Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Black Animated superhero film.
    Chika: The Rite of Perdition

This has superheroes in it and the cop has super-weapons.
    Those Who Walk in Darkness

Product Description
    How does this relate to the thread, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Fox, BB an IW are no different than NYT, CNN, or MSNBC. If people are smart they would avoid all of them.

Yep, I responded to that already. Like skyvolt2000 mentioned with his relative, you can be biracial and not look like it at all. Again, look at someone like Cameron Diaz, can you possibly tell this woman is half-Cuban? Same thing with Lynda Carter.

Cuban is a nationality not a race. There are white Cubans, white Mexicans, white Argentinians, white Dominicans etc. Cameron Diaz's father was probably a white Cuban. Maria Carey in the other hand had a black Venezuelan father but her mother was of Irish descent.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Extraordinary Member

There are asian animated superhero films as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I was replying about the animated poc animated superhero films in the other post.
    I was replying to say miles is not first.
    Of course miles will have the most well known poc animated solo superhero soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Cuban is a nationality not a race. There are white Cubans, white Mexicans, white Argentinians, white Dominicans etc. Cameron Diaz's father was probably a white Cuban. Maria Carey in the other hand had a black Venezuelan father but her mother was of Irish descent.
    Did I ever say Cuban was a race? I'm aware there's white Cubans, I applied the same logic to Cameron Diaz that I did to Lynda Carter, after it was pointed out she was half-Mexican. They are both white women of Hispanic heritage, but they don't necessarily look Hispanic because their parents probably didn't as well. Gal Gadot on the other hand is Israeli. She's not of mixed heritage like the aforementioned ladies. Her complexion visibly looks different, despite that she is technically still "white". That's why she looks more "diverse" than them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Even if we count those.

Those who Walk in Darkness was a book that got bad reviews and is a stop motion film. It was done in 2003. And it's funny John Ridley is the creator with the HATE he's getting from the black community from the same folks who have gone off on Black Panther trailer.

STATIC was on the air and still in product.

The other with the fake Vixen. Came out in 2006.

That will be a 12 year gap by the time Miles comes out.

So the gap would be 12 years instead 14. Does that many my point MOOT? NO it doesn't.

Spectacular Member

DC, in my opinion, doesn't have a significant response in their roster to counter against Black Panther. From an industry standpoint DC will respond based off potential success (Luke Cage/Black Lightning). From a social standpoint they will have to respond based off demand (female solo, minority solo, black solo) in order show that they're capable of pushing a non white male hero in a solo film.

Unfortunately Cyborg is the one that has been chosen. I like Cyborg, but DC really dropped the ball on the character by not giving him any development when the New 52 started. He didn't even get a solo series to 5 years later. He got an upgrade but it was later retconned and the only good member of his rogues is Grid. I recognize what John Semper is trying to do with Cyborg in the current comics but I don't think he's the right person to expand Cyborgs mythos. We don't even know how people will react to Cyborg in JL.
    There will be criticisms of the character from a racial standpoint especially with BP on the way. Such as him not being fully human or being able to interact with other people due to his appearance. Despite the rumors his movie is canceled, Ray Fisher said its still on the way for 2020.

Martian Manhunter, I know is an alien, but his human appearance has been a black male for the past decade. Not only did DC drop the ball on him but the fans as well. People claim they want MM back as a founder of the JL and in the movies, but these same people didn't support his recent comic. His powerset is also quite similar to Superman, but he can shapeshift, turn invisible, and be intangible. I think they took the character away from the league because he really makes Superman redundant in terms of power. Having two powerhouses like that makes story telling hard.

John Stewart is slated for the GLC movie with him teaming with Hal Jordan. But everyone John Stewart fan knows that the people in charge of the movie, Geoff Johns (Hal Jordan fanboy) & David S Goyer, have a history at marginalizing black characters. The adding of the character to the movie was probably a WB decision. But just because they wanted him to appear in the movie doesn't mean they care how he appears in it either. I still think Johns is going to make it about Hal Jordan.

They only thing DC truly has is Milestone. They may have cut down a little of their social commentary but Static movie could be on par with Spider Man. But given the current rights issues I don't think we'll see movies with them anytime soon. That leaves Vixen, Steel, Mister Terriffic and not many more. DC hasn't developed their black heroes to stand on their own.

BANNED

Static Shock movie is the answer. Jaden Smith as Static and Justin Bieber as Richard Foley.

