Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

sure but which one is the lip service? the book just to have a book, or the strong character moments found elsewhere? bc i would hardly classify power girl as a "bit part" in deathstroke, nor would i say the same about vixen, john stewart, steel, or duke thomas.

There's nothing they can do.

Yeah they can do a Mr.Terrific or Black Manta ongoing, or do something with Amanda Waller....but none of them can be as big as Black Panther or Storm.

And let's face it, before BP got his ongoing Marvel really had just Storm.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Tbh I don't think DC even has a Black character that matches Black Panther's pedigree in the comics. That's why I hope they still push this Cyborg movie through. Carol Danvers is in a similar place as Cyborg in Marvel but Feige is still making that movie. Hopefully a Cyborg movie can really raise the profile of the character
    I'm not sure that Cyborg is anywhere near Black Panther's level, and I don't think Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers can possibly compete with Wonder Woman. She's not even Marvel's *fifth*-best female lead (although some of them, like Sue, Jean and Ororo, are unavailable to Marvel Studios).

I don't really remember the exact dates of various announcements, but it *feels* to me like Marvel and DC are both being reactive. Wonder Woman gets announced, Marvel gets flak for not having any plans for a female-led superhero movie, and bam, now we've got a Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers movie on the schedule. Black Panther gets announced, and DC feels the pressure to have a black-led superhero movie, and suddenly Cyborg is the new plan. Neither of those feel like good ideas to me, just off-the-cuff reactions to what the other studio is doing.

And, instead of coming up with anything new or groundbreaking, both studios seems to be devoting a movie slot to 'keeping up with the Jones,' locking themselves into a pattern of announcing movies in reaction to what the other studio is announcing (regardless of whether or not they had a great script ready for that character, or whether or not they were already in the pipeline), pushing out any plans they may have had for other releases.

What's next, a mad rush to see who gets out a movie headlined by a black woman, with Vixen and Monica Rambeau coming out in 2021? By an Asian? By a Hispanic hero? By a gay hero?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing any of those (hell yes to both Vixen and Monica Rambeau!), if they have great stories to tell with those characters (and much more than a seventy-third appearance by Iron Man or Batman), but just rushing to be the first company to get X demographic on-screen, or to put one out just because the other guy did, seems sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    sure but which one is the lip service? the book just to have a book, or the strong character moments found elsewhere? bc i would hardly classify power girl as a "bit part" in deathstroke, nor would i say the same about vixen, john stewart, steel, or duke thomas.
    At the same time, though, almost everyone you pointed out are a side character to a white person's book. Only person in that list that isn't is Vixen. But that's Batman's team.

Edit: To answer the post. DC doesn't have anyone in the main continuity that can match Black Panther. Cyborg... exists but is he supposed to be some inspiration for black people? I don't really think so. Black Lightning keeps getting confused with Static.
    Last edited by vasir12; 06-12-2017 at 10:14 AM.

i guess the question is what's more important. having strong characters that might develop into a strong solo title or a fresh book that's likely to get cancelled? call me crazy but i don't see iron heart or moon girl sticking around for that long. but again i think it's great if they do.

but we are sort of veering off topic. the analogue to black panther in dc comics is red lion (in deathstroke) and i highly doubt he's getting a movie anytime soon. but cyborg will be the "black" movie, give or take the scale

I gotta either edit quicker or think my post through more before I post, lol. I was in the middle of clarifying my post when you posted this.

I mean, strong characters moments can be found in their own books, so I'd rather they have their own books if the option is there.

John and Vixen have enough content and foundation to support their own book and have for years and they are one of the main sources of my impatience. John has pretty much stagnated in team books for years now. He's the leader of the GLC, but nothing interesting is being done with that. Vixen's one-shot could have made a regular #1 issues for an ongoing. She's had some good moments in JLA, but with the way the book is being treated, who knows how long it'll even last.

Duke had recently been given the Shazam treatment where he was given focus in his own little side story, which was good because his role was downplayed in the main All Star Batman book and he barely shows up in the other Batman book. As I mentioned before, him playing a larger role in Metal is a good step for him. Depending on how he's handled, he'll challenge Cyborg in story relevance in an event.

Tanya still has some building to go through, but I'm liking that Priest appears to be prepping her to get a change in name that'll give her another name and, thus, an increased chance to do her own thing.

Steel is...around...and Super-Woman's husband. That's all I know.

i guess the question is what's more important. having strong characters that might develop into a strong solo title or a fresh book that's likely to get cancelled? call me crazy but i don't see iron heart or moon girl sticking around for that long. but again i think it's great if they do.
    Kamala Khan was a fresh book that's still doing fine. Moon Girl has been kicking for two years now and doesn't seem like she's ending anytime soon. Iron Heart is Bendis Approved™, so I doubt she is going anywhere even when Tony takes his main title back. Of the books I listed, the only one that is probably going to be cancelled is The Prowler.

Actually, scratch that, Prowler was just a mini-series to begin with. But hell, that's more than what some folks usually get.
    Last edited by HereNThere; 06-12-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HereNThere View Post
    General public or not, support is support and I, personally, think Marvel is doing a bit better than DC currently, not that Marvel can't improve on some stuff as well. It's just that team book appearances and cameos can only appease me for so long until I want them to get their own thing. I don't want another case of Cyborg 2011. Going 5 years with barely any development while stuck in a team book.

Basically, I want to see some major strides.
    I definitely agree with that.

Retired

I guess DC actually got there first with CATWOMAN. Or are we not supposed to talk about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I'm not sure that Cyborg is anywhere near Black Panther's level, and I don't think Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers can possibly compete with Wonder Woman. She's not even Marvel's *fifth*-best female lead (although some of them, like Sue, Jean and Ororo, are unavailable to Marvel Studios).

