Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Who's read Millar's Superman Adventures run?

Wrote a little post about it, here: http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blog...dventures.html

It's a run that is known in certain circles but is not often talked about or dissected. It is, in my opinion, one of the best things Millar has ever done (just behind his Swamp Thing run), and it's definitely one of the best long-form Superman runs of all time. I'll take it over Moore's Supreme, actually.

For those who have read it, what do you think? For those who haven't, why not?

How do people feel it compares to Millar's more known Superman work, Red Son (I make my thoughts clear in the post)?

I'd love to. Is it collected?

Astonishing Member

Yes!

http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Adven.../dp/1401203310

http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Adven...8V85HKFMPPS8PP

http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Adven...29J0YMFYWP57T9

http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Adven...V60E5MB7Q12QFA

I'm actually not sure which issues each of them cover; reading the descriptions I can say for sure that 1-3 have copious Millar issues, though a few non-millar issues.

I'll update the blog with these as well!

They should really release them all in one volume, like the recent reprints of Brubaker's Catwoman. You could fit 20 issues in one fat collection. I never realized how much Superman he did, looking at his bibliography.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Wrote a little post about it, here: http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blog...dventures.html

It's a run that is known in certain circles but is not often talked about or dissected. It is, in my opinion, one of the best things Millar has ever done (just behind his Swamp Thing run), and it's definitely one of the best long-form Superman runs of all time. I'll take it over Moore's Supreme, actually.

For those who have read it, what do you think? For those who haven't, why not?

How do people feel it compares to Millar's more known Superman work, Red Son (I make my thoughts clear in the post)?
    More like: 50 REASONS I SHOULD WRITE COMICS.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

By far one of my favorite runs on Superman in resent memory. It's a damn shame that it wasn't in the main Superman title because I feel like it doesn't get the recognition it should. It's under the umbrella of "that tie in comic to the show".

For those who know what I'm talking about, this is a large influence on my pitch.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    More like: 50 REASONS I SHOULD WRITE COMICS.
    Hah, thanks sir!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I read the over sized re issue comic awhile back and, like Superman Adventures, I think Superman just works better as one shots free from continuity. Just ordered the trades used, basically pay for shipping.

Loved the Blog Post on Judgement Day and the connections between DC's book of Destiny and Wildstorm's Mercury. Oh if only, Steve Gerber on Wonder Woman?, Miller on Batman, Alan Moore on Superman and Crisis on Infinite Earth's... What could have been!

Retired

I've read very little else by Millar but SUPERMAN ADVENTURES. It was one of my favourite reads when it was coming out. I think if I read his other work, I would feel sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I've read very little else by Millar but SUPERMAN ADVENTURES. It was one of my favourite reads when it was coming out. I think if I read his other work, I would feel sad.
    Well at least give Red Son a read. It doesn't have the ultra-violence that became his go to thing with Authority and Ultimates.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I read the over sized re issue comic awhile back and, like Superman Adventures, I think Superman just works better as one shots free from continuity. Just ordered the trades used, basically pay for shipping.
    Cool!

Loved the Blog Post on Judgement Day and the connections between DC's book of Destiny and Wildstorm's Mercury. Oh if only, Steve Gerber on Wonder Woman?, Miller on Batman, Alan Moore on Superman and Crisis on Infinite Earth's... What could have been!
    Glad you enjoyed it!

Yes, Steve Gerber on WW would have been amazing. As would, really, a Gerber Superman (as he was likewise working on a pitch for Superman, along with Miller).

Miller's Batman, at least, we seemed to get in DKR & Year One, though I was always a bit surprised he didn't do more in a world in which he obviously felt so comfortable, and for which he got much acclaim.

BANNED

Millar's writing may not be favorable to some but got to give props to him being one of the few writers that actually knows how to write Superman

I just read the Last Son trade it was one of the best recent Superman stories I have read. It had an emotional punch that I did not think Millar was capable of delivering.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 08-27-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Astonishing Member

Last Son as in the aforementioned Superman Advs. trade featuring the Family Reunion arc, or do you mean Red Son?

Both were good, but flawed, stories for me. Family Reunion had tons of great Jor El/Superman interaction, the villains kind of getting their stuff together, a lot of well done twists, and a few innovations that were (at the time) quite smart (the kryptonians talking to each other from across great distances at normal voice levels, for instance). That said, I found it really odd and uncomfortable that Lara should go insane, especially when Millar dedicates the book to his mother and father at the end! And the bits with the Kents at the end felt a little tacked on, as very little was made of their import, presence or impact throughout the rest of the story.

Still, it's one of my favorite issues of the run (along with the Luthor issue, the Mxy goes back in time issue, the 22 stories in a single bound, and the one that features Superman making a number of successive big-superhero saves, then taking the time to help a kid with his lost dog), but it had it's flaws.

Red Son I could go on and on about; it got a lot of the elements right, but was - take as a whole - not a strong story.

Definitely the Superman adventures, I like Red Son because it demonstrated how Silver Age ideas translate just fine with a modern sensibility. Lara going crazy is a new one, but antimatter and alternate universes make everything game. The surprising thing about Adventures was how much I love seeing Clark at the Planet. The short story with Fate, the Janitor that goes to far, the return of Clark's high school bully... Funny, clever, adventurous, it's a joke to suggest code comics or comics for kids can't be clever. In some ways they have to more clever.