Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chuck Dixon

Default Chuck Dixon

Tell me about him please. I'm reading Knightfall now- vol 2. Then saw that he's writing a current Bane book. Did a little digging and found a long run on Robin, and Knightwing. I'm relatively new to comics, after a 30 year break or so. Just curious on what your opinions and suggestions are. Thanks!

BANNED

He's written an awful lot so its hard to pin point.

I'd say Batgirl Year One, Robin Year One and Vengeance of Bane are his strongest contributions. His entire body of work on Tim Drake is pretty good but I dont care about his Nightwing work. Oh and Birds of Prey, that run was pretty good. He's got some other solid Bane stuff like Vengeance of Bane 2, Bane of the Demon, Bane etc

Extraordinary Member

To specify for Tim Drake, if you want to save money and still see how good he is, track down a copy of the first Robin miniseries. And I actually really liked his Nightwing stuff, though I suppose in hindsight it was Daredevil derivative.

The fact the guy launched Robin, Nightwing, and Birds of Prey as solo books does kind of explain just how consistently good his stuff was. This isn't a recommendation, but just a fun story; supposedly at a convention, a fan of Cassandra Cain (from when Steph became Batgril and Cass was in limbo) thanked him for being the last person to write her really well, and he had to struggle to remember that DC had plugged him into the Outsiders book where she was for a short time.

The guy may never have quite written seminal arcs like some of his more famous peers, but the man kind of defines "work horse" among comic writers.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Chuck Dixon is amazing.

He easily makes my top 5 Batman writers of all time

Tim Drake became a fan favourite because of him. 'Nuff Said

Extraordinary Member

DC stared recently to reprint his runs of Robin, Nightwing and Birds of Prey as Trades, I would check out these. Especally his Robin Minis and Birds of Prey Manhunt are quite good. Robin Year One and Batgirl Year One (avsilable in one trade) are also great.

I find it still amazing how many great Batfamily series he wrote parrallel.

Extraordinary Member

His 100 issue run on Robin is one of the best comics to come out of the 90s.

Great Batman family writer, have not read it yet, but it is nice DC has him working on Bane hopefully he gets more work.

Solid journey man writer, no?
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Great Batman family writer
    I never thought of this label before, but Dixon is: THE best Batman family writer (defined as a writer who really wrote a lot of Batman family members at some length). He somewhat has this title because he's one of the few writers to actually qualify for the label perhaps. But also, he was great at it. Great characterization skills. And a skilled fun genre writer.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

His runs on Robin and Nightwing are both musts. So many awesome things about Tim's personality and relationships are due to Chuck. He had a long run paired with Graham Nolan and Scott Hanna on Detective Comics that makes for good reading and artwork. Outside of Batman, the only thing I am familiar with is his Punisher work.

Now that he's on working terms with DC again, I'd love for him to get his hands back on Tim when he comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I never thought of this label before, but Dixon is: THE best Batman family writer (defined as a writer who really wrote a lot of Batman family members at some length). He somewhat has this title because he's one of the few writers to actually qualify for the label perhaps. But also, he was great at it. Great characterization skills. And a skilled fun genre writer.
    Yeah he would probably the best, Morrison is up there too, but his was more contained. Dixon is top notch Batman, but when they gave him Robin and Nightwing he just did amazing long term work and world building. His Year One stuff was great hopefully he can get Red Robin Rebirth at some point down the line.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    To specify for Tim Drake, if you want to save money and still see how good he is, track down a copy of the first Robin miniseries. And I actually really liked his Nightwing stuff, though I suppose in hindsight it was Daredevil derivative.

The fact the guy launched Robin, Nightwing, and Birds of Prey as solo books does kind of explain just how consistently good his stuff was. This isn't a recommendation, but just a fun story; supposedly at a convention, a fan of Cassandra Cain (from when Steph became Batgril and Cass was in limbo) thanked him for being the last person to write her really well, and he had to struggle to remember that DC had plugged him into the Outsiders book where she was for a short time.

The guy may never have quite written seminal arcs like some of his more famous peers, but the man kind of defines "work horse" among comic writers.
    This is a fantastic summary of his stuff. And I do recommend his 10 issues of Batman and the Outsiders. It's just fun team books - and I almost always hate team books, so I was really impressed that I enjoyed this one so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    DC stared recently to reprint his runs of Robin, Nightwing and Birds of Prey as Trades, I would check out these. Especally his Robin Minis and Birds of Prey Manhunt are quite good. Robin Year One and Batgirl Year One (avsilable in one trade) are also great.

I find it still amazing how many great Batfamily series he wrote parrallel.
    If you're looking to get into him, DC has made a lot of his collections available in the last few years. The Knightfall three-volume stuff is the most famous thing he worked out, but the new Robin Tim Drake reprints, and the new Birds of Prey reprints are gorgeous, well put together books, and really feature his work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Great Batman family writer, have not read it yet, but it is nice DC has him working on Bane hopefully he gets more work.
    The new Bane is vintage Dixon in a modern continuity. I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by SicariiDC View Post
    Solid journey man writer, no?
    Absolutely. But how many writers are as consistent?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Spectacular Member Fearless Heart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    This is a fantastic summary of his stuff. And I do recommend his 10 issues of Batman and the Outsiders. It's just fun team books - and I almost always hate team books, so I was really impressed that I enjoyed this one so much.

Absolutely. But how many writers are as consistent?
    I'm going to have to check that out! I loved Mike W. Barr's Batman and the Outsiders, and I love Chuck Dixon, so I know I'll love it!

He is one of the most consistent writers ever. Vengeance of Bane 1 is the only story of his that I rank in my top comic stories, but Chuck Dixon is a writer that I can always depend on for entertainment. Plus, he's one of, if not the best action writers that I'm familiar with.

I'm curious how his Spongebob and Simpsons work is because all I've read is his more serious stuff, and I love his sense in humor in those works

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Heart View Post
    I'm going to have to check that out! I loved Mike W. Barr's Batman and the Outsiders, and I love Chuck Dixon, so I know I'll love it!

He is one of the most consistent writers ever. Vengeance of Bane 1 is the only story of his that I rank in my top comic stories, but Chuck Dixon is a writer that I can always depend on for entertainment. Plus, he's one of, if not the best action writers that I'm familiar with.

I'm curious how his Spongebob and Simpsons work is because all I've read is his more serious stuff, and I love his sense in humor in those works
    That's a good question - I have difficulty checking out some of his other stuff, because I'm just not invested in those properties, but I have enjoyed his novels.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord