Astonishing Member

Default Are Wonder Woman's Post Crisis Villains more formidable then the Pre Crisis ones

I was reading an article about Ares and the article described his Golden Age counter part, Mars, being goofy even for the Silver Age:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/wo.../1100-6450530/

It seems like the 1987 version of Ares was more formidable.

Likewise, Pre crisis Cheetah was a mentally disturbed woman in a ct costume, while the post Crisis Cheetah is the avatar for a god, who has enough speed and strength to challenge WW.

Also the modern versions of Dr. Poison seem more dangerous and lethal then the Golden Age version of the character.

Do you think its fair to say Wonder Woman's Post Crisis Villains more formidable then the Pre Crisis ones or is that an unfair statement?

Mighty Member

I think post crisis sounds better on paper but they rarely have made much sense or done much of anything. I also think that the fact that they sound better on paper has a lot to do with the way George Perez wrote because things always seemed bigger/better than they were to me when I read his run. Her Pre Crisis runs always appealed to me more than most of the post crisis version. Ares in the golden age seemed to be a much bigger/more important foe than his Post Crisis version. I like the n52 version more than the post crisis version too, I just hate that Azzarello made him stop being a villain.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 06-10-2017 at 07:31 PM.

I favor Pre-Crisis Wonder Woman always but the Cheetah revamp was a good one. I do feel it was a shame that Debbie Doumain didn't have a longer shelf-life because I thought the angle of the Cheetah as an eco-terrorist was equally interesting to the 'avatar of a god' treatment. I also thought it was unnecessary to revamp Silver Swan just a few years after her debut, I loved her Pre-Crisis costume. Post-Crisis also relied waaaay too much on Circe IMO.

Post-Crisis did a good job with Cheetah, Dr. Poison and Doctor Psycho but they should've modernized more lesser known WW villains as well.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    I favor Pre-Crisis Wonder Woman always but the Cheetah revamp was a good one. I do feel it was a shame that Debbie Doumain didn't have a longer shelf-life because I thought the angle of the Cheetah as an eco-terrorist was equally interesting to the 'avatar of a god' treatment. I also thought it was unnecessary to revamp Silver Swan just a few years after her debut, I loved her Pre-Crisis costume. Post-Crisis also relied waaaay too much on Circe IMO.

Post-Crisis did a good job with Cheetah, Dr. Poison and Doctor Psycho but they should've modernized more lesser known WW villains as well.

I agree with all of this. I'd just like to add that Wonder Woman(and many other DC characters) became more powerful after Crisis so I think the formidability of these villains is just a sign of the times.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post

Do you think its fair to say Wonder Woman's Post Crisis Villains more formidable then the Pre Crisis ones or is that an unfair statement?
    I think Post Crisis Diana is more formidable so her opponents must be also. I also think too many of her Pre Crisis foes were neglected for too long.

More formidable? Absolutely.

More interesting? In some cases, sure. But on the whole I'd say no. Marston laid a foundation for her rogues gallery, one which future writers simply didn't follow for whatever reason.