Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Ah okay, it ends the first volume and she teamed up with them + Crux. I didn`t recall one single thing that gave me a big aha! but he does say "that`s he girl i remember" while figthing.

Which for these two is clearly wink for foreplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    Ah okay, it ends the first volume and she teamed up with them + Crux. I didn`t recall one single thing that gave me a big aha! but he does say "that`s he girl i remember" while figthing.

Which for these two is clearly wink for foreplay.
    I'm pretty sure it was the snappy banter between them that gave the implication

Jason: "I remember the last time I saw you, you had a big, satisfied smile on your face".
    Rose: "I was being polite".

and then you have that line about her being on business and that he is a distraction. quote "An impossibly adorable and positively scrumptious distraction at that."
    Then you get the "thats the girl I remember" part.

But yeah I'm pretty sure the first piece of dialogue was what gave away their previous relationship status. At least in the new52.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Starfire's character was the main reason for the problems. Lobdell wrote her horribly in the beginning and they even had to move around the issues in the first volume release to try and make her appear in a better light. After all the criticism Lobdell tried to do a 180 and fix it, like quickly explain away her memory problems and put her in some relationship with Roy so she didn't seem like a "slut", but I don't think he ever really got Starfire's character right. At least not compared to Jason and Roy to some extent. Though it had Rocafort on art in the beginning and he was a HUGE reason I think the series did as well as it did. It might be worth getting just for his art, especially if you like Lobdell's Jason. The series dips a lot more in quality once Rocafort leaves, but by then you should know if you like the series or not.
    It was imo in general not a good idea to team Jason up with two of Dicks closest friends, that felt allwas a little like they wanted to keep these characters arround but didn't really knew were to put them.

I still think that Red Devil would have been a better (but probaly less popular) choise than Roy, since he had actually an established friendship with Jason. But I can't really think of a good replacement for Kory (maybe really Artemis).

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    It was imo in general not a good idea to team Jason up with two of Dicks closest friends, that felt allwas a little like they wanted to keep these characters arround but didn't really knew were to put them.

I still think that Red Devil would have been a better (but probaly less popular) choise than Roy, since he had actually an established friendship with Jason. But I can't really think of a good replacement for Kory (maybe really Artemis).
    It did feel that way. They are important characters to Dick and Green Arrow's characters, but with the Titans history gone and them wanting to start from scratch with Green Arrow in the New 52 they didn't know how to use them. Jason probably had the most freedom to run around the DCU and do anything, since he wasn't tied to a city, so they stuck them with him.

Red Devil might have been interesting, and Artemis has worked very well in the new series. I think Roy worked okay because there are so many parallels with him and Jason, like conflicts with their mentors and feelings of failure, but Starfire's story is so important to Dick and the Titans as a whole that it didn't work as well replacing all of them with just Roy and Jason and them being the ones who helped her overcome her conflicts and build a life on Earth in the New 52.

Rose might have worked well in the Outlaws if Lobdell didn't screw up her character so much in the New 52, or a Blackfire might have been interesting instead of a Starfire. Though I think Lobo might have been fun if they wanted to do more space stories. He is a character that feels like an Outlaw. Original Lobo of course not the New 52 one they tried to make all sexy, lol.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I think Roy worked okay because there are so many parallels with him and Jason, like conflicts with their mentors and feelings of failure, but Starfire's story is so important to Dick and the Titans as a whole that it didn't work as well replacing all of them with just Roy and Jason and them being the ones who helped her overcome her conflicts and build a life on Earth in the New 52.
    Roy worked good, the only problem was really that his supposed to be one of Dicks closest friends.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Roy worked good, the only problem was really that his supposed to be one of Dicks closest friends.
    Yep. It would've been fine if Roy and Dicks relationship didn't get thrown under the bus. It's the same with Tim and Jason imo. Tim and Dick were super close but in their efforts to do something different it went to making Jason the only one Tim ever felt close to. Just awful.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    Yep. It would've been fine if Roy and Dicks relationship didn't get thrown under the bus. It's the same with Tim and Jason imo. Tim and Dick were super close but in their efforts to do something different it went to making Jason the only one Tim ever felt close to. Just awful.
    I would claim that in the one issue were Tim and Dick interacted (Grayson #13 iirc) they felt as close as pre flashpoint, the problem is just that appart from this issue there was hardly any interaction between those two, which was imo one of the major let downs of BRE and Robin WAR.

