Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Editor Nick Lowe discusses Superior Octopus

https://news.marvel.com/comics/66727...-rise-octopus/

My prediction is that Otto will have the upper hand at first, but will either get defeated by Peter or screw up on his own in a way that gives Peter the upper hand. Superior Spider Man was just a longer version of that scenario.

It's kinda surprising not seeing any new artwork for the upcoming issues.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

BANNED

FFS, just give Otto his own title already. This is beyond sad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Agreed...I am so tired of this never ending, year after year Doc Ock story and hearing about the one note hit wonder called Superior Spider-man.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    Agreed...I am so tired of this never ending, year after year Doc Ock story and hearing about the one note hit wonder called Superior Spider-man.
    Nothing is more tiresome than the constant complaining that comes from the same people.

I just don't understand being a source of negativity on these boards, day after day after day.

I think the work Slott has done with Doc Ock has been fantastic; there hasn't been a writer in all my years of reading - not counting back issues from before I was born - who has made Ock such a huge threat for Spidey.

But why discuss it? Why discuss anything when every discussion is led down the same path by those who hate Slott's take on Spidey?

If I hated his work as much as you do, I sure as hell wouldn't spend my time writing about it on message boards.

Is it important for people to hear how much you don't like something? Are our lives all better because your distaste is described in excruciating detail?

-Pav, who votes this his life is not enhanced by the overt negativity...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Nothing is more tiresome than the constant complaining that comes from the same people.

I just don't understand being a source of negativity on these boards, day after day after day.

I think the work Slott has done with Doc Ock has been fantastic; there hasn't been a writer in all my years of reading - not counting back issues from before I was born - who has made Ock such a huge threat for Spidey.

But why discuss it? Why discuss anything when every discussion is led down the same path by those who hate Slott's take on Spidey?

If I hated his work as much as you do, I sure as hell wouldn't spend my time writing about it on message boards.

Is it important for people to hear how much you don't like something? Are our lives all better because your distaste is described in excruciating detail?

Well said, Pav.

I'm sure it'll fall on deaf ears but well said.

There's been very popular runs on characters that haven't clicked for me but I would never dream of wasting my time endlessly posting about how much I hated them and getting into the exact same arguments day in and day out.

As for Ock...

I agree. For the longest time, despite his high standing in Spidey's rogue gallery, Ock was always a little bit of a joke. He was the chubby guy with a bowl hair cut who oftentimes could be foiled by some webbing on his glasses. But Slott has increased his threat level, deepened his character and made it hard to make a convincing case that anyone else - even Osborn - is Spidey's true #1 nemesis. Very excited to see where SE and the Superior Octopus storyline will take the character next.

BANNED

Doc Ock used to be one of my favorite villains, Spider-Man 2 really made me love the character, and then "Superior" happened and now this "superior octopus" crap and I can't even stand him anymore.
    I swear if ASM wasn't the main Spider-Man title I would've dropped it by now.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TitanMax View Post
    Doc Ock used to be one of my favorite villains, Spider-Man 2 really made me love the character, and then "Superior" happened and now this "superior octopus" crap and I can't even stand him anymore.
    I swear if ASM wasn't the main Spider-Man title I would've dropped it by now.
    No one is stopping you, or the hundred others on these boards who complain all the time instead of letting the stories play out first.

I am sure no one bitched about Claremont on Uncanny X-Men when he wrote that for 17 years. And not all those stories were the best.
    No one bitches about Bendis and Ultimate Spider-Man. Nope - that man does no wrong. Except not all his stories are great either.

Either enjoy the ride and let stories play out and then bitch, or just leave.

Incredible Member

And don't try and tell me that I shouldn't have problem with this run of Spider-Man because Claremont's X-Men wasn't perfect because that's dumb and has nothing to do with this.
    Actually it does. Not every run is going to be perfect. But this board is drenched in people constantly saying they want this to end. The best way to end this would be to stop buying the titles. Stop wasting your money on something you don't like and save yourself the grief.

How many times have i dropped titles when i felt they sucked? Why should i waste my money on something i hate? It's really that simple.

Why must all topics be flooded with how much this sucks or that sucks?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Actually it does. Not every run is going to be perfect. But this board is drenched in people constantly saying they want this to end. The best way to end this would be to stop buying the titles. Stop wasting your money on something you don't like and save yourself the grief.

How many times have i dropped titles when i felt they sucked? Why should i waste my money on something i hate? It's really that simple.

Why must all topics be flooded with how much this sucks or that sucks?
    I don't waste money on it.
    I know better than that, I'll let my brother waste money and read his but while Slott is still writing I won't spend a dime on it.

Incredible Member

I don't waste money on it.
    I know better than that, I'll let my brother waste money and read his but while Slott is still writing I won't spend a dime on it.
    Problem solved.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Problem solved.
    No it isn't, Slott is still writing and still sucks.

i'm a little worn out on doc ock too. but i like that we are getting a newer, enhanced version of the character. i enjoyed superior, but was glad that ock handed everything back over to pete. he is better as a villain.

No it isn't, Slott is still writing and still sucks.
    Why do we need to hear about how much you don't like it?

Perhaps you could try posting about what you like - or about some interesting analysis of something Spidey-related - rather than just ranting about what is "crap" in your eyes.

-Pav, who wishes every poster offered constructive criticism and thoughtful analysis rather than overly-emotional diatribes...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

Pav, you seem a little more reasonable than some around here. You'll have to excuse some of us that are sick of having Otto be the de-facto deuteragonist of the Spider-Man book for well over five years now and counting.

It's overdone, and by now wearing more than a little thin. Precious few other villains get even any focus.

If Slott seems so intent on writing Otto, than having him star in his own book seems like a fair compromise. Otherwise, Otto needs a break. Not even when they brought Norman back did he drive the narrative to this insane extent.

I don't expect you to agree, but I am trying to explain where some of us are coming from.