Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Babs is my favorite Batgirl so I'm very excited about this. But at the same time I'm very worried that they will change the character and stray from the source material. Please just make her a redheaded librarian in her early 20s. I don't want to see her be Batman's love interest or have them change her ethnicity. Just stick to the source material!

I don't want Killing Joke stuff involved. I want a light hearted Batgirl movie. Just not have any romance in the movie (probs just hint that she has Dick Grayson as a bf who doesn't make an appearance)

I mean if Batman is grim, why make Batgirl grim?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Perhaps but Nolan gave him a massive boost and now he's almost as crucial as Alfred, if not more so. That would have catapulted Babs back into the lead. I'm sure Babsgirl would have appeared on The Batman even if Steph had been Batgirl then. Also, Gail Simone always wanted to install Barbara back into her "rightful spot". Simone was to Babs what Johns was to Hal.
    Gordon is actually Bruce oldes support charcter, who appeared allready in the first batman story and predated even Robin.

And it was proably allready Year One and the stories that were based on ot that cemented his status.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The most I can see Bruce being involved is maybe a nod to his training her after her debut and meeting each other in public or by chance on patrol.
    I think that works. The mentor/student relationship is all that should be stressed. Hope Geoff doesn't allow him to do something stupid like Bruce/Nat in this movie
    Last edited by The Kid; 06-14-2017 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    LoL, its the same thing every Batgirl thread around here.
    it's never gonna end.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    And I disagree. I think the stigma of the Batman and Robin movies still casts a cloud over the Robin identity and DC is scared to do Robin again properly in live action because of it. It is why they felt so comfortable skipping all the Robin stuff in the DCEU right now. Dick's origin, Dick leaving, Jason's origin, and Jason's death have all been rushed over rather than get proper movies because they are nervous to do Robin again. These are the thing that should have gotten proper movies in this universe given their impact. Plus Batman has been doing so well without Robin in movie sales that I think they are scared to disrupt it too.

I think most know Dick Grayson as Robin. That was one of the reasons Johns voted against killing Dick in IC because he felt that even people's grandmother's know Dick Grayson. Of course I don't think he is widely known to the level of a Bruce or Clark, but I don't think he is that far behind a Diana in terms of people knowing real names.
    Tbh I just think the entire concept of Robin doesn't translate well to live action. The fact that there have been 5 very well-liked Batman live action movies with no Robin in sight has just lend credence to that. Because of his legacy, he still plays a big role in the comics but that doesn't mean anything for movies. Robin was created so that kids had someone to look into when they read comics back in the day. You don't really need that when you make a movie. That's why I don't think there will ever be Batman and Robin in the films. Only Damian could really work because of how he was specially trained since birth to fight. Otherwise, a kid sidekick just defies suspension of belief. Even the MCU made Bucky an adult peer of Cap

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    These grapes may be sour, but the only reason they never had a "snowball's chance in Hell" is because of DC's absolute refusal to acknowledge the others in outside media so that everyone will pray at the First Church of Barabra. Jason's no where near as well known as Dick, but people still seem pretty sure Red Hood is gonna show up at some point, and that's because of the mass popularity he received thanks to an animated film. If Cass and Steph had ever been included in an animated film or series, they would have been in the exact same position.
    While I'm not a fan of Jason by any means, he has at least one single great story that heavily features an emotional conflict with Bruce and the friggin' Joker. Cass and Steph don't have anything like that. The only major story Steph has to her name is something that the majority of us would rather forget.

They don't acknowledge the other Batgirls because there really isn't a need to do so. Why fix was isn't broken and dilute the brand? Now they could push Cass and Steph as Orphan and Spoiler respectively, though I suspect there is still a group that wouldn't be satisfied with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You think these are sour grapes you weren't around for the bashing Cass got while she was Batgirl. And unlike with Babs, Cass being Batgirl didn't stop Babs from appearing in comics or related media.
    I'll have to take your word for it. I wasn't around at that point, but since the internet even then wasn't what it is now, I'm kind of skeptical of the flame wars on either side being compared to what they are now.

Most of Barbara's significant media pushes (B:TAS being the big one) happened long before it occurred to anybody that there would ever be another Batgirl. Now that

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Cass is the daughter of two characters that have been primarily associated with Batman. She was mentored by the former Batgirl and wears the Bat symbol. Terry friggin McGinnis got a tv show based on less. He wasn't even from the comics.
    Cain is only associated with Bruce because of his connection to Cass. He means absolutely nothing to Bruce or his story otherwise. Shiva only has a handful of interactions with the Bat-Verse, and certainly isn't an important feature in it. Both don't come anywhere close to Gordon. I think even Cluemaster has more going for him if only because he's constantly compared to the Riddler, a long time significant figure in the Bat-mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    While I'm not a fan of Jason by any means, he has at least one single great story that heavily features an emotional conflict with Bruce and the friggin' Joker. Cass and Steph don't have anything like that. The only major story Steph has to her name is something that the majority of us would rather forget.
    Unless you count her entire Batgirl run as a "major story."

