Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    541

    Default Joss Whedon's Wonder Woman & The Justice League

    Man, oh, man, am I happy that Joss Whedon's Wonder Woman never got to see the light of day. Makes me wonder how they plan to portray her in the Justice League as I heard they are doing massive reshoots.

    His script didn't portray Diana in the most competent light; in fact she lost two major battles, and she lost all of her power in this one film. Say what you will about Snyder but at least he portrayed her as a tank in BvS; in those few minutes, I never saw a weak Wonder Woman.

    I am a bit uneasy knowing that Snyder will be stepping away for awhile, and Whedon will be taking over after reading this: http://collider.com/wonder-woman-joss-whedon/#poster

  2. #2
    Mighty Member RealWonderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,980

    Default

    I'm not worried. Diana is Diana now. She's $$. I think they are reshooting the middle/end of Act 3, so that now Diana and Dark Kal have a big battle, that ends with Diana using the lasso to break Kal free to become the New Superman. Then they defeat Steppenwolf, only to rrealize Darkseid is the Big Bad for the sequel.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

  3. #3
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    623

    Default

    Eh. It was a script. Probably not the final one.

    Sure, I enjoy Patty Jenkins' actual film more than Joss Whedon's theoretical film, but it also sounds as though Wonder Woman was written by Jenkins and others partially "on the fly" with a fair amount of improvisation by Gal and Chris thrown in as well. So, if I read the "shooting script" for Jenkins' film, then it may have sounded as misguided (in parts) as Whedon's film.

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Eh. It was a script. Probably not the final one.

    Sure, I enjoy Patty Jenkins' actual film more than Joss Whedon's theoretical film, but it also sounds as though Wonder Woman was written by Jenkins and others partially "on the fly" with a fair amount of improvisation by Gal and Chris thrown in as well. So, if I read the "shooting script" for Jenkins' film, then it may have sounded as misguided (in parts) as Whedon's film.
    I've heard nothing to that effect. We only know that a script was written for WW. It went through some changes, as all scripts do. Rumor has it Geoff Johns may have done some uncredited work to touch some things up, but nothing has been said about Gal and Pine improving a lot.

    To answer the issue?

    1.) The "massive reshoots" rumor is just that. A rumor. There are going to be reshoots and even some new scenes, but it remains unclear as to their extent.

    2.) Until and unless we hear otherwise, the plan is still to pursue Snyder's vision for the movie. Joss is just the "hired gun" who's been brought in to finish the execution of the plan. Now, that may end up being inaccurate. They may be radically changing the movie in response to Wonder Woman's success. If that's the case? Then that's just further proof that Joss Whedon won't be making any big changes to Diana's character. THIS Diana just made big bucks and may have influenced the direction of the DCEU going forward. WB won't LET him make any big changes to her.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

    --Lord Alfred Tennyson--

  5. #5
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Eh. It was a script. Probably not the final one.

    Sure, I enjoy Patty Jenkins' actual film more than Joss Whedon's theoretical film, but it also sounds as though Wonder Woman was written by Jenkins and others partially "on the fly" with a fair amount of improvisation by Gal and Chris thrown in as well. So, if I read the "shooting script" for Jenkins' film, then it may have sounded as misguided (in parts) as Whedon's film.
    That is rather speculative. I am comparing the elements of each story (as is) and concluding that Whedon has no clue as to how to write Wonder Woman. He probably believed that because he included the invisible jet, it was authentically a Wonder Woman story.

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dianafan1985 View Post
    That is rather speculative. I am comparing the elements of each story (as is) and concluding that Whedon has no clue as to how to write Wonder Woman. He probably believed that because he included the invisible jet, it was authentically a Wonder Woman story.
    Yeah, for all his success at MCU movies, I do worry a bit about Whedon coming to the DCEU. By his own admission, he's always been a "Marvel Boy." He acknowledged quiet a while ago that he really doesn't know DC characters very well.

    As I said, I doubt he'll have the chance to make any radical changes to Diana, but he better have done his homework on Batgirl.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

    --Lord Alfred Tennyson--

  7. #7
    They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    655

    Default

    I'm more worried about Snyder's original plot than I am about the fact that Whedon's been brought in as a script doctor. I have zero confidence in Snyder's ability to handle the characters.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I'm more worried about Snyder's original plot than I am about the fact that Whedon's been brought in as a script doctor. I have zero confidence in Snyder's ability to handle the characters.
    He handled Diana just fine in BvS, and he had at least some influence on the story of her own movie.

