Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All-New Member

Don't think he would have liked any recent presidents at all, maybe Jimmy Carter.

Really depends on the writer to be honest, they made Obama a superhero even though, under his command, the US has committed large scale war crimes and crimes against humanity. Really, you can easily consider Bush, Obama, Trump all as war criminals, which I do.
    Last edited by Blueblox; 06-12-2017 at 12:40 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blueblox View Post
    Don't think he would have liked any recent presidents at all, maybe Jimmy Carter.

Really depends on the writer to be honest, they made Obama a superhero even though, under his command, the US has committed large scale war crimes and crimes against humanity. Really, you can easily consider Bush, Obama, Trump all as war criminals, which I do.
    He shouldn't, but he'd likely have a fine relationship with every President except for Nixon post-Watergate and now Trump.

Superman's written as respecting the Presidency, although I think the character would work better if he didn't. He was respectful to Truman in their brief meeting, years after Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Superman hasn't really been written as taking a lot of issues with the American Empire.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    He shouldn't, but he'd likely have a fine relationship with every President except for Nixon post-Watergate and now Trump.

Superman's written as respecting the Presidency, although I think the character would work better if he didn't. He was respectful to Truman in their brief meeting, years after Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Superman hasn't really been written as taking a lot of issues with the American Empire.
    What Bush did and what Obama and Trump continue to do with the NSA is much worse then Watergate. So I really don't think he should have a fine relationship with the previous 2 presidents plus Trump.

I mean, we can get into arguments and debates over should he have fine relationships, but getting back to op's question. I'd think that superman would disagree openly with his positions, but hold respect with of the democratically held position. He should take them to Geneva or den Haag to get prosecuted for crimes against humanity, but he's too much of a nationalist to do that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blueblox View Post
    What Bush did and what Obama and Trump continue to do with the NSA is much worse then Watergate. So I really don't think he should have a fine relationship with the previous 2 presidents plus Trump.
    I wasn't trying to say that Watergate was worse than all the innocent people that have died under other Presidents or all the spying that has taken place, but that since none of those Presidents were impeached, Superman would be written as still respecting their authority, and still have a dutiful relationship with them.

The only reasons I think Trump might be different is because of how cartoonish he is, and how openly unpopular he is.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 06-12-2017 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    Ascended, do you remember this?

Prepare for a second term. Oh, the poor italians.
    Heh, I forgot all about that post!

So I got part of it right......should we start getting excited for Justice League Avengers? lol
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

They've already done that storyline. It was called President Luthor

EDIT - Actually I was being too kind there. Luthor is highly intelligent.

Astonishing Member

Honestly it'd be impossible to say.

Trump would either somehow be worse or much more restrained in a world with superheroes. He can't really act as he does in a world of heroes. Not fully at least.

Trump: I'm going to obliterate and hurt everyone's access to Healthcare all while acting it helps anyone!
    Bruce Wayne and Oliver Queen: Good thing we've just helped all medical groups in the USA and fixed up your damage.

Trump: We're pulling out of the Paris Accords and don't care about environmental effects anymore.
    Aquaman: Yeah...no. If a single thing gets worse because of you guys I'll be more than willing to have an army of Atlantians follow you until you do better than this. I don't EVEN need to threraten to make an attack.
    Trump: Re-considering...

Trump: Grab her by the-
    Wonder Woman: *simply staring at him*
    Trump: *coughs and walks off*

As for Superman himself...he'd do everything to keep him in line and just be very clearly opposing him but nice about it.

Like showing up to every single thing Trump does getting interviews and pointing out the oddities of his actions. Or going to spots Trump doesn't want lights to be shined on and bringing attention to them. Basically just letting Trump scandalize HIMSELF at every opportunity. All while doing it with a smile and saying how he loves having a great relationship with the US President while also having meetings with other who are Trump's opponents.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    They've already done that storyline. It was called President Luthor

EDIT - Actually I was being too kind there. Luthor is highly intelligent.
    And despite his "occasional" murders he's not so bad of a boss. And even if he was it tends to be run by others on occasion.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

He wouldn't like him. That's all I will say.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Honestly it'd be impossible to say.
    Pretty much, if we consider that it's highly unlikely DC would bother with such a story. The same way they never bothered with Bush, Obama, etc.

But it's easy enough to imagine based on one's own political bias.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

He'd like and respect the President.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    He'd like and respect the President.
    Well, obviously we all insert at least a degree of our political views into this, but can you clarify why you think this? Clark has usually been shown as being much more lenient on immigration (he's an illegal immigrant himself, after all), he's usually in favor of demilitarization (see the times he's thrown the world's nukes into the sun), and he takes claims of corruption very poorly. I mean, innocent until proven guilty but still, even the claim has gotten Clark pissed off before.

trump has been good to our vets, which is great, and that's something Clark would support and approve of. But I struggle to see Clark approving of any politician just due to the nature of compromise the job requires.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Better forget put Trump in the comics..

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Clark has usually been shown as being much more lenient on immigration (he's an illegal immigrant himself, after all), he's usually in favor of demilitarization (see the times he's thrown the world's nukes into the sun), and he takes claims of corruption very poorly. I mean, innocent until proven guilty but still, even the claim has gotten Clark pissed off before.

trump has been good to our vets, which is great, and that's something Clark would support and approve of. But I struggle to see Clark approving of any politician just due to the nature of compromise the job requires.
    I don't think your position on immigration is supported by the comics. Superman's race forcefully build their own planet due to clash of cultures and lack of integration, following mass immigration from Kandor. Then they declared war on the entire Earth, after they had their countr---eh planet blown up by US---er Earth, and the whole storyline ended with kryptonian genocide and massive casualties on Earth's side.

Superman isn't naive enough to have the far-left open borders point of view. He knows not everybody is him and Kara, there are Zod's and Xa-Dus, too. At the same time, he's all about judging people individually and seeing the good in them (which is also different from the left's identity politics, but I digress), so he'd try to help as many people as possible, and wouldn't judge them based on their culture or faith, so he wouldn't be anywhere close to the far-right, either.

Realistically, he'd intervene and stop the war in Syria, and get everybody back there and help them reconstruct their country, so the idea of mass immigration would be rendered moot.
    Last edited by GodofBoredom; 06-12-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, obviously we all insert at least a degree of our political views into this, but can you clarify why you think this? Clark has usually been shown as being much more lenient on immigration (he's an illegal immigrant himself, after all), he's usually in favor of demilitarization (see the times he's thrown the world's nukes into the sun), and he takes claims of corruption very poorly. I mean, innocent until proven guilty but still, even the claim has gotten Clark pissed off before.
    I think it's a issue where DC's posture and the 4th wall and comic tradition and etc all intersect in that DC comics are supposed to be for everyone (Scott Snyder reiterated this recently in an interview), left, right, etc, so I think Superman tends to afford all Presidents high respect. Obama, Trump, Bush, Clinton, etc are not fictional fake Presidents like Lex, so I think that's a fundamental difference there. I could talk about Superman's favoring of rule of law, and how Superman tried to enlist in the army, the war era comics, and how all Presidents have scandals and accusations of corruption. So I think Superman is meant to like and respect all real-life Presidents and not be partisan...except where Lex's evil political machinations are concerned, which are more about knowing Lex than any policy.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-12-2017 at 09:01 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”