Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Just read the first arc & really enjoyed it.

This book has moved to the top of my list. It's literally the book I most look forward to, now. Who'd have thought? I just hope that sales improve, and that Liefeld doesn't do a Liefeld and just suddenly pull the book from production. It'd be such a shame to lose this terrific comic.

liefeld promotes it pretty heavily on social media, and he keeps teasing an eventual youngblood movie so i'm hoping this series continues on unabated. i think liefeld is trying to launch a new brigade series in an effort to develop his extreme universe, too.

I know there's supposed to be a Bloodstrike series out this year. Wasn't aware of Brigade. That ship has long sailed, and I feel sorry for those who contributed to that Kickstarter.

One thing i'm curious about with the current YB series: can Dutch appear? He was missing in the massive team shot in Bloodsport, and if you check indicia, he's listed as being owned by Chap Yaep. That leaves me curious if Rob has a good relationship with Chap still, as I'd love to see Dutch in this new series.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    Yes I am a closet Youngblood fan and so surprise that I saw two issues in two months, but I'm not getting my hopes up unless I see issue 12 in 2018 then I'll be excited lol.
    Well, we're up to number 10, so far. Ten issues in eleven months, there was a two month gap-between #6 and $7, that's pretty damn regular. I think it's safe to get your hopes up now, at least in terms of the creative team's abilities to get this book done on-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    This book has moved to the top of my list. It's literally the book I most look forward to, now. Who'd have thought? I just hope that sales improve, and that Liefeld doesn't do a Liefeld and just suddenly pull the book from production. It'd be such a shame to lose this terrific comic.
    Well, this is a business. Rob's not putting this out for charity. Whatever the sales are, if they fall below whatever the profitable line is, then it will get pulled from productions. So if you don't want that to happen, then not only must you keep buying it but do your best to encourage others to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    liefeld promotes it pretty heavily on social media, and he keeps teasing an eventual youngblood movie so i'm hoping this series continues on unabated.
    But he also keep encouraging his fans to spread the word about the book. So, again, movie plans or not, if the book doesn't sell, it won't continue.

One thing i'm curious about with the current YB series: can Dutch appear? He was missing in the massive team shot in Bloodsport, and if you check indicia, he's listed as being owned by Chap Yaep. That leaves me curious if Rob has a good relationship with Chap still, as I'd love to see Dutch in this new series.
    Well, Dutch was wholly creator-owned by Yaep, and I'd assume whatever deal was in place for Liefeld to use him is long over, hence his absence from Bloodsport. Presumably Rob could approach him to re-license or outright buy the rights to the character but, in honestly, I doubt it will happen, just because, frankly, I don't think the character is essential to the title. He's basically just another Big Guy with Big Guns. There's already a ton of Youngblood characters that Rob does own outright that he can easily use if necessary.

https://www.newsarama.com/39075-youn...or-marvel.html
    I wonder who the new artist will be after issue #11.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    https://www.newsarama.com/39075-youn...or-marvel.html
    I wonder who the new artist will be after issue #11.
    Damn, I somehow missed that news. Good news for Towe, career-wise, I guess. But as for the series, losing the regular artist is usually not a very good sign.
    Last edited by iblogalot; 03-30-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Amazing Member

I'm a bit concerned that the solicitation for issue 12 notes that it is the start of a new story arc...and that the solicitation for issue 13 notes that is the start of a different, new story arc.

https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/youngblood-12

https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/youngblood-13

I recognize that Youngblood runs going unfinished are par for the course...but I was really enjoying Bowers and Towe's work. Hoping Rob and company get everything sorted and we see some manner of conclusion to the current run...before firing off in a new direction.

Quote Originally Posted by amharner View Post
    I'm a bit concerned that the solicitation for issue 12 notes that it is the start of a new story arc...and that the solicitation for issue 13 notes that is the start of a different, new story arc.

https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/youngblood-12

https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/youngblood-13

I recognize that Youngblood runs going unfinished are par for the course...but I was really enjoying Bowers and Towe's work. Hoping Rob and company get everything sorted and we see some manner of conclusion to the current run...before firing off in a new direction.
    i'm right there with you guys, i really hope something gets sorted out. the way they brought back the book from Judgement Day in #1 really had me interested, I was hoping Rob was going to use Youngblood as the flagship in an all-out Extreme-verse revival.