DC doesn't have anything that can match the importance of Black Panther the same way Marvel doesn't have anything that would compare to Wonder Woman. Sure Captain Marvel will be a hit but it's no where near the cultural significance of Wonder Woman. Same goes for anything DC does after Black Panther. So the answer to the thread is no they don't have anything that will match or compare to T'Challa.
    Sure John Stewart is a very well known black superhero but Black Panther is a cultural icon. Plus DC has really watered down John Stewart over the years. I used to really love the character, but once they made his identity totally focused on the fact that he was a marine it made him boring in my opinion. There's nothing wrong with being proud of serving your country but that's pretty much defined the character since the Justice League cartoon. He used to be a social justice crusader, an architect, and a guy with a witty sense of humor. Now he's just the stoic good soldier. I was really disappointed with his dialogue in Injustice. "Did you serve your country?" "Semper Fi." "Today I'm your drill instructor." Etc.
    Last edited by Robotman; 06-18-2017 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    It would be the reverse of the situation here and for the very same reasons, SY.
    Agreed haha

Perhaps, perhaps not. I've been adamant about both characters getting their due since the reboot was first announced. I never once insisted that Hal should be given preferential treatment over Stewart in the movies. While there's been plenty of people who drag Jordan through the mud every chance they get, as you can see in this very thread.
    I wasn't directing this towards anyone specific in this thread or forum, Johnny. I was rather making a general statement. And besides, I already know you shared positive views towards both characters on how they should be handled in DCEU, which I share the same sentiments

Put Gal Gadot next to Lynda Carter and you can see why Gal can be considered a rather "diverse" choice for Wonder Woman. Even though she is "white", she certainly doesn't look like a typical Caucasian actress.
    So I guess that's the new p.r logic by WB when they decide to hire actors/actresses, who may "look" diverse (to some people), but they're technically aren't. And they fill in for characters that's depicted as Caucasian in the comics and then compare them to Black Panther or some kind of diverse comparison as the answer for good competition for minority characters. Maybe I'm looking at all of this wrong here, but that's the kind of impression that I get from this thread. And I just really disagree with it if that's true. I personally don't think or consider that Black Panther should be an answer towards Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman in terms of minority representation, since I don't see them comparable. One being white and the other being black. If anything, it would be Aquaman, Cyborg, John Stewart, Vixen etc. providing for those kind of competitions.

I don't think no one can play that role better than Gal Gadot. I would even go on to say so far, she seems more dedicated to that role than any other actor that we've seen in the DCEU films thus far. I enjoyed her in the movie as much when I read Wonder Woman's solos by various writers. But I personally don't think Black Panther should be compared with her. If anything, she represents gender diversity and seems to bring in a tough competition when Marvel puts out female solo films in the near future. But maybe I'm looking at it wrong here or just confused.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think a lot of that though is cause of the Superfriends cartoon. I mean the idea of "Cheetah" is part of WW's mytho, but there's been multiple Cheetahs.
    Cheetah (Priscilla Rich) was clearly #1 among Diana's enemies pre-COIE in the comics.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

As has already been mentioned, DC has a decent line up:

John Stewart
    J'onn J'onzz (Martian Manhunter) - I've always known him and prefer him to be a black guy while in human form
    Black Lightning
    Static Shock
    Thunder
    Bronze Tiger
    Vixen
    Cyborg

Most of those could be part of an ensemble, a few *might* be able to run a solo film.

Let's not also forget that DC could push Jaime Reyes (Blue Beetle), Khalid Nassour (Doctor Fate), Simon Baz & Jessica Cruz (GLC), and some others I'm missing right now. They have a very respectable roster to choose from. We as fans just need to keep supporting these characters.

The one thing I've been a little vocal about is having John Stewart as the main, or at least second to Hal, in the upcoming Justice League films and Green Lantern Corps movies. John Stewart to me IS DC's premier black superhero. I've always loved me some JS, hence why I felt compelled to use him as my avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    The one thing I've been a little vocal about is having John Stewart as the main, or at least second to Hal, in the upcoming Justice League films and Green Lantern Corps movies. John Stewart to me IS DC's premier black superhero. I've always loved me some JS, hence why I felt compelled to use him as my avatar.
    I believe if a GL does show up in JL, it could be like it was in Young Justice. Hal and John were sector partners and while Hal was one of the original Justice League founders, he gave John his place on the team when he was away. And whenever he was there, both of them were JL members.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    So I guess that's the new p.r logic by WB when they decide to hire actors/actresses, who may "look" diverse (to some people), but they're technically aren't. And they fill in for characters that's depicted as Caucasian in the comics and then compare them to Black Panther or some kind of diverse comparison as the answer for good competition for minority characters. Maybe I'm looking at all of this wrong here, but that's the kind of impression that I get from this thread. And I just really disagree with it if that's true. I personally don't think or consider that Black Panther should be an answer towards Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman in terms of minority representation, since I don't see them comparable. One being white and the other being black. If anything, it would be Aquaman, Cyborg, John Stewart, Vixen etc. providing for those kind of competitions.

