Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default OFFICIAL Top Cow Talent Hunt Discussion Thread

Hello!

This thread will serve as the Top Cow-sanctioned official discussion forum for all matters relating to Talent Hunt 2017. Feel free to discuss your submissions with your fellow participants, or ask questions of Top Cow President and COO Matt Hawkins -- who will stop by this thread periodically as time allows, along with other Top Cow employees.

Full rules, submission agreement and sample scripts are available for download here.

Thanks, have fun, and good luck!

All-New Member

Hi, I saw an article that said artists are to draw 5 pages, but the rules I downloaded said "pencil the script". I've already started with intention of producing the entire story but wanted clarification on the rules for artists?
    https://youtu.be/_VhiH6tTWWs

Custom User Title

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ching in Comic News
    Artists will need to submit illustrations of five pages from either “Postal” #9 (introduction of the character Molly) or “Postal” #16 (finale of the Aryan Brotherhood arc).
    You are free to draw as many pages as you like, but there is the 10mb attachment size that you would need to take into account. You can always submit your five best pages and include a link of the entire story when you email your submission.

After reading past Talent Hunt threads, it seems that writers were allowed to submit more than 1 original script. Is this the case for 2017? How many script submissions are permitted?
    Last edited by dgilbertson66; 06-12-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Jleemorris

Hello all, I am curious of one thing which I'm not sure about. I understand that artist should draw 5 pages. I am wondering if they should be 5 sequential pages or should we try and find the 5 pages that show the largest range of our ability?

All-New Member

I've got a few pages complete so far.
    https://instagram.com/p/BVTxINvAVRV/
    I'm aiming to do the whole strip as a completed comics better showcases my artwork and proves the ability to finish a script to a deadline.

Phil Read

Jleemorris, In my experience publishers usually prefer to see pages in sequence as it shows that you can tell a story. For my submission I've chosen 5 sequential pages that contain at least one change of scene, and multiple characters in order to show a range of abilities. Thats just me though, would be interested to see what others think.
    Last edited by Phil Read; 06-15-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Derek Kunsken

@dgilbertson66: I asked this question to Matt Hawkins by twitter a couple of months ago. He replied to me that it's fine to submit more than one original script if I have more ideas.

Caleb_Lefever

Hey, Just wanted to know how exact on the scrip do we have to be? Do we have to draw it panel for panel or say can we combine 2 panels?

All-New Member

Hello i just have a few questions about the competition. I have read through everything and i couldn't find my answers there soo, Is there any preferred format entry for the artist portion of the competition beyond the file size. Like if you want the files to be pdf, jpeg, psd ect ect. Also can we submit the files as a compressed zip file? and is there a preference on whether or not the pieces are just pencil, or inked or is full on ink and color ok?

Smile

Oh boy, meant to do this last year and missed the boat. Looking forward to attempting this year. Hi top cow team and participants!
    Although im entering as an artist, im not sure if you're looking for a similar style or a different style to apply to the postal title for entry submissions. Granted its a given eveyone will have different styles, but sometimes i know publishers have something in mind that they are looking for.

That being said my style isnt really like Isaacs, but im hopping my difference won't be working against me lol.
    https://justart270.artstation.com/pages/the-artist
    Either way this should be fun.

Also dose anyone know if the winner is working on just postal or other titles too?
    Last edited by Justart27; 06-22-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kunsken View Post
    @dgilbertson66: I asked this question to Matt Hawkins by twitter a couple of months ago. He replied to me that it's fine to submit more than one original script if I have more ideas.
    Thanks man! Also, just an fyi, I asked him on twitter what 1 piece of advice he would give to writers and he said "write a single character story about an emotional reaction"

Spectacular Member

Hey gang - Ryan Cady here, writer of Magdalena, Warframe, etc etc.

I promised Matt I'd help with the Talent Hunt again this year, so I'll be hanging around this thread every once in awhile and answering questions when I can. It'll be sporadic, but I'll try to get everyone the help they need. First thing's first, let me address some repeated questions -

1.You're welcome to draw more than 5 pages. You're welcome to write more than one script. I personally do not recommend it. I've been a judge on this Talent Hunt for 4 years, and never has there been an instance where quantity clinched it for anyone. You're much better off using that time to make sure that your submission is polished, pristine, and presentable.

2. The files can be submitted in any format that Adobe Photoshop will open. If you want meaningless brownie points, send via dropbox/link instead of as a direct email attachment, because our TALENT HUNT folder is getting kinda chunky with heavy emails. Either way, PLEASE do not send giant-size, high res files. It will upset us. Save those for when you win and you're uploading your paid work to our official FTP.

