Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Captain Marvel, #5

"Captain Marvel" #5provides a revelation for the interest in Torfa and gives Carol Danvers renewed interest in fighting the bullies in this Kelly Sue DeConnick-written, David Lopez-drawn issue.

Full review here.

Somebody slap a contract on Lopez or something. I want him and Loughridge on art for the rest of Kelly's run.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I was not quite as thrilled with this issue. I dont know if it was a printing error or if it was a coloring decision but there was an overwhelming yellow cast to everything. Made me not even want to finish reading the story. :/

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I was not quite as thrilled with this issue. I dont know if it was a printing error or if it was a coloring decision but there was an overwhelming yellow cast to everything. Made me not even want to finish reading the story. :/
    The yellow is the atmosphere of Torfa. It makes the planet look more sickly and alien.

I just dropped this series... I thought it was going to be full of action packed space drama and fun but it just turned into some silly GotG side story dealing with the spartax and all that instead of a fun Carol independent story... Barely any plot progression and just not gripping for me as a reader. I had high hopes but... sadly... dropped.

This issue was certainly not the strongest -- specifically because of the minimalist use of Carol (imho) but I'm eager to see where the next issue takes her. I have to agree I want more action, though I still very much appreciate the drama and the entertaining new cast of characters.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    I just dropped this series... I thought it was going to be full of action packed space drama and fun but it just turned into some silly GotG side story dealing with the spartax and all that instead of a fun Carol independent story... Barely any plot progression and just not gripping for me as a reader. I had high hopes but... sadly... dropped.
    Carol needs to get her butt back to Earth already. I would think that the unresolved matter of Grace Valentine (who very nearly killed scores of people out of anger and hate for Carol) is a higher priority than getting involved in space-antics.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Fantastic Member

This is a great series. The character development is fantastic. I find myself liking Carol again for the first time in ages. And I really do like the character in space, particularly with the interesting and appealing supporting characters. I've enjoyed her sojourn on Torfa and the variety of people she has met there. To me, this version of Captain Marvel is far preferable to the almost sociopathic character she became in her last incarnation. Indeed, it reminds me quite a bit of the Palmiotti/Connor Power Girl series.

One thing: I'll need to double-check, but is Carol actually on Torfa during the first part of the story? I thought she and her allies had left Torfa to go looking for ship parts. Again, I'll need to double-check this.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    I will be reading next issue but am also as disappointed as you with the direction. Eleanides and J'son are interesting but the rest of cast have not captured my interest after 5 issues. The mention of Vibranium in outerspace is somewhat interesting -and overdue- given evidence that it has been alien in origin since Day 1. This book needs more Chewie too.

I love David Lopez's art but I really miss the wilder, messier, and far more interesting style of Filipe Andrade. And as much as I like the idea of Carol Danvers in space, I'm not sure it works as well--or is as fun--as it could be. I miss her more grounded (er, sorry for the pun) adventures.