Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default Darks Days: The Forge #1 Spoilers/Discussion

So wow, this was a very packed issue with lots of teases. So much to digest. I literally don't even know where to begin. Was Plastic Man actually stuck in a container in the batcave this whole time? Duke's mom has some sort of immortal powers or something? Hawkman is back and is the one who had the weird version of the cover. The Anti Monitor tower that destroy's universes is back, makes sense, since the threat will be a dark multiverse. And of course, we have the new 52 Joker back. Should be interesting seeing Duke's reaction since this Joker is the one who poisoned Duke's parents. It doesn't surprise me Joker was the one talking to the two of them since the new 52 has been a master at fooling even Bruce as seen in endgame.

Can't wait for the casting next month!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Did the issue say or suggest the original Outsiders were really formed as a cover front for Bruce's investigations into these metals?

EDIT: an article in case anyone wants to read it
    http://insidepulse.com/2017/06/14/dc...e-3-jokers-ju/
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-14-2017 at 07:12 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Did the issue say or suggest the original Outsiders were really formed as a cover front for Bruce's investigations into these metals?
    Yep, that's right. Modern costumes though.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I'm not always the biggest Snyder fan, but I thought this was really well done. Perfect kick-off issue introducing all sorts of questions. My only gripes are Romita's art, which I can enjoy at times, really felt out of place here and Duke. I actually like Duke, but the old hey I'm going to kick you in the face Green Lantern because Batman said no one in the cave was cringe worthy and then later in the cave him showing less fear than Hal about continuing on seemed really out of character for Hal. But all in all, very good

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yep, that's right. Modern costumes though.
    I don't like Black Lightning's new costume. Too many lightning bolts on it.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Spectacular Member agentofthebat's Avatar

As a Batman reader should I pick this up?

Quote Originally Posted by agentofthebat View Post
    As a Batman reader should I pick this up?
    Already feels like it'll read better in trade. I already got the first issue, so I'm gonna roll with it.

Do you think we will get an Outsiders series some point in the future? Would be a bit strange to mention them with no follow up

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Do you think we will get an Outsiders series some point in the future? Would be a bit strange to mention them with no follow up
    I definitely think that scene means DC is really pondering one or planning one. It'd be interesting if they could get Mike Barr to write it, he's still active for DC (like Dixon is). Though I doubt Barr will be chosen.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-14-2017 at 08:18 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

That was a pretty strong start that threw a lot of different balls in the air. I am a little confused by timeline of it all though. Did Batman's investigations begin with finding that tooth in the Talon or had he been digging into the mystery metal prior to that? They said he'd been looking into this stuff for years.

Aside from that minor bit of confusion, there's a lot to love here. The idea that Nth Metal, Fate's helm, Poseidon's trident, the Amazons' bracelets, the Multiverse tower, and, presumably, the Oan power rings are all made from the same metal is genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    That was a pretty strong start that threw a lot of different balls in the air. I am a little confused by timeline of it all though. Did Batman's investigations begin with finding that tooth in the Talon or had he been digging into the mystery metal prior to that? They said he'd been looking into this stuff for years.
    The Outsiders reveal I think almost certainly makes it clear Batman has been investigating this for a long long time (since early or early mid career at the latest). I hate Zero Year, but there might even be Metal eggs/seeds in there too, as with the rest of Snyder's run. I think Snyder is trying to hype this as the big one that Bruce has been pursuing almost his whole (crimefighting) life. Because of the Owls, the Wayne ancestors have been victims of the users of these metals, etc.

Sorta like how Morrison had Darkseid's Sanction and Hyper Adapter having affected so much in human and Wayne and Gotham history.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-14-2017 at 08:43 AM.

BANNED

Aside from that minor bit of confusion, there's a lot to love here. The idea that Nth Metal, Fate's helm, Poseidon's trident, the Amazons' bracelets, the Multiverse tower, and, presumably, the Oan power rings are all made from the same metal is genius.
    More inconvientent if anything. I prefer Amazonium and Gold of Legacy to be their own thing connecting to their own mythology inside of the bigger universe. Rather then everything conveniently connecting.

No idea how Batman was able to move that tower in that room either. If He and I guess now Mr. Miracle are the only ones who know its there..

Regardless gripes and all it was an entertaining issue.
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 06-14-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Mighty Member

I suppose Legion flight rings could also be connected to the metal.

