Default Should I get the Telltale Batman game?

How was it overall? Did any of the choices matter? How'd it stack up to the other Telltale games? Please, no spoilers.

Some of the story elements are great but the game play is really bad, even by Telltale standards. Missed button prompts are of no consequence. The frame rate drops are inexcusable. It's better on PS4 than on PS3 but even then there are still issues. I'd wait for a sale or something. It wasn't worth paying full price for IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    Some of the story elements are great but the game play is really bad, even by Telltale standards. Missed button prompts are of no consequence. The frame rate drops are inexcusable. It's better on PS4 than on PS3 but even then there are still issues. I'd wait for a sale or something. It wasn't worth paying full price for IMO.
    I kinda expect that with Telltale lol, it sucks but not really a deal breaker for me. Also I only have an X-box One.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I enjoyed it, but the ending wasn't as satisfying, as I wanted more Selina. And Lady Arkham, being an original villain (even with their secret identity) wasn't my fave. The backstory alterations were semi interesting, but not fascinating. All in all, if there's a sale, I'd say yes, but not full price. (That's what I did).
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I would recommend it, I picked it up for $20 and I thought it was well worth it.

With that said, it's not a perfect game. I'll list a few pros and cons:

PROS:

I like how the game was originally released in an episodic format. I waited until all the episodes were available before I started my play through, but the chapters are broken up nicely. I played my Batman recklessly early on, based on what I figured would be his fractured emotional state due to an interesting plot twist that I won't spoil. As the game progressed, I had Bruce/Batman regain his bearings and be the Batman we all know he can be. This was a lot of fun to experience.

I really like the changes Telltale made to the Batman lore. I'm all for trying different things in different mediums, after all, Batman is a fictional comic book character, so if a storyline is poorly received it can be retconned. The twist that Telltale brought in really made a lot of sense and enhanced the story for me.

Selina/Catwoman was an excellent addition to the game. In face, I really enjoyed all of the major characters and the supporting ones gave some potential clues as to where this series could go in future episodes.

You really get to utilize Bruce Wayne in this game and you don't see that too often. I liked that Bruce was actually Bruce, a person and not just a 'mask' for Batman.

CONS:

I wanted more Selina in the story.

The frame rate can be jumpy in parts, especially at the beginning of the last chapter (I played on PS4) and there are some odd animations that can be a little jarring.

You really aren't punished all that much if you miss the button prompts. You can actually miss enough to 'lose' and start over from a checkpoint but it's not too challenging. For me, I was okay with this, as I was engrossed in the story and bought the game primarily for that reason, but if you are basing your purchase on that type of challenge, you will be disappointed. I found the challenge was in the decision making and that worked just fine for me.

All in all, each episode is about 1.5-2 hours, so if you can find this game for $20, I feel like you'll get really good bang for your buck.

ok, I think I'll give it a shot. Thanks folks.

If you can get it on a deal, get it. Don't expect the comics version though.

Well I finally played it, and I really loved the story! I dug the liberties it took, having gone in with minimum spoilers. Favorite part was the emphasis on Bruce Wayne, the side of Batman I admittedly lost interest in. But here I gained some new appreciation for him. I loved how there were situations where you could choose whether to go in as Bruce or as Bats. The voice acting was all top notch. Also It had one of the more interesting versions of Harvey Dent, I've seen in a while. My version of him never lost half his face, and which kinda made his fall from grace seem more gradual than being triggered mostly from one event.
    I agree that the game play was really bad. Even for a 'point and click game.' Like Lady Nightwing said, sometimes you'd hit the buttons right and Bats would still get punched or get a blow blocked, and sometimes you'd not hit the buttons right and Batman would beat the bad guy anyway. If that's what they were doing, they shoulda just made it a cutscene. But like I said it's a point and click game, so nobody plays for the gameplay.
    So thanks for the recommendation, I really liked it.

Hey FishyZombie any frame rate issues on Xbox one? Just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    Hey FishyZombie any frame rate issues on Xbox one? Just to satisfy my own curiosity.
    yeah, like all telltale games, there are a lot of lags.