Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Default I think it's really amazing that 'Batgirl' is now a priority for the DCEU.

I mean, who would've ever imagined that? Since the Robins are always being focused on in the comics, I would've expected a Nightwing movie to be the priority.

I'm so glad they're focusing on Barbara Gordon though--out of the entire Batfamily, I feel like she, Jason Todd, and Cassandra Cain have the most compelling & cinematic character arcs. Their movies pretty much write themselves, as stories of redemption and recovery. If Joss Whedon gets it right, I think we could be looking at a really great and emotional Batgirl movie.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Karmasaywhat View Post
    I mean, who would've ever imagined that? Since the Robins are always being focused on in the comics, I would've expected a Nightwing movie to be the priority.

I'm so glad they're focusing on Barbara Gordon though--out of the entire Batfamily, I feel like she, Jason Todd, and Cassandra Cain have the most compelling & cinematic character arcs. Their movies pretty much write themselves, as stories of redemption and recovery. If Joss Whedon gets it right, I think we could be looking at a really great and emotional Batgirl movie.
    Why suprise the next female down the line before Harley got popular is batgirl/barbra gordon

wonder woman did well strike the iron while its hot
    and they get t develop gotham/birdsof prey/and Batuniverse elements

BANNED

If I had to make a bet, I'd wager they're making it a priority because Wonder Woman has been a huge success, and 'Batgirl' is the only other female led movie they have slated that isn't with Harley/the Sirens.

I'm not looking forward to this film because I personally find that Barbara Gordon is only an interesting character as Oracle (To the point that in that role she's one of my favorites in all of DC), and I'm still torn on whether or not I want the movie to be good.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I'm not looking forward to this film because I personally find that Barbara Gordon is only an interesting character as Oracle (To the point that in that role she's one of my favorites in all of DC), and I'm still torn on whether or not I want the movie to be good.
    I definitely understand not liking the character, but can I ask why you wouldn't want the movie to be good? Its success would be good for female/niche characters in the DCEU imo.

Hopefully they'll follow suit when it comes to comics.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Why suprise the next female down the line before Harley got popular is batgirl/barbra gordon

wonder woman did well strike the iron while its hot
    and they get t develop gotham/birdsof prey/and Batuniverse elements

Well, Barbara Gordon is a character that's mostly unknown to the general public imo. When people say they know of 'Batgirl', it usually means that they assume there's a female counterpart to Batman like Supergirl is to Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Karmasaywhat View Post
    I definitely understand not liking the character, but can I ask why you wouldn't want the movie to be good? Its success would be good for female/niche characters in the DCEU imo.
    I forget who it was, but recently, someone made a point that if we really are in a progressive age of superhero movies, then it shouldn't matter if there's a bad one. If Wonder Woman had been crap, that shouldn't have meant "Okay, no more female led comic book movies." No, it'll be a progressive age of superhero movies when there's a bad female led superhero film, and then another bad one, and another bad one, etc.

That idea aside, I know its not realistic with the current higherups, but I still want to believe that if a Babsgirl movie was universally hated and panned, the comics may loosen on their idea of Babs as "the one true" or "real" Batgirl.

I hope a Whedon-led Batgirl movie is good, but the world-building for DCEU is really haphazard. How can this fit into the existing mess without being hampered by it?

It's literally getting all the press attention because it's Whedon's transition for DC + another female superhero. I honestly don't think Batgirl such a big top priority for DCEU.

Whedon was a big get, but once I saw wonder Woman review and box office it was pretty clear that Batgirl would get pushed up and be a big priority. Hopefully they can pull it off.

After Wonder Woman, and I suppose Harley now, Batgirl is DC's 3rd biggest female solo character. So I don't think it is that much of a surprise. Sure, Whedon's name attached gives it a lot more press, but I think the value the property quite a bit still. Probably even more so after Wonder Woman's success.

I'm more surprised someone honestly expected a Nightwing movie over a Batgirl movie. Nightwing has never really gotten that kind of push in other media, even compared to Batgirl. I still don't believe his solo Nightwing movie will actually happen. Robin has gotten a lot of media exposure sure, but after the terribly received Batman and Robin movie the Robin identity has not been looked at favorably in live action for DC/WB. The Nolan movies continued it when Bale said he would quit if they ever introduced a Robin and they are basically skipping over Robin in the new DC movies already having a Robin be killed off in the universe.

I think Batgirl is primarily happening because Whedon wanting to do her. If it weren't for him, I doubt she'd see the time of day. I think this movie could introduce other DC mainstays like Dinah, Helena, and maybe even Dick

In fact, I think a potential sequel could function as a Birds of Prey movie
    Last edited by The Kid; 06-12-2017 at 05:49 PM.

I love it whenever DC goes big with their leading ladies, whether it be in TV shows (Supergirl), movies (Wonder Woman), Web-series (Vixen, DC Super Hero Girls) and beyond .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I love it whenever DC goes big with their leading ladies, whether it be in TV shows (Supergirl), movies (Wonder Woman), Web-series (Vixen, DC Super Hero Girls) and beyond .
    Hopefully we can add Gotham City Sirens to that list. Altho I hope Ayer isn't involved. But this movie is an easy decision. Harley is one of the most popular female characters in the world. Selina is also famous and well-liked. And Ivy is one of those characters that although under-utilized in comics often, I could see her popularity blowing up with a good movie. She adapts very well to outside media imo

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I forget who it was, but recently, someone made a point that if we really are in a progressive age of superhero movies, then it shouldn't matter if there's a bad one. If Wonder Woman had been crap, that shouldn't have meant "Okay, no more female led comic book movies." No, it'll be a progressive age of superhero movies when there's a bad female led superhero film, and then another bad one, and another bad one, etc.

That idea aside, I know its not realistic with the current higherups, but I still want to believe that if a Babsgirl movie was universally hated and panned, the comics may loosen on their idea of Babs as "the one true" or "real" Batgirl.
    Yeah, I hope it fails. Barbara Gordon is pretty much ruining Batgirl at this point and the film would only make it worse. Then again I also want Justice League to fail to meet expectations just to kill that direction for the DCEU, and I want the entirety of the CW-verse and the animated DC films to fail eventually, so it's nothing special.