M. The one time she did bad things and wasn't under such conditions was when she was in the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Until her recent comic, she has been almost always been portrayed as either a victim and/or an antagonist.
    See, I'd think it would be a hell of a lot easier to make Black Widow compared to Captain Marvel. You pretty much have a female spy movie in the MU all ready to go. With CM, there would need to be some serious adaptation with a movie about the character because of ties with Mar-vel and Rogue, etc.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I would argue that Supergirl is 2nd only in fame to Wonder Woman. 1. Supergirl was the first DC character to star in her own movie. All Batgirl ever got was a supporting role in a Batman movie 2. Supergirl has been in two recent television series. "Smallville" and "Supergirl". The last time Batgirl was in a television series was back in the 1960s for only last season of Batman. I would argue that Catwoman is also more famous than Batgirl, having appeared in three seasons of the 1960s Batman, as well as in Gotham for three seasons, and in four Batman movies, Batman: The Movie (1966) , Batman Returns, Catwoman, and The Dark Knight Rises. Harley Quinn is also getting a lot of attention.

I would rank them 1. Wonder Woman 2. Supergirl 3. Catwoman 4. Harley Quinn 5. Batgirl.
    That list might be right by the standards of people familiar with comics, but as far as the general public is concerned, the majority of them couldn't name any superhero who didn't star in a TV show at some point in the 50's-80's. People know Wonder Woman because of Lynda Carter, and Batgirl because of Yvonne Craig. They also know Catwoman, but think of her as a villain.

That even includes millennials who don't read comics or get involved in nerd culture.

Extraordinary Member

They don't really have a good one to make a film with. Captain Marvel hasn't exactly been a hit for them or anything and has minimal name recognition (and before we go into Guardians, it had a stellar cast full of big names and an assortment of characters that had wide appeal). Then Black Widow is going to be a regular spy flick with super hero stuff.

They need one of then X-Men women characters to really pull this off

Marvel could probably consider a Gamora movie. As much as I would love a Black Widow movie still, I feel that the really good moment for that is now past. Others I'd be interested in seeing are Ms. Marvel (hah, Marvel is way to gutless for that one) or She-Hulk.

Captain Marvel, though. Talk about blah. You won't be able to pay me to see that one if she is anything like she usually is in the comics.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.