Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

I do not think that Robin should be defined as singular role that needs to meet certain standards. Robin should be whoever Bruce needs in the suit to help him keep from going to far, if this is done by a street kid, circus boy, or trained assassin who he is trying to reform they can all help push Bruce to be better and he can make sure they better themselves in return.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    I do not think that Robin should be defined as singular role that needs to meet certain standards. Robin should be whoever Bruce needs in the suit to help him keep from going to far, if this is done by a street kid, circus boy, or trained assassin who he is trying to reform they can all help push Bruce to be better and he can make sure they better themselves in return.
    Okay I agree that Batman's sidekick should he decide to have one should be whatever he needs. However two issues i have:

First Batman does not need a sidekick to stop him from going too far. That patronising rubbish was just an excuse used to introduce Tim in a favourable way so he didn't go the same way as Jason. Batman's sidekick was introduced to be a young audience stand in. Something that today is 100% not needed.

Fans only bemoan the lack of B&R because of nostalgia but the fact is that Batman DOES NOT NEED Robin. At all. He's over Jason The death of Damian took care of that. when that happened he proactively like a Boss handled it by taking on Darksied and bringing him back. He's sidekick's have died so often that he's gotten pretty zen about it. When Tim died he took that in his stride and was just fine. So he is okay. Plus he has Alfred who has 90% more sway than any sidekick ever had in keeping Bruce/ Batman grounded.

Second Robin belongs to Dick Grayson he created the role. I never liked Bruce getting to decide who gets Dicks old togs and Dick said as much in Nightwing.

I agree with the Batman's deciding what his partner's role should be part but those other two are pet peeves of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Okay I agree that Batman's sidekick should he decide to have one should be whatever he needs. However two issues i have:

First Batman does not need a sidekick to stop him from going too far. That patronising rubbish was just an excuse used to introduce Tim in a favourable way so he didn't go the same way as Jason. Batman's sidekick was introduced to be a young audience stand in. Something that today is 100% not needed.

Fans only bemoan the lack of B&R because of nostalgia but the fact is that Batman DOES NOT NEED Robin. At all. He's over Jason The death of Damian took care of that. when that happened he proactively like a Boss handled it by taking on Darksied and bringing him back. He's sidekick's have died so often that he's gotten pretty zen about it. When Tim died he took that in his stride and was just fine. So he is okay. Plus he has Alfred who has 90% more sway than any sidekick ever had in keeping Bruce/ Batman grounded.

Second Robin belongs to Dick Grayson he created the role. I never liked Bruce getting to decide who gets Dicks old togs and Dick said as much in Nightwing.

I agree with the Batman's deciding what his partner's role should be part but those other two are pet peeves of mine.
    Having Grayson remain in the role would have completely killed the character a long time ago. Him becoming Nightwing lead to much better stuff then his time as Robin. He does need a Robin as they usually end up being better character then Batman. Just about every writer, but Morrison does more character growth on the Batman family, but Bruce always remains the same. Morrison changed it made him evolve then Snyder ruined it and brought him back to a brooding asshole.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Having Grayson remain in the role would have completely killed the character a long time ago. Him becoming Nightwing lead to much better stuff then his time as Robin. He does need a Robin as they usually end up being better character then Batman. Just about every writer, but Morrison does more character growth on the Batman family, but Bruce always remains the same. Morrison changed it made him evolve then Snyder ruined it and brought him back to a brooding asshole.
    No I didn't mean Dick remaining Robin I meant that Dick should have more say in who inherits the Mantle. Damian becoming Robin was significant in that Dick chose him.

I think that the number of people complaining about the lack of solo Batman and the success of solo broody Batman say otherwise. Batman is as broody as a writer wants to make him nothing to do with Robin. King's Batman doesn't have a Robin has no interaction with Duke yet he is fine.

Don't get me wrong I would love Damian in the Bat books and I will give my right arm for another B&R title but I'm not going to sit here and lie that Batman needs Robin in any way he doesn't. Alfred is all the voice of reason Batman ever needed

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    No I didn't mean Dick remaining Robin I meant that Dick should have more say in who inherits the Mantle. Damian becoming Robin was significant in that Dick chose him.

I think that the number of people complaining about the lack of solo Batman and the success of solo broody Batman say otherwise. Batman is as broody as a writer wants to make him nothing to do with Robin. King's Batman doesn't have a Robin has no interaction with Duke yet he is fine.

Don't get me wrong I would love Damian in the Bat books and I will give my right arm for another B&R title but I'm not going to sit here and lie that Batman needs Robin in any way he doesn't. Alfred is all the voice of reason Batman ever needed
    well i agree, but I believe bruce didn't need robin he needed dick grayson at that point in his life. dick as a kid remined bruce of what he lost and were he was going.

it was dick that needed robin so that he wouldn't end up going were bruce was going.

All I know is you pull Robin you end up with the garbage Snyder fed us for years.