Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    They should get Regina King to direct it!
    She can direct and play Lois!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    She can direct and play Lois!

Then we could see Yah Yah Abdul’s Dr. Manhattan take on Michael B Jordan’s Superman in the Ultimate Watchman Justice League crossover!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In terms of the so-called Latina Supergirl, I question how she can be Latina if she grew up on Krypton. It doesn't come across as authentic representation and seems like appropriating a culture for the sake of getting likes. Surely, for Supergirl to be Latina, she would have to have a Latin American experience--being raised in a Latin American country or being raised in the U.S.A. by a family with those roots.

So likewise for an African-American Superman. Just having the right skin colour is not enough--he would have to have the experiences of a Black man in America, for the story to have any real weight and not just appropriate the culture to win points.

That's why characters authentic to the lived experience are better for representing a culture. Superman, Supergirl, Martian Manhunter can never really embody representation--because they are posing as something they're not. Better representation comes from a Black Panther or a Vixen.

It's good that they have an open casting policy--shouldn't matter if you're British or Hawaiian or Canadian or Columbian or Kenyan--to play the part of Superman or Supergirl. It's pretend. But audiences always know when they're being sold a bill of goods. And this smells like Hollywood big-wigs trying to pull a fast one.
    T'challa of Wakanda doesn't really have anything to do with African Americans either. John Stewart though? That's a good choice. To be honest part of why John is compelling is because he's NOT an alien pretending to be Human. Or someone from a weird fictional country with an equally alien culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Probably not, and making a black Superman is something we've been hearing rumors of from WB for years. If I were a gambling man I'd put safe money on this being a black Superman.

But we're still making assumptions. It's a pretty safe bet, but that's not the same thing as it being official.

And that's assuming this even gets off the ground. WB/DC announce movies they're working on all the time, only for those films to fall apart and never happen.

Personally I find I don't really care either way. WB rarely makes DC films that I actually enjoy and they utterly fail to understand Superman (MoS was close, but Snyder and co. dropped the ball immediately) so it's not like I'd be getting excited about a new Superman film regardless of who is acting in it.

I admit, if this were rumors of an Icon film I'd have higher hopes; he's a small enough IP that WB might stay out of the production process and allow the crew to make a good film (which is the reason why Wonder Woman 1 was worth watching). But Superman? WB will micromanage that film into the grave.
    Even if the film gets made I’m expecting a massive flop or disappointment. Coates isn’t a guy whose stuff has connected with the fans. I can envision a Watchmen show or The Last Jedi scenario where the critics love it but the audience doesn’t. Especially since this is coming from a WB mandate which never, ever ends well. But really because WB has no clue why BP succeeded and they just want that money.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Even if the film gets made I’m expecting a massive flop or disappointment. Coates isn’t a guy whose stuff has connected with the fans. I can envision a Watchmen show or The Last Jedi scenario where the critics love it but the audience doesn’t. Especially since this is coming from a WB mandate which never, ever ends well. But really because WB has no clue why BP succeeded and they just want that money.
    This is gonna blow up in their face soso bad.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    This is gonna blow up in their face soso bad.
    The worst part about it is that, if it flops, WB would blame it on it being a black Superman and not on the film's weaknesses. If that happens it would be one step forward and two steps back for diversity in film.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    The worst part about it is that, if it flops, WB would blame it on it being a black Superman and not on the film's weaknesses. If that happens it would be one step forward and two steps back for diversity in film.
    Oh they will call us racists. Is there some kind of copyright problemgoing on that we don't know about?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In terms of the so-called Latina Supergirl, I question how she can be Latina if she grew up on Krypton. It doesn't come across as authentic representation and seems like appropriating a culture for the sake of getting likes. Surely, for Supergirl to be Latina, she would have to have a Latin American experience--being raised in a Latin American country or being raised in the U.S.A. by a family with those roots.

So likewise for an African-American Superman. Just having the right skin colour is not enough--he would have to have the experiences of a Black man in America, for the story to have any real weight and not just appropriate the culture to win points.

That's why characters authentic to the lived experience are better for representing a culture. Superman, Supergirl, Martian Manhunter can never really embody representation--because they are posing as something they're not. Better representation comes from a Black Panther or a Vixen.

