⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan #1's Avatar

Default Blue Beetle's Potential

I've become a fan of Jaime Reyes as Blue Beetle over the course of a few years. The character really shined for me, back during the Young Justice Season 2 days where it showed that possible, apocalyptic future in which he took over and destroyed the world under his rule by having the scarab rebooted by Green Beetle. That really showcased, even though he was manipulated into being evil, how powerful he really is.

Anyway, with the power of the scarab and what it can do (basically, form anything to help Jaime out on the battlefield), along with the character more or less representing the Latino/Hispanic community, why isn't he more of a big deal? Do you think it's because of his age, the suit/scarab being similar to what Cyborg can do, or do you think it's the current series not being as good as it could be?

I've been reading his current title since Rebirth started and I think it's okay, but does anyone here not like it? If so, would you say it's primarily because of the book that he's not as popular, or is it more or less any of the above I mentioned?

I like the character very much to the point that I even have him as one of my level twenty mains in Injustice 2.

BANNED

I dropped Blue Beetle a few months ago, and for a few reasons. Jaime was on point, his friends were on point, but that wasn't enough. The main reasons I dropped it were:

1) Overly long 1st arc. Seriously, I have no idea how a 10 issue introductory arc got approved. Worse, it just hasn't been that interesting.
    2) Too much Dr. Fate. (Or at least it felt like it)
    3) Under utilizing and occasionally odd characterization for Ted Kord. I like Jaime, I like his supporting cast, and I like his Pre-Flashpoint book all a great deal. But Ted will always be my favorite Blue Beetle, and after being gone for so long, the role they gave him here wasn't enough.

I do hope the book survives, but I also hope it improves.

I do agree with you that Jaime has tremendous potential that DC has yet to realize, at least comic wise. I mean it really says something when a characters outside media appearances are much superior to the source material!

I'd say his Young Justice, DC Animated Movie and Injustice versions are much better than his comic self for different reasons. I think the comics should either put him with the Teen Titans and build him up there or age him up and put him with the Justice League. I would honestly be very interetsed in a Blue Beetle solo series that depicts him as an adult!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I do agree with you that Jaime has tremendous potential that DC has yet to realize, at least comic wise. I mean it really says something when a characters outside media appearances are much superior to the source material!
    I personally prefer Jaime's Pre-Flashpoint book to any media adaptations.

I would honestly be very interetsed in a Blue Beetle solo series that depicts him as an adult!
    Have we ever had a dentist superhero before?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Today, on Jaime Reyes' darkest, most depraved fantasies...

... a obturation!

*sound of whirring drill*

⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan #1's Avatar

Why he isn't with the Teen Titans is beyond me. It just doesn't make sense, now that I think about it.

I agree with you, Gato, that they should either age him up and put him in the League if his book doesn't survive or they don't wanna put him with the Titans.

I dropped Blue Beetle a few months ago, and for a few reasons. Jaime was on point, his friends were on point, but that wasn't enough. The main reasons I dropped it were:

1) Overly long 1st arc. Seriously, I have no idea how a 10 issue introductory arc got approved. Worse, it just hasn't been that interesting.
    I agree with you on that. It has been dragging on a long while now.

I'm gonna read his Pre-Flashpoint stuff and see if I like it.
    Last edited by Flash Fan #1; 06-11-2017 at 03:32 PM.

Ultimate Member

They were probably told they were going to get x number of issues. Same thing with Cyborg's long story with the fake father.

I don't think they need to age him. He basically plays the Spider-Man role in Injustice. The young optimistic hero who the veteran hero has taken under his wing. That works fine. Plus he could be DC's answer to Kamala Khan. Again, there's no need to age her either.
    Jaime has become very popular in other media. Obviously appearances in Batman: the Brave and the Bold, the Young Justice show, and DC animated movies has introduced him to a new generation of fans. I have a Blue Beetle tattoo and it always amazes me how many people recognize the character. Sadly this popularity hasn't translated into comic book sales.
    A lot of younger fans have taken to the character but his book doesn't sell. I think it's another example of the aging of comic book readers. Superheroes in general are more popular than ever but it hasn't lead to record book sales. Comic books are a very niche market. The average reader is older and with an income that allows them to drop a wad of cash on comics every week. With comics being rather expensive readers are less likely to take a chance on lesser known characters or a book that's getting average reviews. A reason why Batman will always sell.

I think/hope movie studios are getting the hint that there is a big market for more diverse superheroes. Wonder Woman is blowing up at the box office and Black Panther is going to be huge. El Diablo brought in a large number of Hispanic fans to Suicide Squad. Maybe we'll see Jaime enter in the DCEU someday soon. Until then we have Blue Beetle's animated and video game appearances to enjoy. Hopefully that continues.

As far as the current comic run, it has been light years better than the horrible New 52 Blue Beetle but still not great. It got off to a very slow start which is something a mid tier character just can't afford. I'm reeeally hoping they get rid of the magic origin and bring back The Reach as soon as possible. Have a cohesive origin story that lines up with his origin in other media. Makes it easier for new fans to jump into the comic.
    Last edited by Robotman; 06-11-2017 at 04:08 PM.

BANNED

When half the fanbase doesn't like him......

Blue Beetle might be a character that has more potential in other markets.

I personally prefer Jaime's Pre-Flashpoint book to any media adaptations.

I still think his YJ appearance is by far his best showing in any medium, yes even above his original series.

And to my knowledge no there hasnt been any superheroes who were also dentists.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

BANNED

I still think his YJ appearance is by far his best showing in any medium, yes even above his original series.
    Fair enough. For me, the ongoing plot of the comic was better told, the presence of Jaime's friends and family, Traci, Peacemaker (We really need him back), and Guy Gardner, in addition to the constant respect paid to Ted's legacy made the book stronger than the show for me, at least as far as Blue Beetle goes. (Plus the conclusion of the Reach storyline in the comic pretty much trumps the season 2 ending of YJ in every way.)

And to my knowledge no there hasnt been any superheroes who were also dentists.
    Well then a grown up Jaime could be the first!