Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownEntity View Post
    They just wanted to make Spidey single because to them that makes him more like the Spider Man they remember, envision and want. Ten years later and the only breakout story everyone remembers is Superior Spider Man which wasn't about Peter. All long time love interests that everyone loves, Mary Jane, Black Cat, have been systematically alienated. No good new ones have been introduced or developed. They don't want anything to last or be meaningful which is what we as readers to want, to not waste our time and investment in these stories. I just want Peter and MJ restored.
    And that's exactly why I don't like the post-OMD Spider-Man stuff.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    And that's exactly why I don't like the post-OMD Spider-Man stuff.
    Me neither. They're trying to impose upon us the Spider Man THEY want rather than the Spider Man WE want.

Me neither. They're trying to impose upon us the Spider Man THEY want rather than the Spider Man WE want.
    If we wait for it, there'll be another poster(s) who pipes up about how the Spider-Man they want in the one Marvel wants, the marriage fans are in the minority and do not speak for the fanbase at large, etc., etc.

I think at the end of the day, readership is extremely varied about what kinds of Spider-Man stuff they want out of the franchise, so I think it's too simplistic to say that the fanbase as a whole is rejecting the post-OMD interpretation of the franchise (after all, it is still a huge seller, regardless of how much of that is or is not due to gimmicks and the fact that comics period are not selling badly as a whole).

However, I will concede a case can be made that Marvel does seem to think that their agenda for the character trumps consumer demands.

Incredible Member

If we wait for it, there'll be another poster(s) who pipes up about how the Spider-Man they want in the one Marvel wants, the marriage fans are in the minority and do not speak for the fanbase at large, etc., etc.

I think at the end of the day, readership is extremely varied about what kinds of Spider-Man stuff they want out of the franchise, so I think it's too simplistic to say that the fanbase as a whole is rejecting the post-OMD interpretation of the franchise (after all, it is still a huge seller, regardless of how much of that is or is not due to gimmicks and the fact that comics period are not selling badly as a whole).

However, I will concede a case can be made that Marvel does seem to think that their agenda for the character trumps consumer demands.
    Spider Man is different for everyone because consumers adapt Spidey to themselves in their own way. However the marriage fanbase is no minority, its a highly active and the largest faction aside from the main ASM followers in general.

Even if ASM continues to be the top seller of Marvel, it is the top seller in a lower standard. Spider Man used to sell over 70k comics on a bad month and up to 200k comics a couple of years ago. That number has dropped significantly.

The customer is always right. That is a business law.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Then please get one! No one wants to be perpetually alone nor should they. Just look at the sad state of Tony Stark. That's what the user who started this thread wants to turn Peter into. There was a troll like user over in Comic Vine doing something similar.
    Tony Stark was based off serial divorcee by the name of Howard Hughes. The flaw is intentional. But that's Iron Man for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Spider-Dog!

Make it happen, Marvel.

IDK, how about give Peter Parker a pig instead, I know it would be a dumbed down Spider-Ham but why not?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Tony Stark was based off serial divorcee by the name of Howard Hughes. The flaw is intentional. But that's Iron Man for ya!
    Duly noted. Forgot that fact. However that IS Iron Man. That is part of his character. But not Peter. Peter should not be a work obsessed loner like Iron Man. Iron Man is alone and detached but Peter is not, he seeks friendship, camaraderie and love and a future.

Incredible Member

Its inevitable. Hope you're ready for em as I'm trying to be

IDK, how about give Peter Parker a pig instead, I know it would be a dumbed down Spider-Ham but why not?
    The dog is simple.

If we're going to get unusual about it, then we can go all Ralph Bakshi and give him a giant pet spider in a spider costume and call it Spider-Spider.

Spider Man is different for everyone because consumers adapt Spidey to themselves in their own way. However the marriage fanbase is no minority, its a highly active and the largest faction aside from the main ASM followers in general.

Even if ASM continues to be the top seller of Marvel, it is the top seller in a lower standard. Spider Man used to sell over 70k comics on a bad month and up to 200k comics a couple of years ago. That number has dropped significantly.

The customer is always right. That is a business law.
    But where are the 200K sellers in the industry of comics in general nowadays? Not counting #1s? Hard to find any comic that is steadily that way in the industry. The 90s had a big fall known as the Dark Age of Comics. It would be nice to have a comic somewhere in the entire comic book industry that does 200K or above consistently, but that is a gem that they don't seem to reproduce much anymore. So unfortunately for that line of reasoning in the industry 70K is actually up there and a high ranking book for not being a #1. It's just how comic books are nowadays, and I am not proud or happy to say that.

They made RYV too. Personally, the continuity is such a mess that it doesn't have anything even including the clone saga, which is honestly a good thing. I essentially don't envy 616 at this point, especially when they are going to do retcon after retcon, after retcon...
    Last edited by DieHard200904; 06-14-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Incredible Member

But where are the 200K sellers in the industry of comics in general nowadays? Not counting #1s? Hard to find any comic that is steadily that way in the industry. The 90s had a big fall known as the Dark Age of Comics. It would be nice to have a comic somewhere in the entire comic book industry that does 200K or above consistently, but that is a gem that they don't seem to reproduce much anymore. So unfortunately for that line of reasoning in the industry 70K is actually up there and a high ranking book for not being a #1.
    There are no sellers that consistently reach even the 100k mark aside from Batman titles and even they don't always break that mark. ASM is Marvel's best selling solo title at a consistent 50k 60k a month. Its because of this that I say the entire standard of sales has fallen. Not even number 1's reach 200k anymore. Civil War II 1 is the last title I remember selling up to 300k and that was an event comic. Sales drastically fell soon afterwards.

The 90's may have been the dark age of comics, but even comics like Great Lakes Avengers still sold over 70k up to 100k of sales, in the worst period of comic book history. 70k was considered a failure in that age and now 70k is a resounding success in today's world.

Astonishing Member

Keeping Spider-Man single is to me the more interesting Status quo.
    That and the stories having Peter Parker in short and long term relationships and returning to the single status quo again.
    A bit like how is the SQ of Batman and Iron Man.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I'd prefer Peter having love interests, not extremely long term or permanent ones though.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Keeping Spider-Man single is to me the more interesting Status quo.
    That and the stories having Peter Parker in short and long term relationships and returning to the single status quo again.
    A bit like how is the SQ of Batman and Iron Man.
    I think that's the crux of the agreement. Some people like you find that most interesting, while I hate the idea of that (it sounds repetitive and boring). I also think the question of how mJ fits in affects people's answer. Those of us (like me) who see her as the only viable love interest character can't really see much advantage to him being with anyone else* (since for us, there is none). We're looking at the same thing from different angles and starting criteria. No common ground to be found.

*I think there can be good exceptions. However, I see Spider-Man and Mary Jane being together as the rule, while others see that as one of the exceptions.

Incredible Member

I think that's the crux of the agreement. Some people like you find that most interesting, while I hate the idea of that (it sounds repetitive and boring). I also think the question of how mJ fits in affects people's answer. Those of us (like me) who see her as the only viable love interest character can't really see much advantage to him being with anyone else* (since for us, there is none). We're looking at the same thing from different angles and starting criteria. No common ground to be found.

*I think there can be good exceptions. However, I see Spider-Man and Mary Jane being together as the rule, while others see that as one of the exceptions.
    Wow. That is a really good way of putting it. My mindset and preference is the same as you WebLurker.