Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    ...I might be in the minority but I am liking the stuff at the moment. Not everything but most things.
    No you are not alone. I too am quite ok with the most recent run. Apart the events that I tend to ignore unless they truly have some consequences.
    For the rest my view of the whole thing could be summed "i read what i like, ignore what i don't chuckle and dismiss people on the net, don't get too attached to past" i' m way to happier since i started doing that

I really don't feel one way or the other, and that's the problem. I read them but I wouldn't say I'm invested. Uncanny Avengers is the only so-called X-Book I care anything about.

The current state of the books is such that the only stories worth making into movies, the whole reason why Disney bought marvel, are 30-40 years old. They will reboot the XCU twice before they adapt IvX, for example. Need to pay better, loosen constraints, something to energize the good writers they have left.

BANNED

It's okay. Better than the last two relaunches.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    I would be interested to know where everyone would reset the franchise to, if given the option.
    15 years (in-universe) after the end of "Eve of Destruction" (the last pre-Morrison story).

Scott and Jean, still happily married, run the Xavier Institute. Jean has by and large taken over Xavier's role as headmaster while Scott, long retired from active combat, trains cadet X-Men. Storm, mostly retired from the field herself, commands the X-Men of which there are multiple teams now. Rogue is a field leader as are Kitty, Dani, and Sam.

Xavier, meanwhile, has become reclusive, having devoted the intervening years to his mutant underground. While still technically based in Salem Center, he's only there rarely, always unannounced and only briefly. He's taken his clandestine efforts global, building a network of like-minded allies with positions in governments, corporations, and NGOs around the world. In this, he is aided by his top two lieutenants, Sage and Wisdom, as well as scattered individual operatives available on-call. Emma recruits and trains new, young operatives for Xavier at the Massachusetts Academy.

Under Magneto's rule, Genosha has been an internationally recognized nation-state for over 15 years. In that time, it has weathered multiple foreign policy crises and near-wars, including with the U.S. But, internally, it's a fractious, conflict-prone country. The economy is mediocre, and a caste system among mutants has developed. Those with powerful abilities and who appear baseline human are on top; those with minor or less useful abilities and/or who appear less humanoid are on bottom. Inside the government, it's full metal Game of Thrones as different factions plot and scheme against each other. Crippled by Wolverine, Magneto is a sullen, disillusioned recluse who has found ruling to be far more unfulfilling than conquering.

Upon Moira's death, Rahne inherited Muir Island. After a couple of years, she deeded it to the Institute as a retreat. Over the years, it's become a safe haven, almost a colony, for mutants who, for whatever reason, can't or don't want to try to live in the world. Mutant refugees from all over have gathered there, forming a community.

Amidst all this, Scott and Jean's oldest child, Rachel (actually their daughter, born in this timeline), has turned 14, and her powers are starting to emerge. Out in the world, new mutant factions are forming, new iterations of Sentinel technology are being developed, and mutants are as politically controversial as ever. The next generation is coming of age...

I would say Uncanny Avengers is the best written "x-book" of the past year or so. Zub's first issue was pretty solid so I don't see that changing. The other books are just ok.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

The biggest issue is, Marvel is more concerned with making headlines and keeping their logo in front of people increasing their brand recognition. This is achieved best by chasing SJW tropes, and churning out titles that may or may not get attention, rather than appeasing their fans. That may help the Marvel brand as a whole in the long run, but it hurts Marvel Comics by eviscerating their once loyal fanship. I think DC will get there too. As their movies get more attention and success, Warner Bros will undoubtedly want the books to push the subject matter within the movies more, whether if its through the story or just character designs. Already started following BvS and the CW shows, mind you, not as egregious as Marvel has done.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Why is Uncanny Avengers even somewhat considered an X-Men book? Esp with this new lineup. Because Rogue is it, because of "Uncanny"? Give me a break.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    It's okay. Better than the last two relaunches.
    Agreed. Just kind of...okay. But better than what we had before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Agreed. Just kind of...okay. But better than what we had before.
    Better than EXM/ANXM, yeah, but I think I actually preferred more of the Schism-era stuff. The three flagships were entirely not my bag, but the Magneto solo, Astonishing and then Amazing, the Tyke solo were all good reads. Even the Storm solo wasn't *bad*, just kinda there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Why is Uncanny Avengers even somewhat considered an X-Men book? Esp with this new lineup. Because Rogue is it, because of "Uncanny"? Give me a break.
    Rogue is there. That's enough.