Default Villains who lose their roots

Villains usually start out as opposites to a specific hero or team, and stay that way throughout their existence. Some of the most successful and popular ones sometimes branch out to other heroes for a short while (Lex Luthor takes on the Justice League or Batman, Joker messes with Superman, The Riddler goes up against Green Arrow or Flash), but they always return to their roots and continue to be specifically seen as adversaries of "their" heroes.

However, some villains lose their roots completely, and becomes non-specific threats that can show up to hassle pretty much any hero or team. Off the top of my head we have Solomon Grundy (started off as a GL Alan Scott villain), Gentleman Ghost (Hawkman), Deathstroke and Cheshire (Teen Titans), and I'm sure there are lots more. Which ones have I missed, and what makes a villain lose his/her connection to a hero enough that he/she suddenly becomes anyone's game?
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

BANNED

Thomas Blake, Catman, and definitely for the better.

Originally a 3rd rate Batman villain, Simone turned him into an integral member of the Secret Six with more of a tie to Huntress than any other Gotham hero, and into my favorite DC villain.

I think its easier for bigger heroes to maintain their hold on their villains rather than smaller ones whose villains seem to just become general DC villians. As for why this is, I think its probably the fact that some heroes such as Hawkman or Alan Scott dont always have a book meaning the known villians needs to appear elsewhere or its just a waste of a good villian. Also some DC characters like Green Arrow, Black Canary etc dont have many recognizable rogues for the general public so using popular and known characters such as Deathstroke makes sense.

I would have to say Killer Frost. She was created as one of Firestorm's core villains but over the decades there have been so many changes in the histories and identities of both Killer Frost and Firestorm that the damage to their hero/archenemy relationship may be beyond repair. I mean, c'mon, Killer Frost is a League member and Firestorm's League inclusion has barely been recognized if it even occurred at all in the 52/Rebirth histories.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    I think its easier for bigger heroes to maintain their hold on their villains rather than smaller ones whose villains seem to just become general DC villians. As for why this is, I think its probably the fact that some heroes such as Hawkman or Alan Scott dont always have a book meaning the known villians needs to appear elsewhere or its just a waste of a good villian. Also some DC characters like Green Arrow, Black Canary etc dont have many recognizable rogues for the general public so using popular and known characters such as Deathstroke makes sense.
    All good points. I also agree about Killer Frost, although Catman seems more like an example of a villain getting a permanent new home as the shared protagonist of a team book, like Deadshot and Capt. Boomerang in Suicide Squad. I also thought of another potential example in The Shade, but that might just be a case of a character that exists in a lot of different slight variations. There's also Jason Woodrue AKA Floronic Man, but after having bounced around the DCU for a while he feels pretty settled as a specific enemy of Swamp Thing by now.
    Last edited by TheNewFiftyForum; 06-08-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    All good points. I also agree about Killer Frost, although Catman seems more like an example of a villain getting a permanent new home as the shared protagonist of a team book, like Deadshot and Capt. Boomerang in Suicide Squad. I also thought of another potential example in The Shade, but that might just be a case of a character that exists in a lot of different slight variations. There's also Jason Woodrue AKA Floronic Man, but after having bounced around the DCU for a while he feels pretty settled as a specific enemy of Swamp Thing by now.
    I also feel like the Floronic Man has lost his roots since he turned over a new leaf and branched out into being Swamp Things enemy.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Incredible Member

Vandal Savage. Originally Alan Scott's foe, now he fights... everyone. Totally derooted.

Eclipso is a villain protagonist, so I have no idea.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Darkseid is another good example. First appeared in the nominally Superman related title "Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen." but soon branched out to become DC's biggest villain.

I feel not being tide to a particular hero hurts alot of villains though. Villains are often are often defined by the hero they go up against. General DC villains often don't get developed because they don't have a regular home to make appearance's in. Batman villains are great because they show up in batman related titles often enough to get developed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Villains usually start out as opposites to a specific hero or team, and stay that way throughout their existence. Some of the most successful and popular ones sometimes branch out to other heroes for a short while (Lex Luthor takes on the Justice League or Batman, Joker messes with Superman, The Riddler goes up against Green Arrow or Flash), but they always return to their roots and continue to be specifically seen as adversaries of "their" heroes.

However, some villains lose their roots completely, and becomes non-specific threats that can show up to hassle pretty much any hero or team. Off the top of my head we have Solomon Grundy (started off as a GL Alan Scott villain), Gentleman Ghost (Hawkman), Deathstroke and Cheshire (Teen Titans), and I'm sure there are lots more. Which ones have I missed, and what makes a villain lose his/her connection to a hero enough that he/she suddenly becomes anyone's game?
    It seems to apply more to JSA and TT characters and I think in the case of the former its because those heroes were replaced by a new generation so those villains carried forward. Grundy as you mentioned has become more of Bat foe with strong Starman links as well. Vandal Savage is anyone's game(recently Superman), so is Psycho Pirate(heavy use in Batman plus Arkhamite). Teen Titans largely consist of characters taken from various franchises so little surprise that when said villain becomes strongly associated with one character from a specific franchise then they by effect become linked to said franchise.

Ghost is still a Hawkman guy though, Hawkman then Batman.