Astonishing Member

It did. Which is a perfect sneaky retcon on Snyder's part, when you consider the original Outsiders' powers. Metamorpho and the elements, Geo-Force and geology, Katana with a blade with magic powers that could very well be another METAL relic. Halo with light spectrum powers. Black Lightning with conductive/electrical powers. That original line-up is kind of perfect for Super-Hero or Super-Detective Geological Phenomena.

I'm surprised how well Snyder can sift through a lot of continuity and pick out choice things that build a story here. It's a move echoing some of the best 'big DCU connect-the-dots' of Johns or Morrison and he equates himself well. I'm also surprised how much more I like the voices of some of his characters here that aren't Batman or Bat-related. I rather like his Hal Jordan and Aquaman, but I especially like his Hawkman and his Mister Terrific.

I've got to re-read this sucker to get the full effect, but first thoughts; could Professor Madison be related to Julie? What the hell do the Blackhawks, Lady Blackhawk, and any recent completely bonkers Blackhawks continuity have to do with any of this?

Does this seem to tie back to Infinite and Final Crisis as much as it seems to? It's not just the Antimatter Tower (which looks conspicuously like Nth Metal now), but the references to the Bat-Tribe, the Miagani, and Hawkman's thoughts reminded me strongly of Morrison's Final Crisis and Return of Bruce Wayne storyline. (linkages I saw in Flash, this week, too, as Thawne recognizes that Iris West is as "strangely brought back from the timeline" as he, and Barry Allen himself, are.)

There's dionesium in Bruce's and Joker's systems now. There was electrum in Grayson's tooth. Duke is apparently loaded with the stuff. Could it have more to do with a lot of DCU immortality? What element in the meteor was it that gave Vandal Savage elongated life? (Could this immortal stuff link back to Tomasi's Insiders storyline a few years back, where Ra's al Ghul and Vandal reluctantly teamed to destroy some other immortals?) What about the elements found in Lazarus itself?

What the hell was Doctor Hurt freaking out about when he was torturing Grayson? (There's another can of frigging worms.)

And, correct me if I'm wrong ... but is the Dark Matter one and the same as the Kirby Crackle?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    It did. Which is a perfect sneaky retcon on Snyder's part, when you consider the original Outsiders' powers. Metamorpho and the elements, Geo-Force and geology, Katana with a blade with magic powers that could very well be another METAL relic. Halo with light spectrum powers. Black Lightning with conductive/electrical powers. That original line-up is kind of perfect for Super-Hero or Super-Detective Geological Phenomena.

I'm surprised how well Snyder can sift through a lot of continuity and pick out choice things that build a story here. It's a move echoing some of the best 'big DCU connect-the-dots' of Johns or Morrison and he equates himself well. I'm also surprised how much more I like the voices of some of his characters here that aren't Batman or Bat-related. I rather like his Hal Jordan and Aquaman, but I especially like his Hawkman and his Mister Terrific.

I've got to re-read this sucker to get the full effect, but first thoughts; could Professor Madison be related to Julie? What the hell do the Blackhawks, Lady Blackhawk, and any recent completely bonkers Blackhawks continuity have to do with any of this?

Does this seem to tie back to Infinite and Final Crisis as much as it seems to? It's not just the Antimatter Tower (which looks conspicuously like Nth Metal now), but the references to the Bat-Tribe, the Miagani, and Hawkman's thoughts reminded me strongly of Morrison's Final Crisis and Return of Bruce Wayne storyline. (linkages I saw in Flash, this week, too, as Thawne recognizes that Iris West is as "strangely brought back from the timeline" as he, and Barry Allen himself, are.)

There's dionesium in Bruce's and Joker's systems now. There was electrum in Grayson's tooth. Duke is apparently loaded with the stuff. Could it have more to do with a lot of DCU immortality? What element in the meteor was it that gave Vandal Savage elongated life? (Could this immortal stuff link back to Tomasi's Insiders storyline a few years back, where Ra's al Ghul and Vandal reluctantly teamed to destroy some other immortals?) What about the elements found in Lazarus itself?

What the hell was Doctor Hurt freaking out about when he was torturing Grayson? (There's another can of frigging worms.)

And, correct me if I'm wrong ... but is the Dark Matter one and the same as the Kirby Crackle?
    Love all of this.