I don't think no one can play that role better than Gal Gadot. I would even go on to say so far, she seems more dedicated to that role than any other actor that we've seen in the DCEU films thus far. I enjoyed her in the movie as much when I read Wonder Woman's solos by various writers. But I personally don't think Black Panther should be compared with her. If anything, she represents gender diversity and seems to bring in a tough competition when Marvel puts out female solo films in the near future. But maybe I'm looking at it wrong here or just confused.
    No, I agree, it's definitely not the same type of comparison. It would've been if it was a Vixen movie or any black male or female character. I think a Jessica Cruz or Simon Baz-Green Lantern movie still wouldn't be comparable to Black Panther, cause they are not black characters. We could consider them an "answer" to BP, since they are diverse characters but it's not a solo movie with a black lead. That would be Cyborg or if they are smart, Vixen, the same way DC's "answer" to Luke Cage will be Black Lightning. I wonder how they would "answer" to Cloak & Dagger next. Better yet, how come they are still not doing anything with Midnighter & Apollo. Imo that's really going to give Marvel a run for their money.

And yes, I know what you mean about the first part. It does feel like they are really looking for surface level diversity by giving WW a darker complexion or making Aquaman Hawaiian, as well as casting a sort of ethnically ambiguous looking actor like Ezra Miller as Barry Allen. And don't forget, Hal Jordan is a Jewish guy from California, so they'd have every excuse to give him some tan, too. lol
    Last edited by Johnny; 06-18-2017 at 06:00 AM.

Ultimate Member

The former John Stewart fan Desh bought up a good point if Deadshot (Will Smith version) is used.

It's a sad thing if he is used as he was racebent and shows how badly established black characters were done at DC. Especially if you try to look into the source material and the backlash you would get. Yes you would have fans go nuts over it like they have with guys like Moon Girl. Suddenly Moon Boy has fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BuDe40R9IU

He does explain why using Cyborg will not work. Not with better choices out there period.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr HardKnocks View Post
    DC, in my opinion, doesn't have a significant response in their roster to counter against Black Panther. From an industry standpoint DC will respond based off potential success (Luke Cage/Black Lightning). From a social standpoint they will have to respond based off demand (female solo, minority solo, black solo) in order show that they're capable of pushing a non white male hero in a solo film.

Unfortunately Cyborg is the one that has been chosen. I like Cyborg, but DC really dropped the ball on the character by not giving him any development when the New 52 started. He didn't even get a solo series to 5 years later. He got an upgrade but it was later retconned and the only good member of his rogues is Grid. I recognize what John Semper is trying to do with Cyborg in the current comics but I don't think he's the right person to expand Cyborgs mythos. We don't even know how people will react to Cyborg in JL.
    There will be criticisms of the character from a racial standpoint especially with BP on the way. Such as him not being fully human or being able to interact with other people due to his appearance. Despite the rumors his movie is canceled, Ray Fisher said its still on the way for 2020.

Martian Manhunter, I know is an alien, but his human appearance has been a black male for the past decade. Not only did DC drop the ball on him but the fans as well. People claim they want MM back as a founder of the JL and in the movies, but these same people didn't support his recent comic. His powerset is also quite similar to Superman, but he can shapeshift, turn invisible, and be intangible. I think they took the character away from the league because he really makes Superman redundant in terms of power. Having two powerhouses like that makes story telling hard.

John Stewart is slated for the GLC movie with him teaming with Hal Jordan. But everyone John Stewart fan knows that the people in charge of the movie, Geoff Johns (Hal Jordan fanboy) & David S Goyer, have a history at marginalizing black characters. The adding of the character to the movie was probably a WB decision. But just because they wanted him to appear in the movie doesn't mean they care how he appears in it either. I still think Johns is going to make it about Hal Jordan.

They only thing DC truly has is Milestone. They may have cut down a little of their social commentary but Static movie could be on par with Spider Man. But given the current rights issues I don't think we'll see movies with them anytime soon. That leaves Vixen, Steel, Mister Terriffic and not many more. DC hasn't developed their black heroes to stand on their own.
    Pretty much my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Static Shock movie is the answer. Jaden Smith as Static and Justin Bieber as Richard Foley.
    Those are... some interesting actor picks...

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The former John Stewart fan Desh bought up a good point if Deadshot (Will Smith version) is used.

It's a sad thing if he is used as he was racebent and shows how badly established black characters were done at DC. Especially if you try to look into the source material and the backlash you would get. Yes you would have fans go nuts over it like they have with guys like Moon Girl. Suddenly Moon Boy has fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BuDe40R9IU

He does explain why using Cyborg will not work. Not with better choices out there period.
    Characters that are actually white in the comics just don't work. Also, even if Deadshot wasn't white, he isn't a solo character. He's not interesting out of an assembly.