All-New Member

Default difference batman, detective comics, all star batman

hey can somebody explain where the difference between them is? do the participate at the same time and universe?

BANNED

Yes, all three books are in main DCU, but you don't need to read all three to understand the others.( I personally only read 'Tec.) Apart from a crossover that occurred, the books mostly keep to their own plotlines. (All-Star was not in the crossover BTW)

Batman is a more introspective look at Batman, the focus firmly on him.

Detective Comics features Batman and Batwoman leading a team of other members of the Batfamily, including Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, and new addition, Clayface.

All-Star Batman is a bigger, slightly more expensive book that focuses on Batman's relationship with his different villains. This is also where recent addition to the BatFamily Duke Thomas has been getting back-up stories.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Good potted summary. I'd also say that Batman tends to be very introspective, with sudden bursts of bruality and tragedy. Detective Comics feels like a very summer blockbuster popcorn movie, and All-Star Batman is experimental but also really large scale action.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Good potted summary. I'd also say that Batman tends to be very introspective, with sudden bursts of bruality and tragedy. Detective Comics feels like a very summer blockbuster popcorn movie, and All-Star Batman is experimental but also really large scale action.
    Interesting. It used to be the other way around. BATMAN was the popcorn blockbuster and DETECTIVE was the more introspective series.

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    Interesting. It used to be the other way around. BATMAN was the popcorn blockbuster and DETECTIVE was the more introspective series.
    Not really. From the start, Batman was raising questions about mortality and legacy; it just didn't bring them upfront, as it had big action setpieces on the surface. Detective Comics had always laid its cards on the table. Characters expressed their feelings openly and told readers everything they needed to know.

i don't think I.A.D.C said anything that wasn't true, it's all dependent on what era you're looking at. he's spot-on if one were to have jumped on batman during the grant morrison craze but also picked up detective for dini's take.