Quote Originally Posted by iblogalot View Post
    Well, we're up to number 10, so far. Ten issues in eleven months, there was a two month gap-between #6 and $7, that's pretty damn regular. I think it's safe to get your hopes up now, at least in terms of the creative team's abilities to get this book done on-time.

Well, this is a business. Rob's not putting this out for charity. Whatever the sales are, if they fall below whatever the profitable line is, then it will get pulled from productions. So if you don't want that to happen, then not only must you keep buying it but do your best to encourage others to check it out.

But he also keep encouraging his fans to spread the word about the book. So, again, movie plans or not, if the book doesn't sell, it won't continue.

Well, Dutch was wholly creator-owned by Yaep, and I'd assume whatever deal was in place for Liefeld to use him is long over, hence his absence from Bloodsport. Presumably Rob could approach him to re-license or outright buy the rights to the character but, in honestly, I doubt it will happen, just because, frankly, I don't think the character is essential to the title. He's basically just another Big Guy with Big Guns. There's already a ton of Youngblood characters that Rob does own outright that he can easily use if necessary.
    This is such a blow, losing Towe. His art was magnificent. I'm devastated that he's leaving.

And while of course this is a business, Liefeld has messed with the book before while it was doing okay under other creators, hence my trepidation.

And of course Dutch isn't necessary for the book, as he's merely one of a ton of characters ripe for re-introduction. But I like the character, and his omission in Bloodsport was jarring to me. He was a main character, and considered important enough that he was included in the initial wave of McToys figures, so he was certainly seen as a flagship character at one stage. It's not like Yaep is doing anything with him, so why not bring him back here in some capacity? I just don't know if Rob's tried, I doubt he has, and I'd really like to see them work out the ability to use him, or even better, to have Chap return with Dutch for something. He's a talented man, and I'd love to see how his art has progressed.

And while of course this is a business, Liefeld has messed with the book before while it was doing okay under other creators, hence my trepidation.
    Oh, believe me, I completely understood your initial trepidation. Even as a fan of Rob's, I can admit that his track record with his creator owned books is spotty, at best. Of the top of my head I'm not even sure how many attempts at a regular ongoing Youngblood series (not counting unfinished side-projects and miniseries like Bloodsport and Imperial) this latest one is? So I don't blame you for holding back in the beginning, I was just pointing that we'd now gotten 10 issues published on pretty regular basis, which should be reassuring.

But, as I said, I didn't know about the loss of Towe, and the plans now for Rob to take over as regular artist, at least for the next arc. So once again I can understand some fans being hesitant, as the last time he took over a Youngblood series from the regular artist he did one issue and then it ended (on a cliffhanger, no less).

Yep, I'm worried this is the Casey run 2.0. I really hope Rob's looking for a new regular artist, as he is not the guy to do it, judging by his own history. And the book has never been in a better place creatively. And I say that as someone who was not at all enthused for this iteration. I wasn't impressed by what we initially saw, expecting a Donovan and Casey retread (I hate that version) but when it came out it blew me away with good old-fashioned quality. I was wrong to doubt either of those guys. But now the future seems murky, and frankly I'm not sure if there even is a future.

. Plus there's all that Kickstarter nastiness with Brigade Rob still needs to get on top of.

Personally I'm still waiting for Bloodsport #2, lol.

Amazing Member

So issue #11 dropped today. It's a nice enough conclusion to the current arc...though there are a plenty of threads left open. It also ends with an announcement for the next arc, Blood War, by Bowers and Liefeld. Apparently it ships June 6. No indication of how it will tie into the current run or recent developments. Here's hoping it doesn't go the way of Casey's run and abruptly shift gears with no explanation. Despite my reservations, I am still rooting for this series.
    Last edited by amharner; 05-09-2018 at 04:44 PM.

i never read the casey youngblood series, can you guys clue me in on what you're referring to about his run??

Amazing Member

i never read the casey youngblood series, can you guys clue me in on what you're referring to about his run??
    Casey's story ran for eight issues and ended on a cliffhanger. Rob took over and jettisoned the plot entirely to tell a story that focused on newly elected President Obama. Said story also went unfinished as the book was promptly cancelled.