Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Ben Reilly and Julia Carpenter Make ''Crappiest Legacy Characters'' List

http://www.cbr.com/bad-seeds-the-15-...aracters-ever/

Ben's Entry:

The ’90s was a messy time to be a comic book fan. Characters were getting rebooted, redesigned, or, as was the case with Spider-Man, cloned and then replaced. While Spidey has suffered many indignities over his decades-spanning career, few were as profoundly silly and poorly thought out as Ben Reilly.

During the debacle known as the Clone Saga, Peter discovered that he had long-lost clones running around, eventually leading to clone Ben Reilly taking over the Spider-Man mantle after Peter opted to retire from super heroics. Sure, it seems kinda silly to have Peter replaced by a guy who looks just like him, but Marvel was quick to remind readers how different Ben was. Why, Ben Reilly had blonde hair! And a new outfit! Totally different! Ben Reilly has a strong fan following, but his tenure as Spidey wasn’t the Web Slinger’s proudest moment.
    Julia's entry

Despite the remarkably similar names, Spider-Woman has very little to do with Spider-Man. Sure, that opens up a whole conversation of, “Why even name her Spider-Woman if she is just a separate character?” But let’s focus here. Despite Jessica Drew having nothing to do with Peter Parker, fans took a shine to the character, primarily because she was totally different from Spidey. Marvel saw that, let out a mighty “Nope,” and gave the world Julia Carpenter.

When Julia assumed the Spider-Woman mantle in 1984, fans noted a remarkable similarity to the wall crawler. Carpenter wore a suit inspired by Spidey’s black duds, wielded a set of powers similar to Spidey, and generally just acted like Spidey, rendering her a D-Grade knock-off of a popular character, wearing another popular character’s name. Drew wouldn’t return to the persona she made famous until the mid-2000’s, but Carpenter’s run as Spider-Woman was uneventful and, well, crappy.
    Sucks also to see Thunderstrike on there, but then, I love DeFalco/Frenz stuff.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 06-10-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Incredible Member

These lists are trash

Does Julia even really count as a legacy hero? I don't think she was intended as much, and she's probably closer to Spider-Man then Jessica is, on-top of having already been a single Mom Spider-Woman before Jessica made it cool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Does Julia even really count as a legacy hero? I don't think she was intended as much, and she's probably closer to Spider-Man then Jessica is, on-top of having already been a single Mom Spider-Woman before Jessica made it cool.
    She's also the only Spider-Character Marvel should ever 'ship Tony Stark with.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Listen, if any Spider-Woman is making a "crappiest legacy character" list, we all know it should be Mattie Franklin.

Ben Reilly is a pretty big character to be considered crappy but they put NIck Fury Jr. and Robbie Reyes on the list so I'm cool with this list

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Julia Carpenter's Spider-Woman outfit inspired Spider-Man's black costume, not the other way around. Not only is this list insulting, it is also poorly researched. It can be the kindling for my fireplace . . . if I had a fireplace.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Julia wanted to be called Arachne; it was her government handlers who insisted on "Spider-Woman," probably figuring the name would give her more of an in with the superhero community as they knew the original.

Carpenter wore a suit inspired by Spidey’s black duds,
    Wrong!

Someone needs to re-read the original Secret Wars...

Incredible Member

The only characters I'd personally classify as crappy on this list are, New 52 Lobo, Power Kid & probably Teen Tony. (although just looking 90's Dr Fate & Walter West I can see just by appearance why people might not like them lol)

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    These lists are trash
    for real..

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Ben Reilly is a pretty big character to be considered crappy but they put NIck Fury Jr. and Robbie Reyes on the list so I'm cool with this list
    I don't like Robbie Reyes but that doesn't stop the list from being trash.
    Especially since Nick Fury Jr comic is awesome.

Spectacular Member Fearless Heart's Avatar

Woah! Those are controversial choices. Although, I don't seem to agree with any CBR lists.

I love Ben, Walter West, Jean Paul Valley, and John Walker. To each his own.

John Walker was supposed to be unlikeable as Captain America because he was supposed to embody exactly what Captain America, in Mark Gruenwald's eyes, shouldn't be --- a narrow-minded, belligerent jingoist who's all "America, f*** yeah!" in contrast to Steve Rogers, who while loving his country greatly isn't blind to its faults and moral failings and is willing to call it out on those faults and failings. Similarly, Jean-Paul Valley was supposed to be a bad replacement for Batman, to symbolize exactly what Batman shouldn't be or allow himself to become. Again, this list is insulting and poorly researched, and deserves nothing more than to be kindling in someone's fireplace.

90's Ben Reilly was basically Peter Parker, so I don't know how he could be a crappy successor.

2017 Ben Reilly, OTOH...