BANNED

Just wanted to say thanks for all the various thoughtful answers to my question about the new 52 RHATO

Spectacular Member

I am very happy to see a good reception that has to see the all blades again! I remember there were people who at first did not like it.

For me all blades are something that makes jason different and more interesting, his mystical training.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

To be fair, I'm less excited by the All Blades than by the fact this means the All Caste continues to be part of Jason's backstory. Honestly it soured me a bit on them the awful treatment Tynion did with them.

Admittedly I was unsure of the all-blades when I first read rhato, mainly since I prefer the duel pistols as a main weapon, second only to good old fisty cuffs.
    But they are a unique weapon, and I do like that aspect that Lobdell added about the blades gaining strength from Jasons soul (I thought it gained strength from his blood in new52, was that a rewrite in this issue??)

ALSO Anyone else catch the page where Jasons swords, just, run out of power? Do you suppose that will be something that will come into question later in rhato? Like perhaps Jasons very soul is being weakened? I feel like I remember Lobdell stating in an interview that he was thinking of creating a story arc about Jasons soul and the self doubt that he even has one anymore.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Admittedly I was unsure of the all-blades when I first read rhato, mainly since I prefer the duel pistols as a main weapon, second only to good old fisty cuffs.
    But they are a unique weapon, and I do like that aspect that Lobdell added about the blades gaining strength from Jasons soul (I thought it gained strength from his blood in new52, was that a rewrite in this issue??)

ALSO Anyone else catch the page where Jasons swords, just, run out of power? Do you suppose that will be something that will come into question later in rhato? Like perhaps Jasons very soul is being weakened? I feel like I remember Lobdell stating in an interview that he was thinking of creating a story arc about Jasons soul and the self doubt that he even has one anymore.
    I remember that as well and I do have to think that Lobdell is planting that plot thread here. It seems like a minor thing on the surface but it could have ramifications down the line particularly if Jason ends up needing to use them again soon and they fizzle out on him more quickly that time around. This might lead him into questioning the existence of his own soul.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post

Yep basically the first thing I said in this thread. Also someone who has inside info just posted on tumblr that apparently Lobdell is going "that way" with Jason's soul. So pretty much a safe bet. I'm very excited for this development.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I remember that as well and I do have to think that Lobdell is planting that plot thread here. It seems like a minor thing on the surface but it could have ramifications down the line particularly if Jason ends up needing to use them again soon and they fizzle out on him more quickly that time around. This might lead him into questioning the existence of his own soul.
    I'd see that happen as well. The journey to healing is still long for Jason. And I could also imagine a day where the All Blades display their true power. A day like Ducra once said.

Last edited by G-Potion; 06-15-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Potion View Post
    Yep basically the first thing I said in this thread. Also someone who has inside info just posted on tumblr that apparently Lobdell is going "that way" with Jason's soul. So pretty much a safe bet. I'm very excited for this development.
    Whoops should of read through first, my bad.
    But yeah, I'm pretty excited too, I wonder if the 'soul' aspect will only be concerning the all-caste training or if Lobdell will dive deeper into Jasons actual resurrection. We did get confirmation that Jason still dug his way out of his grave so it wasnt the Lazarus pit that revived him. I'm doubtful DC is gonna give the superboy prime reasoning for this rendition so, what do guys suppose revived him?

Even though I would like it to remain a forever mystery, its just more interesting for me that way. If I HAD to pick an explanation, I personally have always wanted Death from the Endless to be involved in Jasons resurrection somehow, BUT admittedly that's just the fan in me talking, I just love the Sandman series.