Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does movie Batman need Bruce Wayne?

Coming out of reports that Affleck might be stepping out of the role, and Batman's possible involvement in the other Batman-universe spin-off movies, not to mention being in the JL, how important is it that there be much (if any) screentime for Bruce Wayne outside of his own films? (and even then, the Bruce Wayne parts were usually the weakest parts, imo) Nolan had a trilogy in mind that culminated in Bruce leaving Gotham and Batman behind. Do we need Bruce Wayne to have an arc or do we just need Batman to be Batman? (personally, I think the best arc for Bruce would be the whole Damian storyline, but not that I'm clamoring for it...)

Yes, only Bruce Wayne should be Batman. It would be like trying to replace Clark Kent with someone else after he died in BvS.

I think Bruce Wayne is an essential part of Batman, so I don't think you can really separate those two aspects, but you could probably have either make cameos in other movies fairly easily unless it's a more major role like in a Justice League film or a Bat-family movie.

And people have been suggesting Affleck would be dropping out once the critical reaction for BvS came out, but until I see official confirmation I'm just going to assume we'll still have him in the role for the foreseeable future.

Ideas MR's trilogy could he a prequel series telling the story of how Bruce got to where he is and if Bruce retires after Justice League they could do the rumored Nightwing film and passed the torch to him since BA has one more film post Justice League in his contract or he could ask Batgirl to take his place in the DCEU.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Mask of the Phantasm is great example of how Bruce is real character of his own and a very interesting one when done right.

As Frontier said, Bruce Wayne is an essential part of Batman. The Bronze Age really gave Bruce some space to breath and live and it was cool and fun.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I almost quit reading Batman in the 90's because you could go months without an appearance of Bruce as Bruce.

Basically having someone other than Bruce Wayne as Batman in the movies is like having Patience Phillips as Catwoman in a movie.

BANNED

In the case of the DCEU movies, I think they need Ben Afleck far more than they need Bruce Wayne.

Extraordinary Member

You can do it on a special occassion, you really can't do it for an extended period. You could make a 3 film deal with Dick and Damian with the whole thing building to Bruce's return. You can't just say "here is your new Batman".

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    In the case of the DCEU movies, I think they need Ben Afleck far more than they need Bruce Wayne.
    If was any other character I might agree, but we have had 5 different actors in this role in the last 30 years. I think as long as they make a good choice for whoever takes over the role they will be fine. I hope Afleck sticks around but if his heart isn't in it I am open to him walking away.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yes. We need Affleck for at least The Batman. Dude deserves at least one universally well received solo outing as the character after all the shit he's had to deal with from the internet. BvS's problems can't even be blamed on him or the rest of the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Mask of the Phantasm is great example of how Bruce is real character of his own and a very interesting one when done right.

As Frontier said, Bruce Wayne is an essential part of Batman. The Bronze Age really gave Bruce some space to breath and live and it was cool and fun.
    Yes, all this "Bruce Wayne is the least interesting character in the Bat-mythos" crap gets shot down with MoTP.

And that's why Bronze Age Batman is best Batman of all.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yes. We need Affleck for at least The Batman. Dude deserves at least one universally well received solo outing as the character after all the shit he's had to deal with from the internet. BvS's problems can't even be blamed on him or the rest of the cast.

Yes, all this "Bruce Wayne is the least interesting character in the Bat-mythos" crap gets shot down with MoTP.

And that's why Bronze Age Batman is best Batman of all.
    My thoughts as well. Batfleck has earned some good press. My favourite things about Batman are that he's too rich to care in a real world and yet he's out there every night helping others. I like the kick-ass detective but never know-it-all, paranoid Batgod.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Yes, only Bruce Wayne should be Batman. It would be like trying to replace Clark Kent with someone else after he died in BvS.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't suggesting that someone else be Batman, just wondering how much people need to see Bruce Wayne in the movies or would it be better to not bother giving Bruce a storyarc and keep it more Batman-centric.

BANNED

Of course Batman needs Bruce Wayne. The only story where Batman abandoning his Bruce Wayne alter ego ever really worked was Fugitive, and I could see them adapting that storyarc for films but...we would still see Bruce, we're still gonna see him with his cowl off, so no point really.

Ben isn't leaving the role. We'll get a trilogy of films with him; after that it would definitely be cool to see Dick Grayson step take up the mantle. I really really loved him as Batman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    The only story where Batman abandoning his Bruce Wayne alter ego ever really worked was Fugitive...
    Eh, how? It was the story Rucka and Brubaker wrote to point out that there isn't a Batman without Bruce Wayne, that the whole "Batman is the person, Bruce Wayne is the mask" line is nonsens.