    As to the rest? Geoff Johns is also involved in this movie and he definitely helped make Wonder Woman awesome. He recently tweeted Heroic Hollywood, telling them they would soon have to revise their "Top Five Best Superman Moments in the DCEU So Far" list.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

    --Lord Alfred Tennyson--

  9. #9
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    I'm not worried. Diana is Diana now. She's $$. I think they are reshooting the middle/end of Act 3, so that now Diana and Dark Kal have a big battle, that ends with Diana using the lasso to break Kal free to become the New Superman. Then they defeat Steppenwolf, only to rrealize Darkseid is the Big Bad for the sequel.
    I'm hoping that's not in there. And apparently the planned sequel was folded into this anyways.

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    I'm hoping that's not in there. And apparently the planned sequel was folded into this anyways.
    According to Geoff Johns, we've got at least one REALLY epic Superman moment coming up, so I'm guessing Superman either doesn't turn evil at all, or if he does, it'll be brief and he'll make up for it in a big way.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

    --Lord Alfred Tennyson--

  11. #11
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Swingin' Above Ya
    Posts
    9,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I'm more worried about Snyder's original plot than I am about the fact that Whedon's been brought in as a script doctor. I have zero confidence in Snyder's ability to handle the characters.
    I dunno. His take on Supes and Bats may be divisive but it looks like he completely got Diana.


  12. #12
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I dunno. His take on Supes and Bats may be divisive but it looks like he completely got Diana.

    I think Snyder's characterization so far in the dceu has been the best thing about the films the problem for me are the plots and i think we've had too many consecutive bad/convoluted plots to just ignore that it could be his fault. I do worry about Whendon though he may have been progressive in the early 2000's but he hasn't improved at all with how he's handled his female characters and after reading his WW script I am a little worried how things will work out for her in this movie.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 06-11-2017 at 10:02 PM.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I've heard nothing to that effect. We only know that a script was written for WW. It went through some changes, as all scripts do. Rumor has it Geoff Johns may have done some uncredited work to touch some things up, but nothing has been said about Gal and Pine improving a lot.
    Supposedly they "completely improvised" the boat scene; see https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/9/157...r-woman-improv

    Granted, that's just one scene, albeit an important one. I don't know if they improvised anything else.

    2.) Until and unless we hear otherwise, the plan is still to pursue Snyder's vision for the movie. Joss is just the "hired gun" who's been brought in to finish the execution of the plan. Now, that may end up being inaccurate. They may be radically changing the movie in response to Wonder Woman's success. If that's the case? Then that's just further proof that Joss Whedon won't be making any big changes to Diana's character. THIS Diana just made big bucks and may have influenced the direction of the DCEU going forward. WB won't LET him make any big changes to her.
    This seems right.

  14. #14
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,829

    Default

    I think the thing we learn from WONDER WOMAN and THE DARK KNIGHT is that it's best to pick a story and tell that story. WONDER WOMAN doesn't have to concern itself with setting up other storylines, establishing an extended universe. You could even take the bookends off the movie and have the essential story, because the bookends are only there to connect the movie to the others.

    The problem for SUICIDE SQUAD and even moreso BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is that they were over-burdened with telling too many other stories, besides the central story that should have been the whole movie.

    And this is what worries me about JUSTICE LEAGUE. I don't doubt we'll have great actors, great characters and great scenes--but it might be pushed to tell too many stories all in one go--rather than just sticking with the one story about this hapless band of heroes.
    " I'm shocked! shocked! to find that gambling is going on in here!"

  15. #15
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Swingin' Above Ya
    Posts
    9,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrodite's Champion View Post
    I think Snyder's characterization so far in the dceu has been the best thing about the films the problem for me are the plots and i think we've had too many consecutive bad/convoluted plots to just ignore that it could be his fault. I do worry about Whendon though he may have been progressive in the early 2000's but he hasn't improved at all with how he's handled his female characters and after reading his WW script I am a little worried how things will work out for her in this movie.
    I agree. I admire and respect Whedon for standing up for positive women's representation in media when few of his male peers did. But now it is apparent that he too has limitations of a "male feminist" and his approach to depicting women characters and their story arcs is very one-note and hence capable of annoying actual, real life women.

    I don't think he will make major changes to Snyder's characterization of Diana though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •