Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Well, I think the first film should probably be about setting up the classic Green Lantern status quo before they jump into the stuff that Johns introduced. I think it would be better for WB to let audiences get used to the idea of one corps before they jump into introducing the other ones. So, I think that DC should spend the first film having Hal and John going up against one of the lesser known space villains like Kanjar Ro or Krona and save Sinestro and his Corps for later installments.

Oh and please give Hal something approximating his classic look. Don't overcomplicate it. Clean, distinct lines here, people. The classic look is the best look:

I would like them to use Steve Englehart Green Lantern, but that will not happen with Johns having a bigger role behind the scenes now I would expect it to be a very hands on with story and the person writing it.

Astonishing Member

Am I missing something here? Wonder Woman is kicking butt and we are debating about competing about Black Panther?

These are the domestic box office for the Last 5 DC comic movies

Dark Knight Rises-2012- 448,139,099
    MOS-291,045,518
    BvS- 330,360,194
    SS- 325,100,054
    WW- 233,836,730 and........counting

Thats 1,303,121,401 domestic

Now what the freaking freak has to be done? I seriously don't get this weird idea that DC comics movies are somehow not doing something or other. This WW film is blowing by almost every Marvel movie ever released in this country. Cap 1, Cap 2, Thor 1, Thor 2, 2 hulk movies, All three wolverines, Ant man, Doc strange, the last 2 spideys, all the x men. and not only that so have most other DC movies. SS crushed last year. B v S made a crap ton. MOS did as well and we all know the last batman film did as well. There seems to be some totally different standards in looking at DC films. Some expectation. Even when they get critical acclaim they get nitpicked more than any Marvel Film. Its like Marvel is a Ford, and DC is BMW and people expect more or something. Wtf does it have to do to compete with Black Panther? Errrrr Release a Aquaman movie? Huh? What. JL is coming out this nov and we are saying what does DC have to do to compete with Black Panther? Agggggg
    Last edited by inisideguy; 06-16-2017 at 09:19 PM.

BANNED

The question is what is DC's Counter on the Black Superhero Front or POC Front More Broadly.
    The problem with Aquaman is its a race bend and most of the acting talent is still white. Besides Aquaman, Black Manta, and Garth (Ludi Lin)????. Black Manta's Father? Kaldur? Aquaman's Father? The last three are cameos at best. Ludi Lin who can tell.
    But Aquaman is still more viable then Cyborg.

And yes Wonder Woman is great although I should note it didn't really do much outside of representing white women.
    And obviously WW is Iconic and thus no one really expects Captain Marvel to put up a real fight. Sure she has been around for decades but she is only been relevant for what a decade? 5 years?

As for John Stewart.

Yeah we all know how its going to go with Geoff Johns In Charge because we have his whole GL Run as a Permanent Record.
    About the only chance we have of John Stewart being treated right is BP breaking a Billion and/or Critical Acclaim (Actual Oscar Noms in Legit Categories...Acting, Directing, Writing, Picture
    Which results in WB Execs forcing Geoff Johns Hand.

Othwerise John Stewart will be humorless, not get laid, be boring, one note and constantly job out so Harold Jordan can be the Chosen One + Han Solo.
    Last edited by JediKage; 06-16-2017 at 09:12 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    The question is what is DC's Counter on the Black Superhero Front or POC Front More Broadly.
    The problem with Aquaman is its a race bend and most of the acting talent is still white. Besides Aquaman, Black Manta, and Garth (Ludi Lin)????. Black Manta's Father? Kaldur? Aquaman's Father? The last three are cameos at best. Ludi Lin who can tell.
    But Aquaman is still more viable then Cyborg.

And yes Wonder Woman is great although I should note it didn't really do much outside of representing white women.
    And obviously WW is Iconic and thus no one really expects Captain Marvel to put up a real fight. Sure she has been around for decades but she is only been relevant for what a decade? 5 years?

As for John Stewart.

Yeah we all know how its going to go with Geoff Johns In Charge because we have his whole GL Run as a Permanent Record.
    About the only chance we have of John Stewart being treated right is BP breaking a Billion and/or Critical Acclaim (Actual Oscar Noms in Legit Categories...Acting, Directing, Writing, Picture
    Which results in WB Execs forcing Geoff Johns Hand.

Othwerise John Stewart will be humorless, not get laid, be boring, one note and constantly job out so Harold Jordan can be the Chosen One + Han Solo.
    So nothing new?

BANNED

Since that is how he has been since Geoff Johns came to power pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Am I missing something here? Wonder Woman is kicking butt and we are debating about competing about Black Panther?

These are the domestic box office for the Last 5 DC comic movies

Dark Knight Rises-2012- 448,139,099
    MOS-291,045,518
    BvS- 330,360,194
    SS- 325,100,054
    WW- 233,836,730 and........counting

