Default Who should be on the Birds of Prey?

I saw controversy at the start of rebirth that new 52 Helena was going to be on the Rebirth BatBop book as some argue she is not integral to the team. I have also seen arguments that the birds of prey should always remain a small team with only women and just street level heroes with no/little powers. Do you agree on this and what would your BoP team be?

Personally I like there being the core three+ regular guest stars such as Nightwing, Spoiler, Cass and Misfit as they have ties to the characters. I like to avoid characters like Vixen on the team due to their powers but don't mind black canary.
    "You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

"Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown

BANNED

Oracle, Dinah, Helena, Zinda, Onyx Adams and Charlie would be the main 6 in my mind, with Cass and/or Steph popping in from time to time. (Maybe every two arcs?) I'd also have Babs have agents that are necessarily part of the team, but she can call upon for assistance in a certain situation. Birds have gotten themselves wrapped up in something really big? Call Barda. Birds dealing with an underwater threat? Call Mera. Etc.

Oh, and I just saw this somewhat relevant tweet, and I'm gonna leave it here: https://twitter.com/TheJulieBenson/s...06439305519104

Ultimate Member

Oracle, Dinah, Helena, Zinda, Selina, and Katana would be my core team, with other female characters showing up/guest-starring as needed.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

To me, it's Oracle, Dinah, and Helena, because that's the team I fell in love with. But I think Zinda and Charlie at least are core characters. I do think that the Birds must be a female team - they have friends, allies, and sometimes operatives that are men, but it's a team of women, and should stay that way.

I'm a bit worried, because the Bensons hinted in their latest interview that the team was going to have some people leaving...and I just want to scream "no no no" because the last time that happened, it wasn't good.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Barbara, Dinah and Helena as the main. The only ones I'd add are Zinda and Charlie.

If they add anyone else it becomes too crowded and this team's origins is based on a friendship between Babs and Dinah, so adding so many others for the sake of it is kind of making a thing too crowded and then you get New 52 BoP. You really can't mess with the classic BoP because the formula is the character themselves. It's sort of like Gotham City Sirens, you know who they are based on the title.

I think Babs, Dinah, and Helena are the core of the group that should always be in there, Zinda too to a lesser degree.

Past that I think you can fit in just a few other female heroes who fit the tone and style of the book or the story being told.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Zinda is the only other character I would want added to the team.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Babs (as either Batgirl or Oracle), Dinah, Helena and Zinda.

I want Zinda back, but where IS Zinda? What happened to her?

BANNED

Credit where it's due to Ms. Simone. We all know her first run on BoP is the best (Sorry Dixon fans, you're the minority on this one ), but she did an incredible job of drilling the idea of the trinity of Babs, Dinah, and Helena into people's minds. The book was just Babs and Dinah for a MUCH longer time than when it was the three of them, as setting aside where she was part of the team briefly,before the ongoing started, in Simone's run, Helena was only around for 20 issues before Zinda showed up, and pretty much got equal ground with the others.

Charlie is a favorite of mine, Babs as Oracle aside, she's my favorite of any of these characters, and at the very least, she showed up and was created specifically for the team, before the mass recruitment happened. Even so, I can still see people saying she isn't "necessary." Zinda though? Even if Helena wasn't active on the team for some of it, it was still the 4 of them in the book for as long as it had just been the three, so in my mind, Zinda's as much of a core member as Helena.
    Last edited by Assam; 06-13-2017 at 06:47 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    I want Zinda back, but where IS Zinda? What happened to her?
    Someone hasn't been looking at the previews for Dark Days.

She's back in them, seemingly, and many of us are praying they don't screw her up.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Someone hasn't been looking at the previews for Dark Days.

She's back in them, seemingly, and many of us are praying they don't screw her up.
    I tend to avoid Snyder like the plague, but gee thats the first good thing I've heard about Dark Days. Thanks for the heads up!

Black Canary, Lady Blackhawk, Red Robin, Hawkgirl, Hawkman, Hawk, Dove, Raven, Wingman

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Credit where it's due to Ms. Simone. We all know her first run on BoP is the best (Sorry Dixon fans, you're the minority on this one ), but she did an incredible job of drilling the idea of the trinity of Babs, Dinah, and Helena into people's minds. The book was just Babs and Dinah for a MUCH longer time than when it was the three of them, as setting aside where she was part of the team briefly,before the ongoing started, in Simone's run, Helena was only around for 20 issues before Zinda showed up, and pretty much got equal ground with the others.

Charlie is a favorite of mine, Babs as Oracle aside, she's my favorite of any of these characters, and at the very least, she showed up and was created specifically for the team, before the mass recruitment happened. Even so, I can still see people saying she isn't "necessary." Zinda though? Even if Helena wasn't active on the team for some of it, it was still the 4 of them in the book for as long as it had just been the three, so in my mind, Zinda's as much of a core member as Helena.
    I'm a huge Dixon fan, but Simone's Birds of Prey is actually one of my very first comic loves. And it is the best.

I actually would disagree - Zinda was structurally not one the same level as Helena - she was the driver, and even though she got a nice intro story arc, she never got any real development or personal victory arcs, just a one shot here or there. McKeever (my third favorite on the book's first run) wrote Zinda mostly as Dinah lite, which was nice, but it was pretty clear that Dinah would have fit that spot a lot better than Zinda. I guess he did give Zinda her Shark arc, but that kinda sprang out of nowhere in terms of the series, and didn't lead anywhere either, because McKeever left so soon.

Charlie, though. I adore Charlie.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord