Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    ryanesta

Hi everyone! I wanted to get some thoughts on continuity.

It mentions that if the submitted story conflicts with established continuity, it will be automatically discarded - which is perfectly understandable. But I really love "The Tithe"/"Samaritan" and wanted to do a story featuring those characters. The great thing about that series is things change very drastically. In the rules, it lists some specific issues/runs of The Tithe, Eden's Fall and issue #1 of Samaritan as being good to brush up on. I guess my concern is writing a story that is deemed void when Samaritan #2, #3, etc. comes out.

Is this something I should be overly worried about? Should I write a story that is up-to-date to Samaritan #1 (since that's the most recent comic in that series listed in the rules) and leave it at that? Or should I write my story but don't submit, and just hold onto it as late as I can, just in case certain characters die or change? I would really hate to have a submission automatically discarded for any reason.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

All-New Member

I've nearly finished my entry, while reviewing the pages I noticed a few continuity errors. I'm also waiting on responses from some comic creators I know to see if there's anything they think I should change. But then I'm ready to submit. I made a short video about my work so far, hope you like it.
    https://youtu.be/MGWleht4ab0

andjhey

Just a clarification, please regarding the section referring to Artists that states, "We will accept just pencils as a submission." Does that mean, "We will (also) accept just pencils as a submission," or "We will (only) accept just pencils as a submission," Can I submit inked pages that don't fall under the pencil/ink/wash combo, or are only penciled pages accepted? In other words, can I ink my own samples?
    Many thanks!

Custom User Title

That section refers to the fact that while they would "accept just pencils as a submission" but they would then have to get someone in to finish the inks. Postal, Think Tank and the Tithe only have a single Artist credited albeit with separate Colorists, so you should not feel restricted if you want to ink your on samples.

All-Different Member backstreetboyd's Avatar

Hello all!

I've seen a few references to "paid work" that the winners of the Talent Hunt will have the opportunity to do, but I haven't found anything specifying what that will be. Will the winning script be drawn by the winning artist, or will the winners collaborate on something entirely new?

Thanks! Really excited about this :)

All-New Member

Hello everyone. Just popping in with a quick question. How much liberty do we have when using certain plot elements? For example, I am going to write for Postal and really wanted to use the Gold that Schulz has hidden in Eden as a plot point. I know nothing in the script can contradict established continuity, but if by the end the status quo is the same as when it started, is it possible to do so? Also, and this was already asked by Ryanesta above, but if something in our script conflicts with the writer's plans for a character, or plot thread down the road, will we be instantly disqualified, or will this be pointed out to us in the feedback? Thanks.

DynamiteJ

Quick question on the writing side: What is Top Cow's position on real-life historical figures? Is the Top Cow universe completely disconnected from "our" reality? Or is there a shared history...ie, did Abraham Lincoln and The Beatles (for example) exist in this world?

Quote Originally Posted by backstreetboyd View Post
    Hello all!

I've seen a few references to "paid work" that the winners of the Talent Hunt will have the opportunity to do, but I haven't found anything specifying what that will be. Will the winning script be drawn by the winning artist, or will the winners collaborate on something entirely new?

Thanks! Really excited about this
    The winning script will be published as far as I know, so don't share it online before the results are in or if you win. Writer and artist winners seem to get paired up to then do paid work. All I know from last time is that the pay is less than their regular writers/artists, which is understandable. After all, the point is to allow your career a jump start. Good luck!

All-New Member

Hello. I´m working in the submissions for the Talent hunt, but i need some reference for draw some characters of Postal, and i can´t find them. I need the reference of this characters: Carpenter, Abner, Rowan, Curtis. I´m allready download some issues of Postal from the official Top Cow, but i need these to draw the las 5 pages of postal 16.
    And i need to know if i can submitt the 5 pages in pencil or in pencil and ink?
    Thanks Guys!!!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luthorcorp View Post
    Hello. I´m working in the submissions for the Talent hunt, but i need some reference for draw some characters of Postal, and i can´t find them. I need the reference of this characters: Carpenter, Abner, Rowan, Curtis. I´m allready download some issues of Postal from the official Top Cow, but i need these to draw the las 5 pages of postal 16.
    And i need to know if i can submitt the 5 pages in pencil or in pencil and ink?
    Thanks Guys!!!
    I found all the character references as well as a few locations and a good explanation for the conflict in issue 15. I'd say that's a good place to start.

All-New Member

So concerning character design continuity for the side characters like the bartender ect. Ect who werent established before the scripts storey line do we have to follow the character designs of when they were published or do we draw our own designs based off of the script description. Would hate to be disqualified for not following character designs of side characters.

The_7th_Koyote

Default Confused

This may seem like a dumb question, however, this is the first time I've attempted to participate in something like this. I'm hoping to enter as a penciler/inker but I live in the middle of nowhere and I don't have any friends who have experience in writing scripts. So do I go off of the sample scripts provided? Try to write my own script? Or find someone who does have experience in writing scripts? Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by The_7th_Koyote View Post
    This may seem like a dumb question, however, this is the first time I've attempted to participate in something like this. I'm hoping to enter as a penciler/inker but I live in the middle of nowhere and I don't have any friends who have experience in writing scripts. So do I go off of the sample scripts provided? Try to write my own script? Or find someone who does have experience in writing scripts? Thank you for your time.
    Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but from my understanding, artists are to draw from the scripts provided for Postal issues #9 and #16

Heathen

Quote Originally Posted by dgilbertson66 View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but from my understanding, artists are to draw from the scripts provided for Postal issues #9 and #16
    This is correct. You only need to do five pages, but you are working from one of those scripts.

Spectacular Member

I'm seeing a LOT of posts from people worried about continuity - I.E., what if they draw a character based on the script but that doesn't seem to fit the preconceived character designs, what if they include something in their plot that ends up conflicting with future continuity, etc.

As for artists, if you can manage pencils and inks, I always recommend it - simply because people inking themselves is basically a modern industry trend. BUT (since I know you guys are gonna read way too much into everything I say) you should know that turning in pencils alone is fine. It's really fine. One of our main winners last year just turned in pencils. Don't stress.
    As for having your execution match up with the final execution...quality is more important. Obviously you should assess the established character design for major characters, cause that's part of any WFH gig - but if your background characters or buildings look different, that's about interpretation. We'd rather see you put your own mark down on a scene than attempt to perfectly recreate someone else's.

And writers, I know you're worried about getting disqualified for using plot elements or messing with continuity. My advice is twofold, and someone contradictory - one, consider the notion of your script as an "inventory" issue - in comics, this is a script that a company will commission and plan as a oneshot far in advance, to have prepared in case they need to throw together an emergency issue. Generally, inventory books fit within the world and established continuity, crafting a compelling story that ends up with everybody in the same place, plot-wise, but with us having perhaps seen them in a new light, or assessed some unseen depth of theirs.
    Two, and this is more important - we are far more concerned with quality of writing than content of script. Don't go off the rails, obviously, but what matters is the work. Tell the story you can tell the best.

And this is some advice for everybody - don't overthink this. Human beings are reviewing these submissions, and their chief concern is the quality of your submission, okay? If you turn in the best submission in the world, you aren't going to get knocked for weird little continuity errors. I know people love to come into this forum and panic about things like that, but the fact of the matter is that you really just need to focus and be concerned with your craft.