Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post

Frank said there was something revealed about the story in here other than that Superman seems a bit bothered by something. Any guesses? Any Watchmen experts know if these mirror any images from that?
    He's mumbling in his sleep:

"No! Bruce! We can never truly be together!"
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Well, I don't know about something being revealed story-wise, but I found the panel that I'm pretty certain is supposed to mirror it (it being the leftmost image in what Frank showed):

Watchmen Hell and Damnation.jpg

About the same angle shot of him on the bed, with the shoes to his right on the floor and his glasses on a book on his nightstand. Their positions are themselves reversed, both physically and in their situation (one's desperately hard-up, the other is sleeping with his wife), which fits given this is from the "Fearful Symmetry" issue of Watchmen where each panel reflects the equivalent panel on the opposite end of the book.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 06-15-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    Buh-bye

Which character is that?
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

That would be Dan Dreiberg aka Nite Owl.

I've drawn concoctions to Dreiberg being emasculated/overshadowed by the very idea of Manhattan to the classic Clark/Superman dynamic. I wonder Johns is somewhat going to that well. There's something to be said about the relative nature of this situation. Manhattan is to Superman what Superman is to Clark in the sense of power. Watchmen shows Dreiberg "winning" when he overcomes his impotence and Manhattan moves on due to not having a place in the world anymore. I wonder if Johns is going for a similar dynamic when he says "there won't be a fight?"

Dreiberg wins a personal victory rather than a cosmic one, but as Manhattan points out to Silk Specter, that's all that really matter (I'm paraphrasing). This idea may be at the heart of why Manhattan decided to specifically tamper with the personal conceptions of our heroes.

So, with a shameless plug to my personal theory in the Action Comics September 2017 Solicits thread, maybe Clark's "victory" over Manhattan will come from him saving the soul of his son/family and all the rest of the families in the DCU?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I wouldn't be surprised if that panel Frank showed on his Twitter is a Watchmen homage. Given the source material and nature of the story, there are bound to be loads of Watchmen homages. The symmetry of the panel is very similar to the one in Watchmen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    It reveals the secret ending to issue #1. Look closely at Lois...where is her head? Now look closely at Clark, where is his elbow? When he has a bad dream and his arm jerks, her head is going through the floor!

Oh yeah. Spoilers, whoops! Lol
    Man of Steel, Neck of Kleenex (R.I.P. Zod)

Incredible Member

^ You mean hairy?... Actually yeah, I kinda miss that, too.

Yeah, I'm sorry but Superman does not manscape.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Kind of agree on the chest hair even though my chest is pretty hairless. Kind of like non conventially actractive Clark.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    ^ You mean hairy?... Actually yeah, I kinda miss that, too.
    Yup, hairy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yeah, I'm sorry but Superman does not manscape.
    Agreed - I don't mind it getting scorched, like it did in Engine City, but it grows back afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Kind of agree on the chest hair even though my chest is pretty hairless. Kind of like non conventially actractive Clark.
    They got that right in Man of Steel and Batman v Superman.

And those strands of hair poking up from the collar of his suit - I know it irritated some folk but I just felt that it worked (it was barely noticeable but it was there).