3. Treat this the way you would treat a real for-hire gig. Except, I mean, you have a really long time to do it and you only need to submit 5 pages/1 script. But I mean that you should be professional, patient, and chill. Take the script as a working artist would, execute it in your style, and be proud of it. Write an issue that fits with the tone of the universe but also puts your mark on it. Quality is key.

4. It's fine if you submit your stuff early, but don't expect to hear back from anyone until after the deadline. No one will even be looking at these submissions until after the deadline.

5. Don't be a dick. Seriously. Obviously not to anyone at Top Cow...because, duh, they're the ones evaluating you, but also to people in this thread and on twitter and stuff. This industry doesn't need anymore assholes. As I tell my D&D players, always observe the 'rule of cool.'

Have fun. Do your best. I promise, it'll be all right.

Spectacular Member

Hey, I thought I'd drop in and wish everyone luck, since I was pretty active on the past Talent Hunt threads.

Hey gang - Ryan Cady here, writer of Magdalena, Warframe, etc etc.

I promised Matt I'd help with the Talent Hunt again this year, so I'll be hanging around this thread every once in awhile and answering questions when I can. It'll be sporadic, but I'll try to get everyone the help they need. First thing's first, let me address some repeated questions -

1.You're welcome to draw more than 5 pages. You're welcome to write more than one script. I personally do not recommend it. I've been a judge on this Talent Hunt for 4 years, and never has there been an instance where quantity clinched it for anyone. You're much better off using that time to make sure that your submission is polished, pristine, and presentable.

2. The files can be submitted in any format that Adobe Photoshop will open. If you want meaningless brownie points, send via dropbox/link instead of as a direct email attachment, because our TALENT HUNT folder is getting kinda chunky with heavy emails. Either way, PLEASE do not send giant-size, high res files. It will upset us. Save those for when you win and you're uploading your paid work to our official FTP.

3. Treat this the way you would treat a real for-hire gig. Except, I mean, you have a really long time to do it and you only need to submit 5 pages/1 script. But I mean that you should be professional, patient, and chill. Take the script as a working artist would, execute it in your style, and be proud of it. Write an issue that fits with the tone of the universe but also puts your mark on it. Quality is key.

4. It's fine if you submit your stuff early, but don't expect to hear back from anyone until after the deadline. No one will even be looking at these submissions until after the deadline.

5. Don't be a dick. Seriously. Obviously not to anyone at Top Cow...because, duh, they're the ones evaluating you, but also to people in this thread and on twitter and stuff. This industry doesn't need anymore assholes. As I tell my D&D players, always observe the 'rule of cool.'

Have fun. Do your best. I promise, it'll be all right.
    I'd echo Ryan's sentiment. Don't be a dick. Because no one is going to want to work with you if you're unpleasant. The best thing you can do is help each other out and make sure that you create the best submission possible.

You don't want to win by undermining someone else.

You want to win because you've created something worthy of winning.

Also dose anyone know if the winner is working on just postal or other titles too?
    The winning artist will be working on whatever the winning writer has written, so that could be a script featuring characters from Postal, The Tithe or Think Tank.

You won't know what you're working on until after the Talent Hunt is complete.

Hey, Just wanted to know how exact on the scrip do we have to be? Do we have to draw it panel for panel or say can we combine 2 panels?
    I doubt you'd be disqualified for doing such a thing, but obviously you're taking a risk. So, it's up to you to determine whether such a risk is worth taking or not? If the result is a piece of artwork so mind blowingly brilliant that it can't fail to win you the competition, go for it.

If it's anything less than that, well, if it comes down to a choice between two equally good artists, one who has followed the script exactly and made it work, and one who has made changes without any real improvement, I'd imagine Top Cow would go with the former, rather than the latter.

After reading past Talent Hunt threads, it seems that writers were allowed to submit more than 1 original script. Is this the case for 2017? How many script submissions are permitted?
    The year I got a Runners-Up spot I did actually submit three scripts, but it's worth saying that I only did that because I put a lot of time aside, and I reached the point where I felt like my first script was done.

You're best putting all your efforts into creating one great script, and if you finish that way before the deadline, then and only then, consider writing a second.

I asked after I got the Runners-Up spot which of my script had actually carried me that far, which one was the best, and it turned out to be the script which I completed first.

So, while I don't regret writing multiple scripts, it didn't actually help me at all.

Anyway, good luck everyone.
    Last edited by Pauul; 06-24-2017 at 10:05 AM.

All-New Member

Working away at my submission and had a thought, is anyone in the Topcow community offering feedback other than after submitted? Once completed I'll be asking peers to critique but was wondering if any others were interrested Good luck to everyone!