BANNED

Yeah, I actually have several ideas for how film could be adapted, mostly based arpund the Puckett run, with some elements taken from the others.

And as for just being IN a story, she made her debut in what I believe to be the best Batman story, No Man's Land, an adaptation of which has been pitched multiple times, and the concept art is great.

Oh, and side note: I don't actually think the storyline UTRH was based off of was all that great in the comics.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I guess you could, but especially when it comes to DC, it seems to be shorter continuity light stories or mini-series that tend to stand out the most and have the most impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Oh, and side note: I don't actually think the storyline UTRH was based off of was all that great in the comics.
    I honestly don't get what the fuss is about either, but a lot of people do considering Red Hood's popularity.

BANNED

You don`t have to think it`s great (which it is ) fact is, it`s hella adaptable even with different endings for Jason (Last Crusade/Arkham Knight/Return of The Joker) and Joker, which makes it rich. It has all the emotional, character and action bits that fits into the tapestry of anything Nolan has done with the franchise or the current "dark tones) direction. Not to mention, DITF/UTRH and the three other stories can directly link easily to the story WB and directors have always been in love the most: Dark Knight Returns.

By the way, I`m not sure I agree with "5 well liked movies without Robin`s legacy". By the second movie in Burtun`s time, studio was asking a Robin and Burton`s early drafts for a possible third offering had his participations if I recall (tho it might be Hollywood Jumbo but I believe the early draft of Forever was his) and Nolan`s triology doesn`t end with Batman. It ends with a newcomer who helps Batman and Gordon save Gotham and steps up in taking his place.

Yeah, Batman and Robin was a dud but Batman Forever wasn`t.

So, surely enough WB won`t have a child doing that role but a young adult/partner? No problem. I`m actually thinking the major reason they haven`t fully committed to it, outside of Batman and the classic set selling well on their own is two fold: One, they don`t want to make Batman too old since most start with a origin retelling every 3 movies. Currently it`s less a issue because they already set a dfferent chronology on the go. Second, "dinamic duo" to this day is still ambigious to the general audience.

But hey, we know Jason existed, we know his demisse changed Bruce until he met the Leaguers and we know he was "Robin" both for his tunic and alias call in Suicide Squad.

BANNED

Coincidentally enough, there`s a recurrent theory that Jason may already be Red Hood by the time BvsS happens and none of Batman`s dialogue would even be required to change in tone for it. There`s a scene which was also in the trailers of Bruce unwrapping a newspaper`s page about the fall of Wayne`s Tower where it`s written in red "You let your family die". Present tense.

Most naturally assume is Joker mocking Batman, which is the logical first reaction especially with the death of his partner being revisited by the older Bruce but it could equally mean someone keeping an eye on matters and challenging Bruce to take some sort of...offense on the current stakes. A very Red Hood Batman push-pull dinamic if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Tbh I just think the entire concept of Robin doesn't translate well to live action. The fact that there have been 5 very well-liked Batman live action movies with no Robin in sight has just lend credence to that. Because of his legacy, he still plays a big role in the comics but that doesn't mean anything for movies. Robin was created so that kids had someone to look into when they read comics back in the day. You don't really need that when you make a movie. That's why I don't think there will ever be Batman and Robin in the films. Only Damian could really work because of how he was specially trained since birth to fight. Otherwise, a kid sidekick just defies suspension of belief. Even the MCU made Bucky an adult peer of Cap
    tbf, I assume that if they were to put Robin on film, it would be an adult version. Thats what they did with Bucky Barnes, tv's Wally West and Roy Harper, (as well as Chris O'Donnel's Dick Grayson.) Something like Arkhamverse Tim Drake or Injustice Damian Wayne would work just fine. Lone wolf Batman is definitely easier to do though and what a lot of people prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

They don't acknowledge the other Batgirls because there really isn't a need to do so. Why fix was isn't broken and dilute the brand? Now they could push Cass and Steph as Orphan and Spoiler respectively, though I suspect there is still a group that wouldn't be satisfied with that.

I'll have to take your word for it. I wasn't around at that point, but since the internet even then wasn't what it is now, I'm kind of skeptical of the flame wars on either side being compared to what they are now.

Most of Barbara's significant media pushes (B:TAS being the big one) happened long before it occurred to anybody that there would ever be another Batgirl. Now that

Cain is only associated with Bruce because of his connection to Cass. He means absolutely nothing to Bruce or his story otherwise. Shiva only has a handful of interactions with the Bat-Verse, and certainly isn't an important feature in it. Both don't come anywhere close to Gordon. I think even Cluemaster has more going for him if only because he's constantly compared to the Riddler, a long time significant figure in the Bat-mythos.
    Again mentored by the former Batgirl. And it's still more than Terry had

I think judging by Jason's charred suit, I would firmly put him in the young adult category. That looks like an older Robin suit.

Jason's Red Hood storyline would be super easy to adapt. It's pretty much a guideline for a movie and they can change bits around and insert things if they want to suit a certain vision. They could even go with the Arkham Knight route of Jason's death if they don't want to deal with lazarus pit stuff yet. But the emotional beats of Under the Red Hood could easily make for a good movie.