Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,560

    Default Best and Worst Spider-Man Prose Novels

    Spidey has had several prose novels over the decades, which one did you think was the best and which one did you think was the worst?

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,183

    Default

    Ultimate Spider-Man (the book of short Spider-Man stories from 1994, not the comic) has some good stuff, including a great story by Peter David called "Five Minutes".

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Ultimate Spider-Man (the book of short Spider-Man stories from 1994, not the comic) has some good stuff, including a great story by Peter David called "Five Minutes".
    Yeah, that was pretty good.

    Peter David also had a decent take on Spider-Man's origin (officially cowritten with Stan Lee; it seemed to be a prose version of an aborted screenplay from the 80s; Peter David's voice shines through on that.)

  4. #4

    Default

    Best: Adam-Troy Castro's Sinister Six trilogy is very good. It give us The Gentleman who is my second favorite Spider-Man villain after the Green Goblin. In fact The Gentleman was the mysterious man in those god awful Marc Webb movies.
    Carnage in New York, and Goblin's revenge are great too.
    Also Diane Duane's Venom trilogy is pretty great too.

    Worst: John Vornholt's Valley of the Lizard. Chupacabras don't belong in Spider-Man's universe. Plus most of the book is just Peter reading Curt's diary.

  5. #5
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Yeah, that was pretty good.

    Peter David also had a decent take on Spider-Man's origin (officially cowritten with Stan Lee; it seemed to be a prose version of an aborted screenplay from the 80s; Peter David's voice shines through on that.)
    Yep--usually I don't like writer-inserted retcons, but PAD having Officer Stan Carter at the scene of Ben Parker's murder in that story I thought was a super-neat touch.

    There's also a great story in there by Craig Shaw Gardner, "Kraven The Hunter Is Dead, Alas", where Mysterio starts playing around with the dark arts in an effort to presumably raise Kraven from the dead. Spooky stuff!!

    http://spiderfan.org/comics/title/sp....html#ultimate

  6. #6
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    5,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    Best: Adam-Troy Castro's Sinister Six trilogy is very good. It give us The Gentleman who is my second favorite Spider-Man villain after the Green Goblin. In fact The Gentleman was the mysterious man in those god awful Marc Webb movies.
    Yah, this is my favorite.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  7. #7
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    429

    Default

    I've just started reading that trilogy, almost finished book one and I am in awe.

    It's not just a good Spider-Man book, it's a great book. Period.

    I love how ATC gets Peter, MJ and all the villians. Flash is used great, Betty, Jonah. Good to see a novel where MJ plays a more active part. Great use of the marriage, supporting cast, everything. I love the sly cameos, references to other comics, storylines and novels. Should be required reading for every Spider-Man fan.

    Worst novel? I haven't enjoyed the latest two. Forever Young had some good moments, but ultimately was a bit of a chore while Kraven's Last Hunt was a poor imitation of the original comic.

    I haven't read every Spider-Man novel yet, only the more recent ones, but am hoping to get them all at some point.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •