Default What silly tropes in Marvel Comics, tropes from any era, do you enjoy?

When reading a collected edition – I recall Peter Parker washing his Spider-Man costume. While a simple moment- the scene creates a fantastic relatable standard of superheroes covering the mundane, which I believed became tropes of Marvel Comics.

These “exercises in the mundane” tropes are plentiful in Marvel Comics– Bruce Banner always looking to steal clothes post Hulk, the MCU mini movie Thor’s Roommate, etc.

The subject came to mind when thinking about the costume in Spider-Man Homecoming. Very rarely has Spider-Man been depicted in his comic body stocking. Peter – as a character I believe, wouldn’t keep up on trimming his nails (toes or otherwise). I wondered if having his Spider-Man suit rip as a result was ever touched upon in the character’s history – then I thought of all the other mundane moments and Marvel Comics’ tropes through the years.

What silly tropes in Marvel Comics, tropes from any era, do you enjoy?
    I love comics and make art. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ARose...9658123?ref=hl

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by arosenbarger View Post
    When reading a collected edition – I recall Peter Parker washing his Spider-Man costume. While a simple moment- the scene creates a fantastic relatable standard of superheroes covering the mundane, which I believed became tropes of Marvel Comics.

These “exercises in the mundane” tropes are plentiful in Marvel Comics– Bruce Banner always looking to steal clothes post Hulk, the MCU mini movie Thor’s Roommate, etc.

The subject came to mind when thinking about the costume in Spider-Man Homecoming. Very rarely has Spider-Man been depicted in his comic body stocking. Peter – as a character I believe, wouldn’t keep up on trimming his nails (toes or otherwise). I wondered if having his Spider-Man suit rip as a result was ever touched upon in the character’s history – then I thought of all the other mundane moments and Marvel Comics’ tropes through the years.

What silly tropes in Marvel Comics, tropes from any era, do you enjoy?
    I love the fact that the rivalry between Reed Richards and Doom is all because they were college roommates that didn't get along. No long lost twins or clones or any of the other usual convoluted reasons.

Extraordinary Member

My favorite Marvel-specific trope is the ordinary person on the street making comments on the superheroes: making fun of their costumes, admiring their looks, or just dismissing the fight as "some nutty publicity stunt."

I think one of the things that sums up the Marvel attitude is that bystanders actually react the way we might react if we saw people in ridiculous clothes running around punching people.

Avengers 060-002.jpg
    Last edited by gurkle; 07-05-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Astonishing Member

Don't know if this counts but I love the number of exceptional super brains running around