Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spider-Man: Homecoming seems to be part of a trilogy

According to Tom Holland, Spider-Man: Homecoming appears to be the beginning of an MCU trilogy.

Do you guys think it's a good approach for Marvel/ Sony to take, presumably seeding material for later films? Or would another strategy be better?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I think the plan was always to develop more Spider-Man movies and see Holland progress in the role and watch Peter develop into the hero. I wouldn't even be surprised if there are plans beyond a trilogy, to cover Peter's college years.

I'm just wondering how they might close out a new trilogy given Sony's using Venom and they seem to be steering away from Ock and the Goblins, who are the only major threats I could see convincingly capping off a Spider-Man trilogy. Unless they go for the Sinister Six (before Sony calls dibs).

I'm also curious what sequel teases there might be in Homecoming.

It's not surprising. I think Sony wants to take as much advantage of their new Spider-Man film series ties to the MCU as they possibly can.

A trilogy would be nice if for no other reason it's been said the Sony and Marvel deal is for this film, the sequel, and the two Avengers films so if there is a trilogy they build up to it's worth it for both parties then to play nice.

Aren't all superhero movies of today part of more movies? At least one or two sequels are pretty much guaranteed.

Incredible Member

I think it was said that the MCU Spider Man movies would follow the Harry Potter format wherein the first movie would be a sophomore, the second a junior and the third a senior. I'd rather Peter be in college by the third film.

The problem with this format is that the MCU works in real time. Peter was 15 in Civil War and therefore a sophomore most likely. Now in Homecoming, one year has passed so he's probably sixteen, which means he's probably now a junior. By the time the next film comes out in 2019, two years will have passed and he will be 18 or 19 and by that age most people are graduating or have just graduated high school.

Tom Holland himself 21 years old at the moment.

"Feige had stated that if additional films were made, an early idea Marvel had for them was to follow the model of the Harry Potter film series, having the plot of each film cover a new school year the first sequel is intended to follow Parker's junior year of high school, with a potential third film being set during his senior year."

I'm cool with his trilogy being the high school trilogy but i'm curious how they would pull it off. I feel they might fudge the real time aspect a little and have his solos take place before his team ups so he probably would have graduated by the time Infinity War starts.

I think Kraven or chameleon might be the 3rd movie villians. i think they are step brothers in canon and chameleon has ties to his parent's killer plus he was one of the first villians pete faced (according to wikipedia) so it feels right to me.

The idea of a trilogy sounds good. I'd like it if they're somewhat standalone and not too closely tied with the larger MCU, like how the Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor trilogies intersect with the Avengers movies. Maybe a little like how the Guardians of the Galaxy movies are; part of the world, but advancing their own story.

I also hope the MCU Spider-Man series is like the Raimi trilogy, in terms of the movies carrying over story arcs (thus fitting together as a whole instead of being just serial adventures) and keeping a stable cast; having the same characters appear throughout the series was one of the things that made it enjoyable.

I think Homecoming is the beginning of the high school trilogy. Maybe it will be succeeded by the college trilogy and then the... start-up trilogy. And then the marriage trilogy perhaps?

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

So essentially they gave us a 15 year old Parker, like Ultimate Spider-Man?

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I think Homecoming is the beginning of the high school trilogy. Maybe it will be succeeded by the college trilogy and then the... start-up trilogy. And then the marriage trilogy perhaps?
    Maybe a quadology for college given its four years?

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

That's actually awesome, if Holland doesn't mind making 10+ Spider-Man movies. It would be great to see Peter graduate high school and college, make a start up and become a successful entrepreneur, and then get married. Perhaps the finale could begin with Peter's daughter being born, setting him up for his greatest responsibility?

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It's not surprising. I think Sony wants to take as much advantage of their new Spider-Man film series ties to the MCU as they possibly can.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Aren't all superhero movies of today part of more movies? At least one or two sequels are pretty much guaranteed.
    Seems to be the trend I agree.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe does seem to have real-time, so it's unlikely to go that slow.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    That's actually awesome, if Holland doesn't mind making 10+ Spider-Man movies. It would be great to see Peter graduate high school and college, make a start up and become a successful entrepreneur, and then get married. Perhaps the finale could begin with Peter's daughter being born, setting him up for his greatest responsibility?
    Or start working at the Bugle, which they talked about being something they'll only address later-on when Peter's at a more sensible age to work there.