I don't really remember the exact dates of various announcements, but it *feels* to me like Marvel and DC are both being reactive. Wonder Woman gets announced, Marvel gets flak for not having any plans for a female-led superhero movie, and bam, now we've got a Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers movie on the schedule. Black Panther gets announced, and DC feels the pressure to have a black-led superhero movie, and suddenly Cyborg is the new plan. Neither of those feel like good ideas to me, just off-the-cuff reactions to what the other studio is doing.

And, instead of coming up with anything new or groundbreaking, both studios seems to be devoting a movie slot to 'keeping up with the Jones,' locking themselves into a pattern of announcing movies in reaction to what the other studio is announcing (regardless of whether or not they had a great script ready for that character, or whether or not they were already in the pipeline), pushing out any plans they may have had for other releases.

What's next, a mad rush to see who gets out a movie headlined by a black woman, with Vixen and Monica Rambeau coming out in 2021? By an Asian? By a Hispanic hero? By a gay hero?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing any of those (hell yes to both Vixen and Monica Rambeau!), if they have great stories to tell with those characters (and much more than a seventy-third appearance by Iron Man or Batman), but just rushing to be the first company to get X demographic on-screen, or to put one out just because the other guy did, seems sketchy.
    That's exactly my point. Carol isn't anywhere near close to Wonder Woman but Marvel is still pushing her and giving her a movie to raise her profile. Similarly, I hope WB/DC push Cyborg even though he's nowhere near as successful of a comic book character as T'Challa

And I got no problem with the arms war between companies with regards to have diversity onscreen. If competition is what it takes for it to start happening, I'm ok with that. It seems like that's the only way Hollywood will truly learn

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I guess DC actually got there first with CATWOMAN. Or are we not supposed to talk about that?
    Yeah.. Catwoman is one of those flicks that better left forgotten lol
    Last edited by The Kid; 06-12-2017 at 10:41 AM.

I don't think Cyborg is bland, I just think he's a better ensemble character rather than a solo character.

As far as a one-to-one correlation between a DC character and Black Panther, I think that'll be tough. But I'm going to put a name out there: Hawkman. If you take the Carter Hall version...ancient Egyptian king, reincarnation, clash of cultures, and add in nth metal from Thanagar, it could line up in a few different ways. And if they wanted to keep him of a non-Caucasian orientation, the history could certainly lend itself to that.

Quote Originally Posted by HereNThere View Post
    I gotta either edit quicker or think my post through more before I post, lol. I was in the middle of clarifying my post when you posted this.

I mean, strong characters moments can be found in their own books, so I'd rather they have their own books if the option is there.

John and Vixen have enough content and foundation to support their own book and have for years and they are one of the main sources of my impatience. John has pretty much stagnated in team books for years now. He's the leader of the GLC, but nothing interesting is being done with that. Vixen's one-shot could have made a regular #1 issues for an ongoing. She's had some good moments in JLA, but with the way the book is being treated, who knows how long it'll even last.

Duke had recently been given the Shazam treatment where he was given focus in his own little side story, which was good because his role was downplayed in the main All Star Batman book and he barely shows up in the other Batman book. As I mentioned before, him playing a larger role in Metal is a good step for him. Depending on how he's handled, he'll challenge Cyborg in story relevance in an event.

Tanya still has some building to go through, but I'm liking that Priest appears to be prepping her to get a change in name that'll give her another name and, thus, an increased chance to do her own thing.

Steel is...around...and Super-Woman's husband. That's all I know.

Kamala Khan was a fresh book that's still doing fine. Moon Girl has been kicking for two years now and doesn't seem like she's ending anytime soon. Iron Heart is Bendis Approved™, so I doubt she is going anywhere even when Tony takes his main title back. Of the books I listed, the only one that is probably going to be cancelled is The Prowler.
    all of this is fair and i agree with a lot of what you say.

you can add me to the list of those thinking its way past time vixen gets her own book. i loved her one-shot and she definitely has the foundation to support her.

i'm thinking of the dc books i have enjoyed lately, and cyborg is definitely one of them. so is deathstroke and green lanterns (jessica and baz). i love the work that's being done with tanya and i think she's got so much potential. the new gl's might not be black, but they are 'minorities' and are doing a really awesome job.

as for john stewart -- i like him - but his personality makes it very difficult due to being such a straight arrow. but then again, marvel makes bp work and he has a similar personality.

Ultimate Member

I don't know that DC has anyone who can flat-out match BP. But there are some black characters who can perhaps make for a good/interesting movie. Steel comes to mind right away in that regard for me.

And perhaps Vixen as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

This is a good comment. I agree they should announce movies about certain type of minority characters if they know what they are doing and not just to jab back at the competition, but in the end this is business and making money is all that matters. Hollywood only cares about current trends and what sells at the moment, in the end they would just do that as quickly as they can before it has lost its luster. We can only hope they actually know what they are doing with the material they want to adapt, but when all is said and done it's all about the...

The obvious answer right now would be Cyborg. If he is a standout in Justice League, then his solo movie should have a great chance of being successful.

Honestly, I don't think Dc needs to have an answer, the most effective thing that Marvel did with Black Panther was take time to introduce him correctly. They built up the character with small mentions of vibranium and having Klaw show up in age of ultron, then the awesome supporting role he had in Civil War. Marvel slowly built anticipation for Black Panther rather than just rush the character's movie to appease people. If dc just forces out a movie with an African-American lead just to try and keep up with marvel,chances are it won't be as successful Much like how Suicide Squad (Which I did enjoy but it had some major problems) kind of seemed like a rushed attempt by DC to answer Guardians of the Galaxy
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

bronze tiger is a character who could easily develop into a movie property (and a solo book) if dc would give him the opportunity. i would very much see it along the lines of blade/luke cage in scope.