Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fantastic Member

Default Was Batman right to make plans against the Justice League?

The Tower of Babel story sees Batman taking precautions against his teammates in the event they go rouge. Sadly, this was used against him by Ra's Al Ghul. While he did have a point about needing something to stop his teammates, some of his plans were really dangerous. So, was he really wrong in the end to have done this in the first place?

BANNED

Yes, he was in the wrong to do this....still not as bad as making Brother Eye though. (Why was he not put in jail for all the deaths caused by that again?)

Well, I think it was a reasonable precaution to have contingencies in place in case the heroes go rogue or get mind-controlled or something (which is actually pretty plausible), but not informing the League about them in the first place was a serious breach of trust.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Right or wrong on it is a tough question. Would the US be wrong in having hidden plans to strike an ally country at risk of a coup de tat and that could suddenly attack us?

More importantly, Batman was negligent about protecting these contingencies from rogues. And he might have informed the league on these contingencies.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

He would have been in the wrong if DC hadn't gone out of it's way to keep making storylines where the members of the Justice League went rogue.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Actually, I remember when Identity Crisis came out and revealed that Zatanna mindwiped Batman in the Satellite Era. Unwittingly, Meltzer provided even another strong/understandable reason for Batman's contingencies in Tower of Babel.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Empty is thy hand!

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Actually, I remember when Identity Crisis came out and revealed that Zatanna mindwiped Batman in the Satellite Era. Unwittingly, Meltzer provided even another strong/understandable reason for Batman's contingencies in Tower of Babel.
    Bingo. I don't have a problem with the idea, seeing as how Morrison's Batman is uber and plans for everything, but his deep distrust of teammates was definitely reinforced by Identity Crisis. Beforehand, it was a contingency for when/if the Leaguers came under mind control from enemies, as shown in Mark Waid's The Silver Age miniseries as well as other stories. Makes sense to me, and it's good tension/drama.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    He would have been in the wrong if DC hadn't gone out of it's way to keep making storylines where the members of the Justice League went rogue.
    This! Of all the times Aquaman went rouge if a few bad apples pollute the waters or trespass in his territory then starts to threaten the surface world only for the Leaguers to forget about it the next day? Or whenever Superman gets mind controlled especially the times he nearly killed Batman? Or Wonder Woman snapping a villain's next and not pondering if she would do it again? The members who voted him out were pretty much contradicting themselves and are in denial for ever going rouge or forgetting the times that they did happen. It also makes me believe that they are threatened by Batman always going one up on them and having contingency plans when they have not. I honestly expected better from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    This! Of all the times Aquaman went rouge if a few bad apples pollute the waters or trespass in his territory then starts to threaten the surface world only for the Leaguers to forget about it the next day? Or whenever Superman gets mind controlled especially the times he nearly killed Batman? Or Wonder Woman snapping a villain's next and not pondering if she would do it again? The members who voted him out were pretty much contradicting themselves and are in denial for ever going rouge or forgetting the times that they did happen. It also makes me believe that they are threatened by Batman always going one up on them and having contingency plans when they have not. I honestly expected better from them.
    I think you're confusing Aquaman for Namor. Superman gave Bruce a Kryptonite ring and admitted he had a point. And Wonder Woman killing a bad guy who was going to murder billions and then turning herself over to the authorities who found her innocent isn't even relevant here. That's not proof she's a threat. She's shown more respect for the law and the opinions of the people it is supposed to protect than Bruce. A better example would be every time Bruce has resisted arrest when framed for a crime. He's the one who contradicts his behavior.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    "Of all the times".

What times are those, exactly? Aquaman tends to want to clean his own mess. He doesn`t plan on taking down Leaguers over something trivial like lack of security when he`s supposed to be the security nut of the bunch. It`s not even about the plans but execution. He went at it the wrong way in two major storylines and was a total ass to everyone in either of them.

You betcha I was among the fans who wanted Booster to fry the crap out of him for being a sanctimonious boob.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Yes, he was in the wrong to do this....still not as bad as making Brother Eye though. (Why was he not put in jail for all the deaths caused by that again?)
    He`s not willing to call himself out on the same thing he does others.

Right in intention, wrong in execution. They should have plans to be able to stop each other, but said member should not have access to his or her own plan.

All I know is that all the stupid memes that came from this story and JL: Doom are highly annoying.

And Batman wasn't even the first person to discover the weaknesses.

BANNED

It's weird to me that he can plan for this but can't plan for a clown to break out of an asylum and turn his city into hell on earth.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I don't think making the plans themselves was wrong, but Batman was uncharacteristically sloppy in allowing the fact that he had such plans to be known. Storing the data in the Batcomputer was an obvious no no. The plans should have been in his head alone, or on a medium that the likes of Ra's Al Ghul would likely overlook (e.g. baked into Alfred's cookies or something).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014