View Poll Results: Should Peter and MJ Be Together Again?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

70 80.46%
  • No

17 19.54%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by plasticman101 View Post
    waaah the marriage isn't in continuity!!!! I hate marvel!!!...ugh....you have RYV's that's all you are going to get....do you like beating a dead horse? apparently !!!

oh and just to be petty ....I still win and you still lose and cry about it.
    Hi, Mr. Quesada.

I was more upset with how OMD went down than the dissolution of the marriage, but seeing as how I haven't liked Peter since then, it looks like the marriage was more important to the character than I thought.

If they don't restore the marriage, I won't start buying the titles again. I want Peter and Mary Jane to remember what they had and what they lost. BTW, did they ever reveal what MJ whispered in Mephisto's ear (or Mephisto in MJ's ear?) that made her consent to the breakup?
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Why is it that relevant for the characters to have value?
    Because they have no value as love interests, and they highlight a feedback loop of sorts that the book is now stuck in, regarding pairing Peter up with love interests.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    If they don't restore the marriage, I won't start buying the titles again. I want Peter and Mary Jane to remember what they had and what they lost. BTW, did they ever reveal what MJ whispered in Mephisto's ear (or Mephisto in MJ's ear?) that made her consent to the breakup?
    Can I ask you whether or not you are buying RYW?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    What MJ whispered to Mephisto was revealed in the beginning of One Moment In Time. She basically said ''do this and then leave him alone''

As events in Spider-Man/Deadpool have since proven, he didn't, so the whisper amounted to nothing.

It's been suggested that what was originally outlined was that she offered to remember everything about their marriage and deliberately keep Peter at a distance in exchange for the preservation of May's life, but they went another route.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    What MJ whispered to Mephisto was revealed in the beginning of One Moment In Time. She basically said ''do this and then leave him alone''

As events in Spider-Man/Deadpool have since proven, he didn't, so the whisper amounted to nothing.

It's been suggested that what was originally outlined was that she offered to remember everything about their marriage and deliberately keep Peter at a distance in exchange for the preservation of May's life, but they went another route.
    I thought she also told him that Peter wouldn't do the deal unless MJ told him to.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I thought she also told him that Peter wouldn't do the deal unless MJ told him to.
    That's right, but anyone with a brain knows Peter would have never made the deal even IF MJ told him to. Hell, in OMD, after telling Peter to go through with it, MJ also had to assure Peter she and him would find a way to be together again afterwards too no matter what Mephisto did to them. Ten years on, and Mephisto's STILL having his way with that part of their souls.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Personally, I don't care whether or not Peter and MJ remember their past romance. As long as they get back together, it doesn't even have to be marriage, I am fine with that. Just when it happens, don't do stupid things like having one of them cheat or something.

Spectacular Member

Reading though old comics, it seems when the Spider-Marriage was written well, it was great, and when it was written poorly, holy hell did it stink. And unfortunately the poor writing seemed to largely out number the good writing. For that reason I vote no on marriage, but yes on them being together, since then any writer who does not want to write them as a couple can just ignore them or break them up without too much trouble.

That's right, but anyone with a brain knows Peter would have never made the deal even IF MJ told him to. Hell, in OMD, after telling Peter to go through with it, MJ also had to assure Peter she and him would find a way to be together again afterwards too no matter what Mephisto did to them. Ten years on, and Mephisto's STILL having his way with that part of their souls.
    Well yeah, that's why it's the worst Marvel story ever. Peter would NEVER agree to that deal. EVER.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Personally, I don't care whether or not Peter and MJ remember their past romance. As long as they get back together, it doesn't even have to be marriage, I am fine with that. Just when it happens, don't do stupid things like having one of them cheat or something.
    Same here. I'm not asking for them to married again (although it would be nice). I just want them to be a couple again, because they belong together. Like Reed and Sue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWoman View Post
    Reading though old comics, it seems when the Spider-Marriage was written well, it was great, and when it was written poorly, holy hell did it stink.
    I disagree. I think there's more good than bad, and the bad can easily be dismissed as it going through a rough patch. Part of the reason the marriage is beloved is because it's NOT an ''idealized'' notion of romance, that the characters had flaws, but the joy was in them working through those nasty periods and surviving to fight another day.

And even when there were bad patches in the marriage like during the Mackie/Byrne era, [and unless you weren't reading a pretty strong version of the marriage in the daily comic strip] you had Spider-Girl at the time, which focused more on their daughter and her own life, and thus could spare to make the marriage a lot more stable in that.

I think it's a bit late for that.

If they remember their marriage, then technically every other relationship they've had since then=adultery.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 06-12-2017 at 11:44 AM.

BANNED

I disagree. I think there's more good than bad, and the bad can easily be dismissed as it going through a rough patch. Part of the reason the marriage is beloved is because it's NOT an ''idealized'' notion of romance, that the characters had flaws, but the joy was in them working through those nasty periods and surviving to fight another day.

And even when there were bad patches in the marriage like during the Mackie/Byrne era, [and unless you weren't reading a pretty strong version of the marriage in the daily comic strip] you had Spider-Girl at the time, which focused more on their daughter and her own life, and thus could spare to make the marriage a lot more stable in that.
    I think a lot of the bad patches in marriage years correlate to the writing talent they had at the time, which wasn't great.

But Millar, PAD, JMS, JMD and Sacassa amply showed that writers could do great things with the marriage years after that.

Incredible Member

I wouldn't consider Silk a actual ex of Peter. All they did was makeout a few times because of her growing hormones.
    I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    That's why I said not a "one arc and done". They were only "together" for like 5 issues and then Spider-Verse started, that doesn't really count. And say what you will about Black Panther/Storm, Kitty/Star-Lord, at least those lasted a few years. I'd be fine with a couple arcs worth where they are together, and then the eventual breakup. I only mentioned Bobbi because they've had them reacting alot more than usual recently. Though I believe them mentioning he's getting a new love interest in Spectacular, so that doesn't matter anyway, just an idea I wouldn't mind if they tried out.
    Okay then. Nothing wrong with that.