Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Batwoman #3 preview

https://graphicpolicy.com/2017/05/11...ew-batwoman-3/

I'm liking the parallels and contrasts being drawn between Kate and Tahani; little things like how when Safiyah took them in, their hair length was reversed from what it is currently, or the way the first scene here and the first scene in issue #2 both involve food and use complementary colors.

Also, Kate doing more spy stuff, and not even knowing she's walking into a trap.
    Last edited by Caivu; 05-11-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I like the mood!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

And her hair is a bob again. Does this mean next issue it's shaved? Between this series and 'Tec - I'm getting whiplash from the hairdo swapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    And her hair is a bob again. Does this mean next issue it's shaved? Between this series and 'Tec - I'm getting whiplash from the hairdo swapping.
    Her hair is shaved in this series, so she's wearing a wig in the preview here.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Her hair is shaved in this series, so she's wearing a wig in the preview here.
    Wish they'd just stick with the bob, the buzzcut never works in comics... And it's ridiculous that she's wearing a wig in her civilian identity if that's the case.

And am I the only that thought Safiyah was Renee before actually reading the preview? Wonder if the similarity is intentional or not, but they even dress the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Wish they'd just stick with the bob, the buzzcut never works in comics...
    Why do you say that? I think it looks cool.

And it's ridiculous that she's wearing a wig in her civilian identity if that's the case.
    Not if she's going undercover, it's not.

And am I the only that thought Safiyah was Renee before actually reading the preview? Wonder if the similarity is intentional or not, but they even dress the same!
    I see no resemblance, especially not in their clothes.

Last-minute bonus panel someone put on Twitter:

IMG_20170516_220642.jpg

Looks like the Sequoia gets hacked, maybe? That would explain the variant cover.
    Last edited by Caivu; 05-16-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Still pretty good. The biggest problem with the series so far is that it's really fast-paced, almost to its detriment. I wouldn't say it's rushed, because nothing is really confusing or badly-explained, there's just not a lot of breathing room. It feels like a standard six-issue arc stuffed into four issues (or five, with the epilogue). That being said, I'd much rather any story be too fast than drag on and on, so I'm not bothered by this much.

I really like how Knife's buildup as an archenemy is being handled. The way the opening scene of this issue and the opening of issue #2 are similar in terms of layout but complementary in terms of color palette is a good visual way to compare and contrast she and Kate. Their personalities, too, do this: things like how Knife has abandoned her old name while Kate and Batwoman are essentially the same persona, or how they are both dead-even in terms of fighting ability. Even the way Kate lured Knife into a trap using a Batman Gambit just like Knife did in issue #2. Good stuff going on there.

They're poised to have their first real fight next issue after some initial scuffles, and I'm so on board for that. I'm picturing it playing out similar to how I thought Kate's fight with Violet Paige would go: intercut a horribly violent battle with flashbacks. Man I hope that happens.

There's still the matter of showing how the two interacted when they first knew each other, but I trust that'll be shown.

It's looking like The Many Arms of Death are going to be the overarching villains of the series, which I kinda expected. Still not clear why exactly they want Kate dead, but there's still two issues left. I expect it ties into whatever Kate did to cause Coryana to fall into this mess, since they want to destroy the island. Also, Julia is the best.

Always Rakzo

Boy, this is still sooooo boooooring. The villain and overall setting are not interesting enough to invest so many issues on them and the connection to Kate is not emphasized adequately to make you care either which makes the whole storyarc pretty much pointless. Oh, and the lack of content makes things even worse.

Decent art at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Boy, this is still sooooo boooooring. The villain and overall setting are not interesting enough to invest so many issues on them and the connection to Kate is not emphasized adequately to make you care either which makes the whole storyarc pretty much pointless. Oh, and the lack of content makes things even worse.

Decent art at least.
    Disagree. I find it all incredibly interesting. This issue was fast with a bunch of info in in. And both sets of villains are compelling in their own way. Knife in particular is really cool in how she compared and contrasts with Kate, which are good things to have in an archenemy character.

I loved the bingo card. Highlight of the issue for me heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Why do you say that? I think it looks cool.
    I know we've talked about this before, but fundamentally, my dislike for Kate's buzzcut is as follows:

1) Elegy cemented what Kate should look like to me. Some character are a bit more malleable in how they should look as civilians, but Kate's not one of them for me because of how powerful the art was in her real introduction (I know 52 is great, well, mostly, but I don't consider the art one of the great things about it, and I think it's super obvious that Rucka did some massive rethinking of Kate's character between 52 and Elegy, making the latter basically her introduction.)

2) I dislike buzzcuts in general for all people, men and women. I get what JT4 was going for in giving her a buzz in Tec, but even in the hands of really excellent artists like Alvaro Martinez, I don't think it's nearly as strong a look as JHWIII's bob.

3) I like bobs in general, though this time mostly for women.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Mighty Member

Thank you Millernumber1 for that Bob defense! Like I get why they gave her a buzzcut. I have one myself because it makes wearing wigs super easy, but I love and miss the bob . Also not really feeling the story so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    Thank you Millernumber1 for that Bob defense! Like I get why they gave her a buzzcut. I have one myself because it makes wearing wigs super easy, but I love and miss the bob . Also not really feeling the story so far.
    I'm enjoying the book, but mostly for the art right now. I think Bennett needs to focus more on relationships that have potential for future growth, like Julia or Bette, instead of all these past relationships with villains that are almost certain to end in death and destruction. But that's just me. (Also, Beth/Alice needs to come back stat).

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I'm enjoying the book, but mostly for the art right now. I think Bennett needs to focus more on relationships that have potential for future growth, like Julia or Bette, instead of all these past relationships with villains that are almost certain to end in death and destruction. But that's just me.
    That would run counter to the premise of the series, though. At least for this arc. Julia is almost certainly going to be in every arc, while Knife and TMAoD probably won't. Knife is a new permanent addition to Kate's rogues gallery, and TMAoD are looking like a multi-arc villian just like Medusa was last time. It's not an either/or situation, it's more like triage, and so far the way it's being handled is sensible.