It's good that they have an open casting policy--shouldn't matter if you're British or Hawaiian or Canadian or Columbian or Kenyan--to play the part of Superman or Supergirl. It's pretend. But audiences always know when they're being sold a bill of goods. And this smells like Hollywood big-wigs trying to pull a fast one.
    I do think it smells like Hollywood big-wigs trying to pull a fast one, but conceptually I think it can work. Yes, Supergirl is technically not Latina and a Black Superman would never technically be Black, but the same is true of current Superman. He is technically not Caucasian and wasn't born in any culture we associate with Caucasians because of his Kryptonian roots.

As for lived experience, any Superman who grew up on Earth would be treated as whatever race he looks like. A black Clark Kent who grew up in Kansas would've still been at risk of racial profiling and other examples of racism for his entire life.

Martian Manhunter is a better example of what you're referring to because he can shapeshift and his character is all about not understanding humans, but a black Clark Kent with the same Superman origin? Arguably he would be even more relatable than someone like King T'Challa is, since Superman is an everyman.

Basically my opinion as well. Of all the DCEU films I've only truly enjoyed MoS and WW, and they still have some pretty deep flaws that detract greatly from them. I liked Aquaman and Shazam well enough but they feel pretty by-the-numbers, even if they're well executed. All the rest (that I've seen, haven't gotten to WW84 yet) have left me regretting the time and money I wasted on them.

So yeah, I'm not expecting much. WB doesn't understand Superman's appeal, nor do they seem to understand why T'Challa succeeded. Seems like the film, if it even makes it to the screen, is doomed from the start. But you never know; WB saw the same kind of upheaval last summer that DC did right? With new people in charge and new operations and divisions established, we likely shouldn't put too much stock in what the old guard did, and should give the new regime a honest chance.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Basically my opinion as well. Of all the DCEU films I've only truly enjoyed MoS and WW, and they still have some pretty deep flaws that detract greatly from them. I liked Aquaman and Shazam well enough but they feel pretty by-the-numbers, even if they're well executed. All the rest (that I've seen, haven't gotten to WW84 yet) have left me regretting the time and money I wasted on them.

So yeah, I'm not expecting much. WB doesn't understand Superman's appeal, nor do they seem to understand why T'Challa succeeded. Seems like the film, if it even makes it to the screen, is doomed from the start. But you never know; WB saw the same kind of upheaval last summer that DC did right? With new people in charge and new operations and divisions established, we likely shouldn't put too much stock in what the old guard did, and should give the new regime a honest chance.
    And come March there’s going to be another round of layoffs I think. In all the excitement I had forgotten about that.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

And come March there’s going to be another round of layoffs I think. In all the excitement I had forgotten about that.
    I'm convinced someone at AT&T's favorite game is "pin the pink slip on the DC employee..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    You guys really think a Black Superman film will flop?

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I don’t! I think there is never enough Superman content!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    You guys really think a Black Superman film will flop?
    Flop? No. I don't think they've undermined Superman enough to make the movie outright flop, but I think it can under-perform. Will it? No idea, but at worst I think it'll just not hit the mark they wanted, such as what happened to BvS. By all accounts, the movie made money, but it didn't make the money everyone knew the world's first Batman/Superman crossover in live action should have. There wasn't an analyst in the business who said it should make less than a billion, but the product released in theaters was such a mess that it blew up. People like to dunk on it (and I'm one of them) for perhaps being a creative flop, but those IP are too big to do it outright currently.

That said, they have flopped before (The Quest for Peace, Batman and Robin) so it's not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Flop? No. I don't think they've undermined Superman enough to make the movie outright flop, but I think it can under-perform. Will it? No idea, but at worst I think it'll just not hit the mark they wanted, such as what happened to BvS. By all accounts, the movie made money, but it didn't make the money everyone knew the world's first Batman/Superman crossover in live action should have. There wasn't an analyst in the business who said it should make less than a billion, but the product released in theaters was such a mess that it blew up. People like to dunk on it (and I'm one of them) for perhaps being a creative flop, but those IP are too big to do it outright currently.

That said, they have flopped before (The Quest for Peace, Batman and Robin) so it's not impossible.
    I was being sarcastic, a black Superman film won't underperform.