Spectacular Member

Default Batman Birth Of The Demon Review (Canon Read Through #36)

Batman Birth Of The Demon tells the origin story of Ra's Al Ghul. Arguably one of Batman's best villains. A lot of things are best off not being known though and prequels can often ruin the mystique of a character.

Does this suffer from it?

You can check out my full thoughts on the book at the link below.

Batman Birth Of The Demon Review

Cheers
    Check Out My Batman Canon Read Through And Review Here, From Year One all the way to Rebirth

Batman Canon Read Through And Review

I'm Also On Patreon. This all goes towards buying new graphic novels so if you like my reviews please pledge whatever you can. Thank you.

Deffinition Patreon

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

While I enjoyed Bride of the Demon just fine, very good, but I don't think I agree it bests Birth of the Demon and Son of the Demon. Son of the Demon had this unique grittiness (and an amazing artist) to it that appealed to me, sticks out in my memory of it (as opposed to Bride).

Birth of the Demon might be the winner for me given just how compelling and emotional I thought Ra's origin was. O'Neill really sold the reader a tragic and cruel origin, you could feel your blood boil at this good loving doctor having to go through so much. The story tapped into that anti-hero righteous revenge vibe, where you deep down knew Ra's had turned monster but you felt for his almost poetic "justice." Breyfogle was just the perfect artist for the story, such gorgeous paintings.

What a trilogy it was. I hope DC decides to collect in some trade Barr's Batman Annual #8 "The Messiah of the Crimson Sun"...which is another really interesting (and controversial) Barr Ra's story with amazing art by Trevor Von Eeden. Barr totally understood that pulp Bond villain aspect of Ra's and just told such epic fun stories.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-12-2017 at 01:26 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Strangely, Norm Breyfogle is my all time favorite artist, but I did not care for his painting in this book.

Spectacular Member

I think I preferred 'Bride Of' just because of how James Bond it is. I'm a huge fan of both characters so it was good to see like a hybrid story with them.
    Check Out My Batman Canon Read Through And Review Here, From Year One all the way to Rebirth

Batman Canon Read Through And Review

I'm Also On Patreon. This all goes towards buying new graphic novels so if you like my reviews please pledge whatever you can. Thank you.

Deffinition Patreon

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deffinition View Post
    I think I preferred 'Bride Of' just because of how James Bond it is. I'm a huge fan of both characters so it was good to see like a hybrid story with them.
    Yea, it might be the most Bond-ish. Son of the Demon is Bond-ish though too. Batman 330-335 The Lazarus Affair is too. Lots of Ra's stories are. So Bride doesn't get an extra bump for that from me. But I can understand your preference now.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”