View Poll Results: Will you be buying PP:SSM #1?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell Yes!

28 65.12%
  • Nah, not interested

3 6.98%
  • Gonna wait and see

12 27.91%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Will you be buying Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-Man #1?

There seemed to be a lot of excitement when this title was first announced back in February, along with the promise that it would be a more "street-level" title for Spidey recalling for many the glory days of the first volume of the PP:SSM book. But, since then, as solicits have started to appear, enthusiasm seems to have waned (or maybe it's just me) as the title is starting to resemble another Marvel Team-Up or Avenging Spider-Man title with immediate guest appearances by other Marvel heroes. I guess I envisioned this as more of a solo Spidey book keeping him in NYC and dealing with threats on his own. Again, maybe it's just me that is less enthused.....so the question is: will you be buying #1 and how do you feel about the book as opposed to 4 months ago when it was first announced?

Spectacular Member

I am on the fence about buying it, and that opinion has not really changed.

Well, I'm not really a fan of the main title right now, or of RYV, so buying #1 for certain.

Its a secondary Spider-title (may feel to some that it doesn't count), and Zdarsky's sense of humour isn't for everyone, but I do expect to like it and am open to trying another MTU-type title. If that is the case, I really don't see it making the same mistakes as Avenging SM did.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

Depends on the preview and if I get good Spidey vibes from it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well, I'm not really a fan of the main title right now, or of RYV, so buying #1 for certain.

Its a secondary Spider-title, and Zdarsky's sense of humour isn't for everyone, but I do expect to like it and am open to another MTU-type title.
    What's wrong with RYV for you?

BANNED

If what we get with a potential resurgence in Peter/MJ interaction is catty banter, that won't be good for the long-term, and I agree that the emphasis on team-ups, notably heroes beating or even berating Peter as Natasha and Riri may be doing, will get old fast.

Still holding out hope that Chip won't be using this book to take the piss out of the character, but I'm not expecting anything too mature either. Marvel are not in the buisness of making their core characters that way right now outside of AUs

BANNED

I'm on board and hoping it follows the first version from the 70's and is a companion in-continuity book with ASM. Hoping the first couple "team-up" issues are simply Secret Empire related filler issues to avoid revealing anything from that "event"

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownEntity View Post
    What's wrong with RYV for you?
    Mainly its the premise. I don't like how young Annie is and how Peter and MJ are ok with the family all teaming up to be heroes together. To me, thats too dangerous for someone Annie's age and allowing that is not consistent with Peter's character. Or MJ's character. In the Secret Wars series, they were forced into it by circumstances and it was clear that the whole thing was a one-time event.

Honestly it feels like one of those Spielberg child-centric films. You know, one of the bad ones where the kids are annoying.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Mainly its the premise. I don't like how young Annie is and how Peter and MJ are ok with the family all teaming up to be heroes together. To me, thats too dangerous for someone Annie's age and allowing that is not consistent with Peter's character. Or MJ's character. In the Secret Wars series, they were forced into it by circumstances and it was clear that the whole thing was a one-time event.

Honestly it feels like one of those Spielberg child-centric films. You know, one of the bad ones where the kids are annoying.
    I get it. I had it and still on some level have it. But to me at the same time it gives off an Incredibles vibe. Because the them of being a spider crime fighting family, I know that death nor serious harm will befall them. I would be more comfortable if at least Annie was made into a supporting role and not fight alongside Peter in the frontlines. Like keeping at a distance and web shooting and stuff. If they have to bring her along which as the theme of the book dictactes, she will. As for MJ, I don't see the fundamental need for her to be a superhero but at the same time it solves one major problem with her, complaining and waiting by the window. The fact that she shares powers with Peter is a literal reference to their rock solid marriage wherein they share everything, even burdens of superheroing and spider powers. By bringing her into the fold, we see them more unified and of one mind so that the age old complaints they experienced throughout their marriage don't get rehashed.

I'm definitely going to check out the first issue.

I love RYV, but haven't really been grabbed by ASM lately.

I'm in..I loved Chip on Howard The Duck and Star-Lord....And, I love Spidey, so...

I'm checking it out. If the first ish is okay I might hang around for at least an arc before making my final decision.
    I hope it has an interesting plot and isn't a stealth team up series.
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

I hated the FCBD story so It's a wait and see.
    We need better comics

I'm getting it for sure. Chip Zdarsky's one of my favourite writers now and getting to see more expanded Spidey is always a good thing for me!

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I hated the FCBD story so It's a wait and see.
    Yeah, I'm still not sure whether I should skip it, so for now, I'm going to wait and see. The FCBD issue gave me no confidence that Zdarsky will treat Peter with anywhere near the respect he deserves.