Thats 1,303,121,401 domestic

Now what the freaking freak has to be done? I seriously don't get this weird idea that DC comics movies are somehow not doing something or other. This WW film is blowing by almost every Marvel movie ever released in this country. Cap 1, Cap 2, Thor 1, Thor 2, 2 hulk movies, All three wolverines, Ant man, Doc strange, the last 2 spideys, all the x men. and not only that so have most other DC movies. SS crushed last year. B v S made a crap ton. MOS did as well and we all know the last batman film did as well. There seems to be some totally different standards in looking at DC films. Some expectation. Even when they get critical acclaim they get nitpicked more than any Marvel Film. Its like Marvel is a Ford, and DC is BMW and people expect more or something. Wtf does it have to do to compete with Black Panther? Errrrr Release a Aquaman movie? Huh? What. JL is coming out this nov and we are saying what does DC have to do to compete with Black Panther? Agggggg
    You missed the point of the thread.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    You missed the point of the thread.
    The point being DC has to cast a solo movie with a black superhero? What does Marvel have to do to compete with the Supergirl Tv show or Wonder Woman? This stuff is ridiculous. Like I said this whole oh DC better do this or better do that or whatever is insane. These movies are doing very well not all of them critically but they are doing very well. I get this Fox News underdog feeling from Comic book movie fans. As In that the fans of this genre portray DC as the mainstream media and Marvel as Fox acting like the underdog, and that they are just wonderful. Like Marvel comics and characters have not been around for generations. That people are just getting to see them and that well DC has this massive advantage cause they have 2 or 3 characters that were around 80 years ago. Like there is some huge difference between and 80 year old character and a 50 year old one. Its like people asking omg what does Frank Sinatra have to do to compete with the Beatles? What does Doctor Strange have to do to compete with Deadpool? I don't freaking know maybe blow up the universe or something and crack jokes? Arggggggggg. Here is what DC can do to compete with a Black Panther movie. Keep making movies.

The point being DC has to cast a solo movie with a black superhero? What does Marvel have to do to compete with the Supergirl Tv show or Wonder Woman? This stuff is ridiculous. Like I said this whole oh DC better do this or better do that or whatever is insane. These movies are doing very well not all of them critically but they are doing very well. I get this Fox News underdog feeling from Comic book movie fans. As In that the fans of this genre portray DC as the mainstream media and Marvel as Fox acting like the underdog, and that they are just wonderful. Like Marvel comics and characters have not been around for generations. That people are just getting to see them and that well DC has this massive advantage cause they have 2 or 3 characters that were around 80 years ago. Like there is some huge difference between and 80 year old character and a 50 year old one. Its like people asking omg what does Frank Sinatra have to do to compete with the Beatles? What does Doctor Strange have to do to compete with Deadpool? I don't freaking know maybe blow up the universe or something and crack jokes? Arggggggggg. Here is what DC can do to compete with a Black Panther movie. Keep making movies.
    Still missing the point. This is a thread about POC superheroes and how people want more of them getting movies. Not just race bent one either. This has nothing to do with DC v Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think, being fans of the GL franchise, we all at this point understand the turnabout revolving around the Earth Lanterns and the preferences/biases of the fans, whether we like it or not.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    I say otherwise with Van Jensen. At least John wasn't written as the black best friend. Hell, John punched Hal Jordan for being a dick. It's nice to see a character standing up for himself and not have his life revolve over another character (like what Tom King tried to do the Darkseid War one-shot).

What's going on in the GLC book, John, Hal, Guy and Kyle all seems to come off as one-note characters, which they're currently boring characters imo. Which is totally lame. Another reason why I don't care for that book.

Astonishing Member

Still missing the point. This is a thread about POC superheroes and how people want more of them getting movies. Not just race bent one either. This has nothing to do with DC v Marvel.
    POC héros? Like Deadshot in SS? Or Amanda Waller in SS? Or Diggle on the Arrow? Or Guardian on super girl? Or like Blade that was done 20 years ago? DC puts a movie out with a lady in the lead which is blowing up, and now DC needs to compete with Marvel cause they have a hero who is leading a movie who is a POC. My god its like Star Wars fans saying ok what do we have to do to compete with Star Trek cause they have people of color all over the place.

POC héros? Like Deadshot in SS? Or Amanda Waller in SS? Or Diggle on the Arrow? Or Guardian on super girl? Or like Blade that was done 20 years ago? DC puts a movie out with a lady in the lead which is blowing up, and now DC needs to compete with Marvel cause they have a hero who is leading a movie who is a POC. My god its like Star Wars fans saying ok what do we have to do to compete with Star Trek cause they have people of color all over the place.
    This isn't DC v Marvel.... People just want more solos for POC heroes.

Astonishing Member

This isn't DC v Marvel.... People just want more solos for POC heroes.
    Huh I must have missed the what will DCs answer to what might be an awesome Black panther movie title thread. What might Marvels answer be to a guy who swims underwater be? And I am looking at this Aquaman actor and is he not a person of color? Or am I color blind?

Huh I must have missed the what will DCs answer to what might be an awesome Black panther movie title thread. What might Marvels answer be to a guy who swims underwater be? And I am looking at this Aquaman actor and is he not a person of color? Or am I color blind?
    A few others have already mentioned Aquaman in this thread.

Deadshot seems to suffer the same problem with Aquaman. Race swapping characters is alright (as long as the character's race doesn't define the core of that character) in some cases, but they're still white guys in the comics. So that's a bit of a problem, unless they magically turn into minorities in the comics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    A few others have already mentioned Aquaman in this thread.

Deadshot seems to suffer the same problem with Aquaman. Race swapping characters is alright (as long as the character's race doesn't define the core of that character) in some cases, but they're still white guys in the comics. So that's a bit of a problem, unless they magically turn into minorities in the comics.
    Do you honestly think people who go to these cbms care that a character may have been race swapped from the comics? Marvel basically replace White Nick Fury with Black Nick Fury from another universe. White nick fury was mainstream nick fury for like 40 years. And bam he never existed in Marvel movie verse. No one gives a poop the original Nick Fury was a white guy. Hell I don't know if white nick Fury even exists anymore in marvel. I mean Black Lighting is coming out on TV next year. Like regular TV. Thats pretty progressive. The guy is gonna be a black superhero on TV every week. Not Netflix but regular broadcast TV.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 06-16-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Black Panther will be fairly unknown (I believe) to the general public, so there's no reason a character like Skyrocket couldn't shine on the big screen.
    just replace Cyborg in the JL with Skyrocket for her initial introduction and we're set. [dreaming out loud]

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.