Default DCEU Are vs MCU Thor

Which lightning god takes it?

UGH, someone edit the S onto the end of Ares please, I'm losing my patience with this keyboard.

Ares seems to be more versatile and has more power options (TK, lightning, teleportation, control over other elements), Thor seems to be stronger and more durable. Lightning-wise, may be comparable as a charged Mjolnir lighting was roughly comparable to charged Ares lightning. Thor might just be able to power through everything until he hits Ares with something that puts him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    control over other elements.
    when did he show he had control over other elements? all i saw was fire.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    He demonstrated wind at least.

I'm inclined to think Twickster has the right of it, though with Ares's teleportation, flight, and nebulous illusion ability it seems like Thor will have a devil of a time laying hands on him. It's like he's dealing with a much more powerful Loki, rather than a fellow bruiser. But I'm not sure Ares can put Thor down, unless he can TK control Mjolnir.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Wind, when stopping the lasso of truth from reaching him.

Earth, with a punch to the ground creating a "line" shockwave that cuts a truck in half. Although that part just might be TK.

Also shapes metal debris into a sword and armor, although again, that might also be just TK. (TK is hella versatile)

Also, I doubt Ares is TK controlling Mjolnir, not when the Hulk itself cannot move the damn thing. Unless we're calling shenanigans, wherein TK'ing something does not count as wielding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    Wind, when stopping the lasso of truth from reaching him.

Earth, with a punch to the ground creating a "line" shockwave that cuts a truck in half. Although that part just might be TK.

Also shapes metal debris into a sword and armor, although again, that might also be just TK. (TK is hella versatile)

Also, I doubt Ares is TK controlling Mjolnir, not when the Hulk itself cannot move the damn thing. Unless we're calling shenanigans, wherein TK'ing something does not count as wielding it.
    Well, in the comics it wouldn't count as wielding it, but I think they made the hammer harder to move in the movie than it is in the comics. I'm pretty sure comic Mjolnir can be moved freely by machines for example.

The question would be whether Ares has any extra influence over items of war. The movie seemed a little vague on the exact nature of his TK.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Well, in the comics it wouldn't count as wielding it, but I think they made the hammer harder to move in the movie than it is in the comics. I'm pretty sure comic Mjolnir can be moved freely by machines for example.

The question would be whether Ares has any extra influence over items of war. The movie seemed a little vague on the exact nature of his TK.
    For moving even comic Mjolnir, that has depended on the author. Most of the recent stuff involved it being completely unmoveable by anything except the worthy user. That was a thing in the FemThor line, it was a thing in the King Thor story line, etc. It dropped somewhere and was completely unmoveable. It has even been imoveable in space before.

Aaaaaand then we have Red Hulk. Oh, good god.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    For moving even comic Mjolnir, that has depended on the author. Most of the recent stuff involved it being completely unmoveable by anything except the worthy user. That was a thing in the FemThor line, it was a thing in the King Thor story line, etc. It dropped somewhere and was completely unmoveable. It has even been imoveable in space before.

Aaaaaand then we have Red Hulk. Oh, good god.
    That makes it sounds like organic web shooters then-- an example of them adapting comics to make them more like the movies. (Assuming you mean the recent Aaron stuff for King Thor and not some of the prior Rune King Thor or JMS stuff.) Because I've seen Magneto shove the hammer around, Gladiator kick it out of Thor's hand and across a city, Quasar seal it in a force field, Surfer seal it in a force field bubble, Doctor Spectrum seal it in a force field which he then moved to keep out of Thor's reach, Thanos seal Stormbreaker in a bubble, Doctor Doom move it with a machine, Iron Man moving it in space...

I'm sure there have been inconsistent portrayals over the years, but I haven't seen a lot of old comics which portray the hammer as unmovable. Instead the definition of wielding seems to have been pretty specific.

Also, I have trouble wrapping my head around how the hammer work if it was truly immovable to any number of forces. Planets are constantly in motion, for example, so why wouldn't Mjolnir either fall off or anchor the planet in place?

Everyone's favorite host Guy Smiley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Also, I have trouble wrapping my head around how the hammer work if it was truly immovable to any number of forces. Planets are constantly in motion, for example, so why wouldn't Mjolnir either fall off or anchor the planet in place?
    Whenever that kind of issue comes up, I always just assume general relativity covers it. The hammer becomes immovable compared to its local surroundings, so it won't fly out the back if it's put down on a moving bus for instance. Generally, time travelers don't find themselves in deep space when they time travel 'because the Earth moved in space during that time' for similar reasons--because they travel through time while their spacial location remains the same relative to the Earth.

It's sanity-saving and may even be scientifically accurate, (as much as an excuse for magical immobility and time travel can be at least) if my understanding of the posted answers to some questions on alt-physics I once found logs of somewhere is correct.
    Last edited by Guy Smiley; 06-12-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Smiley View Post
    Whenever that kind of issue comes up, I always just assume general relativity covers it. The hammer becomes immovable compared to its local surroundings, so it won't fly out the back if it's put down on a moving bus for instance. Generally, time travelers don't find themselves in deep space when they time travel 'because the Earth moved in space during that time' for similar reasons--because they travel through time while their spacial location remains the same relative to the Earth.

It's sanity-saving and may even be scientifically accurate, (as much as an excuse for magical immobility and time travel can be at least) if my understanding of the posted answers to some questions on alt-physics I once found logs of somewhere is correct.
    Yeah, but take the bus example. Can Hulk lift the bus? He's then effecting the environment around the hammer, but it still moves the hammer. What if Hulk lifts the road the bus is on? What about the whole land mass? Can Superman resort to moving Mjolnir by just moving the planet it is on? Is it just effectively super glued to the surface it is on and said surface can be moved?

It seems a lot simpler to just say "the hammer can't be lifted by someone unworthy, but it is still subject to physics otherwise." Now, since Mjolnir has been retconned to be sentient, all bets are off, as it can just decide when it wants to move and when it doesn't.