View Poll Results: How special should Diana be among the Amazons?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Incomparable/born blessed by the gods/daughter of zeus

22 40.00%
  • The very best

17 30.91%
  • Amongst the very best

13 23.64%
  • Above average

2 3.64%
  • Average

1 1.82%
  • Below average

0 0%
  • Princess training (received a lot of diplomatic training, with only basic Amazonian training)

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

Default How special should Diana be among the Amazons?

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    • Other than being princess, Diana shouldn't particularly be special among the Amazons.

They are suppose to be an island of nigh perfect women just like her, and any of them should be able to fill her shoes as Wonder Woman. This isn't to devalue Diana of course, mind you, as she is still the one most suitable for the mantle. But the trial to determine Wonder Woman should have essentially been a mental, physical, spiritual, emotional, etc trial, where Diana wasn't the best in any category (or even top ten for that matter), but she won cause she was the most balanced. Too often are the Amazons discredited and Diana treated as a special snowflake even though she wouldn't be the woman she is without them.
    So, I had posted this in the Controversial Wonderverse Opinions Thread, and I feel like it's an interesting topic worth discussing.

So in general, how special do you think Diana should be among the Amazons?

Also, here's an optional follow up; how do you think she should be rated in each individual aspect in comparison to Amazons in general (5 being average)? Feel free to use this for Donna, Hippolyta, Artemis or other Amazons.

Physicality -
    Combat Skills -
    Intelligence -
    Righteousness -
    Attraction -
    Compassion -

*Note: we are talking about her with standard Amazon physiology here, prior to being made Wonder Woman, and how challenging the contest should have been for her for it.
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 06-16-2017 at 06:19 PM.

I don't mind the return of Amazons training where the Amazons are more or less on par physically, so the difference is terms of skill. Intellect, I'd give that to Io and Mala, though with strategy I'd put Diana, Hippolyta and Philipus on par. Compassion and righteousness, I don't know. I guess it would be a difference of scale.

Diana and Mala were equal in strength so I think it should be fair . It should be fair .

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Diana and Mala were equal in strength so I think it should be fair . It should be fair .
    I like how Rucka did it - best among the Amazons, but, once their Champion, gifted by the gods.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Ideally, I think, the Amazons should be a race of Wonder Women. I prefer her to excel on her own merits among them rather than outclassing them from the first because of the gods' favor. 'Amazon' ought to be like 'Kryptonian' or 'Daxamite', the name of a race with inherent superpowers.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Spectacular Member CaptainCanada's Avatar

The main issue with having all the Amazons be equivalent to Wonder Woman in powers is how that affects storytelling when you have an island of thousands of women with Wonder Woman-level powers out there; the Daxamites cause a somewhat similar issue, but they at least aren't on Earth.

At present, with Themyscira isolated off on its own, that's not a problem, but that won't last.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I think Diana should be born of clay brought to life by the gods but have normal Amazon abilities. Then upon winning the contest, is blessed by the gods with Alpha-level abilities so that she can better serve as the Amazons Champion/Ambassador of Peace to Man's World.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCanada View Post
    The main issue with having all the Amazons be equivalent to Wonder Woman in powers is how that affects storytelling when you have an island of thousands of women with Wonder Woman-level powers out there; the Daxamites cause a somewhat similar issue, but they at least aren't on Earth.

At present, with Themyscira isolated off on its own, that's not a problem, but that won't last.
    We're talking about her standard Amazon physiology and how it should measure up with theirs prior to be blessed by the gods/becomes Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Among the very best. There should be at least one or two of her mentors who should be able to best her in hand to hand combat, if not a fight to the death.

Hmmm. Originally years ago, I thought Diana was incomparable, blessed by the gods and goddesses.

But now, I think I am leaning towards among the very best. For interesting characters and stories, it makes sense other Amazons, many of whom I love like Donna, Mala, Artemis, Orana, Nubia and Superwoman, should be Diana's equal.

Also, being among the very best makes the Contest more believable that Diana had to try very hard to win. Originally, Mala came very close to winning. Later on, Orana and Artemis did win. Nubia and Superwoman have fought Wonder Woman to a standstill.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 06-11-2017 at 02:24 PM.

/edited out
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 06-11-2017 at 11:11 PM.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Every time I see "Mala" I think of a Kryptionian...

The Best of the Best.

The rest should be peak human fodder. Which is what most of them already are..

She should have the exact same power set as the rest of the Amazons. Olympian endowment/Zeus-baby was a mistake.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I think Diana should be born of clay brought to life by the gods but have normal Amazon abilities. Then upon winning the contest, is blessed by the gods with Alpha-level abilities so that she can better serve as the Amazons Champion/Ambassador of Peace to Man's World.
    I like this as much as Perez's origin for Diana [Two Thumbs Up].
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.