Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

^^^ Pauul's being a real champ here everyone, great post. Would highly encourage everyone who can to pursue any of these submission opportunities!

Spectacular Member

Alterna Comics has just announced a new bi-monthly anthology series as well, which is open for submissions.

The name is It Came Out On A Wednesday.

They're accepting Horror, Sci-Fi and Fantasy stories. A maximum of 12 pages, no minimum page count.

Here is the submissions page; https://www.alternacomics.com/icooawsubmission

Spectacular Member

Hey gang, just letting you know that we've narrowed down submissions quite a bit, which means this contest is basically out of my hands and in those of the higher-ups! It was really difficult narrowing things down, we had some serious talent from y'all this year. All of you should be very, very proud.

Art this year was especially tough - we had a higher ratio of artists-writers than usual, and some spectacular talent submitted. I'm very curious to see who ends up winning, as there was a decent stack of people who, in my mind, were ready for consideration.

It may be another month or two before any winners get announced, but those that have been selected will be contacted privately before the announcement.

All-New Member

Default Thanks for the update.

Hey Ryan,

Many thanks for the update. I'm sure I can speak for the group in saying thanks and great work. We're all excited to see who gets the nod.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pauul View Post
    Maybe it would be a good idea to discuss what other opportunities are out there? While you guys are waiting on the results.

As I said in my previous post, the best way to succeed in this industry is persistence, so while it's a good idea to keep your ear to the ground to listen out for news on the next Talent Hunt, it's worth seeing what other opportunities are out there too.

It's probably worth mentioning that British based 2000AD has open submissions until the 2nd of March - http://2000ad.com/submissions/

2000AD is pretty tough, they're only interested in publishing truly original stories, and they've pretty much seen every story there is to tell. That said, it's a good exercise, submitting to a publisher and 2000AD is one of the few comics that has an open submissions policy..
    Seconded, but also - if you're UK based or able to get here - take a look at the artist and writer competitions they do at Thought Bubble each year, around September. For writers, there's a pitch session where you get a couple of minutes or less to give them your plot overview and then the panel pick a winner. The artists, they release a script online a few months before the convention which all entries must draw and a maximum of six finalists will go before a panel, with the winner drawing the story that won the writing pitch. So the prize for both is guaranteed paid work.

I was lucky enough to win the art competition at the last event and now my professional comics debut will be out next month with them, so it's definitely worth considering!
    Last edited by SketchyMagpie; 02-06-2018 at 05:49 AM.

Spectacular Member

Seconded, but also - if you're UK based or able to get here - take a look at the artist and writer competitions they do at Thought Bubble each year, around September. For writers, there's a pitch session where you get a couple of minutes or less to give them your plot overview and then the panel pick a winner. The artists, they release a script online a few months before the convention which all entries must draw and a maximum of six finalists will go before a panel, with the winner drawing the story that won the writing pitch. So the prize for both is guaranteed paid work.

I was lucky enough to win the art competition at the last event and now my professional comics debut will be out next month with them, so it's definitely worth considering!
    I've done the writing pitching session for the last couple of years. I've never won it, but you're right, it's a great opportunity. 2000AD does of course allow postal submissions as well (I believe that submissions are open until the beginning of March). However, I think you're much more likely to win if you go and pitch to them in person.

They always pick a winner for each category at Thought Bubble, which means a writer and an artist are guaranteed to get published, which is pretty great.

I've only learnt recently about this, but it may be of interest to those of you who already have some project underway: http://creatorsforcreators.org/2018-submission-open/

All-New Member

My last four sequential pages

page1.jpgpage2-3.jpgpage4.jpg

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedex_8 View Post
    My last four sequential pages

page1.jpgpage2-3.jpgpage4.jpg
    Very good. I dig it.

Thank you Ryan!

All-New Member

Hi! Does anyone know when will the winners be published?

Quote Originally Posted by Moreno View Post
    Hi! Does anyone know when will the winners be published?
    Hey Moreno, the post quoted below (bolding mine) by Ryan from Top Cow indicates that around 2 months after early February is when winners will be chosen. After that, private contact between Top Cow and the winners will presumably take place, so depending on how that goes it might still be a little while. Assuming that's how it went means that winners were/are being chosen early in April, so when that'll be announced publicly... Could be a little while, I assume Top Cow staff is very busy right now since they've just launched a few new succesful series!

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cow Ryan View Post
    Hey gang, just letting you know that we've narrowed down submissions quite a bit, which means this contest is basically out of my hands and in those of the higher-ups! It was really difficult narrowing things down, we had some serious talent from y'all this year. All of you should be very, very proud.

Art this year was especially tough - we had a higher ratio of artists-writers than usual, and some spectacular talent submitted. I'm very curious to see who ends up winning, as there was a decent stack of people who, in my mind, were ready for consideration.

It may be another month or two before any winners get announced, but those that have been selected will be contacted privately before the announcement.

Hey guys!
    Has anyone heard anything concerning the results?
    It seems we should have heard something by now since it's been three months since Top Cow Ryan's last posting.

Spectacular Member

The artwork by the two artist winners looks absolutely beautiful.

To everyone who didn't win, remember that there were only two slots for writers and two slots for artists this year. Just because you didn't make it this time around, doesn't mean you don't have what it takes. I entered three times in a row before I nabbed a Runners-Up spot.

The competition is tough. The truth is, a lot of people who entered probably do have what it takes to work professionally, but not everyone can win. So, keep trying. Enter again next time and try other things to break into the industry too.

Best of luck in the future to everyone.
    Last edited by Pauul; 05-02-2018 at 03:30 PM.