Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    If Batman didn't form the JLA to deal with the Dark Multiverse or doesn't trust them to the extent that he creates a whole new team rather than get them involved, what was the point of the JLA in the first place? (In or out of universe, I ask: Seriously, what is the point of that book?)
    I've been asking the same thing. The mission statement introduced in JLA Rebirth isn't really jiving with the actual series. There's really no logical reason why Batman needed to create his own separate Justice League if they're not doing anything radical or different from the regular JL.

And what's worse: I don't even think the existence of this JLA has even been mentioned in any of Batman's other books. Like, no one in the Justice League has said anything about the fact that Batman just up and created his own Justice League. With Lobo!

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    If Batman didn't form the JLA to deal with the Dark Multiverse or doesn't trust them to the extent that he creates a whole new team rather than get them involved, what was the point of the JLA in the first place? (In or out of universe, I ask: Seriously, what is the point of that book?)
    In JLA, Batman says that he formed that team to deal with threats "on the ground", while the JL is there to deal with threats "from the sky". Allegorical, but I took it to mean the JLA deals with the smaller, less cosmic threats and the JLA takes care of the bigger matters

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    In JLA, Batman says that he formed that team to deal with threats "on the ground", while the JL is there to deal with threats "from the sky". Allegorical, but I took it to mean the JLA deals with the smaller, less cosmic threats and the JLA takes care of the bigger matters
    Yea, bingo. There's a distinction, sufficient or not is another question of course.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    In JLA, Batman says that he formed that team to deal with threats "on the ground", while the JL is there to deal with threats "from the sky"
    He tells Black Canary in JLA Rebirth, "I've started something new. A different team. Mortal. Not gods."

......Then he recruits Lobo.

RCO010_1486551512.jpg

Interesting ideas, it just has the wrong character in the lead. It should be a character with their roots in multiversal ideas and/or time travel to be spearheading all these events, not Batman. I know why he realistically ($$$), but it still doesn't make sense narratively. He may be overused at this point in regards to timeline wonkiness, but the Flash would make way more sense. Or Rip Hunter. Or Booster.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-14-2017 at 02:25 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Objectively Biased View Post
    And what's worse: I don't even think the existence of this JLA has even been mentioned in any of Batman's other books. Like, no one in the Justice League has said anything about the fact that Batman just up and created his own Justice League. With Lobo!
    Because the Batbook and the JusticeLeague books are run by different people who don't communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Interesting ideas, it just has the wrong character in the lead. It should be a character with their roots in multiversal ideas and/or time travel to be doing all this, not Batman. I mean, I know why they are doing it this way ($$$), but its still pretty nonsensical to me.
    Also, it's a Scott Snyder project and he has declared Batman as his fave. Not just money. This is Snyder's baby, culminating off of buildup in his Batman run.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

True, true. Still though, I'll never be able to buy Batman in this role. Just my personal opinion. Its just not my thing with a character like Batman. As generally lukewarm as I am with Snyder, I didn't like it when Morrison did it either and I am a bigger Morrison fan. Just feels forced to me and always will.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Interesting ideas, it just has the wrong character in the lead. It should be a character with their roots in multiversal ideas and/or time travel to be spearheading all these events, not Batman. I know why he realistically (*cough* Scott Snyder *cough*), but it still doesn't make sense narratively.
    Fixed for you.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I don't think it's that they are all made of the same metal, so much as they all draw energy from the same place.
    John Byrne did something like this already and nobody liked it.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Just finished reading this and WOW!

This is going to be a FUN ride. So much happens in this issue, with so many twists. Batman has put together an Outsiders team that is traversing the multiverse to learn more about this mystery.

And Batman has one of the Jokers (we know there are more than one) in a secret cave in his secret cave (you have to read the issue).

Batman asks Mister Miracle (YES!) to open a door in Superman's Fortress that he had Superman put in for him and when MM sees what is inside, he looks scared...because the room holds the Anti-Monitor tower from Crisis On Infinite Earths!

Batman and Mister Terrific also go in another secret room and Batman says it's time to let "him" out. The picture shows a large, metal container with red, yellow and black stripes. It kind of reminds me of Captain Atom's Charlton costume. I don't know if that's who is inside or not. But that was my first thought.

There's Dark Mattter, Nth Metal and more. LOTS more!
    Thanks for that write-up. I loved the issue, but it left me a little confused since I have never read Crisis on infinite earths". I also had to look those characters up, but the story has me super intrigued.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    It's for sure. That comes straight from Scott Snyder's mouth.
    Thanks. I think it would be cool though to see the Charlton characters appear in this. But I'm just very thankful to DC for having Mister Miracle in it, no matter how short it was.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    how is mister miracle going to freak out about the infinite crisis tower but then just disappear when batman tells him to? major PIS
    When Batman tells you to do something, you do it.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    yes, he should have locked bruce in chains, called the cosmic police, and dragged him to new genesis.
    LOL!

10 chars

True, true. Still though, I'll never be able to buy Batman in this role. Just my personal opinion. Its just not my thing with a character like Batman. As generally lukewarm as I am with Snyder, I didn't like it when Morrison did it either and I am a bigger Morrison fan. Just feels forced to me and always will.
    Does the feeling about Batman go back to like Cosmic Odyssey too in 1988? I feel very differently. Seen Batman in so many different types of stories with headline and focus.