Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How are you cataloging this current Avengers series?

so in my box I have Avengers #1-3 first, THEN Avengers #1.2, 2.2. But I've noticed that both Comicbookdb and Marvel itself listing all these as part of the same series. And both are written by Waid. I'm starting to wonder if I'm thinking of them wrong. I was thinking of them as two series - Avengers and "Avengers .1" - but should I be thinking of them as two stories in two different eras, but part of the same timeline? Should they be cataloged as #1, 1.1, 2, 2.1, and so on?

I wonder how the TPB(s) will be collected?

They're officially part of the same run, but honestly, they're two different series with only a writer in common. Different artist, completely different roster, different logo, looks like different villains so far... and I expect the Point One issues to be their own trade, Kang War being a different one. Unless Kang shows up in 5.1 I fail to see how they're connected at all.

Quote Originally Posted by noiseredux View Post
    so in my box I have Avengers #1-3 first, THEN Avengers #1.2, 2.2. But I've noticed that both Comicbookdb and Marvel itself listing all these as part of the same series. And both are written by Waid. I'm starting to wonder if I'm thinking of them wrong. I was thinking of them as two series - Avengers and "Avengers .1" - but should I be thinking of them as two stories in two different eras, but part of the same timeline? Should they be cataloged as #1, 1.1, 2, 2.1, and so on?

I wonder how the TPB(s) will be collected?
    Waid is known to write long form narrative. It wouldn't surprise me if he tied them together. There are lots of ways he might do this.

Obviously there is no 'one true way' of organising comics. Marvel, and many other online databases, tend to organise by indicia and year of first publication, with the number being secondary. So Marvel clearly see this as the same 'volume'. It is interesting now that Marvel have their own database that they usually define the indicia by how it is written on their webpage. Indicia are becoming a little anachronistic anyway, and their dismissal in the Gaiman courtcase over Angela has taken away much of the legal basis for them. I would tend to defer to whatever Marvel say.

Recent precedence was The Amazing Spider-Man which had a flashback story told in point issues that did eventually inform the ongoing narrative by introducing the previously unseen antagonist as if he was a classic villain. Interestingly I ended up grouping those in my own database separately just for my own sense of place, so I broke my own rule in much the same way you are struggling with. Just as many arguments have always been had about volume classifications. This is nothing new, just a new out-working of an age old problem.

The Spider-Man volumes were indeed separated-out in trade as if different volumes.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 01-07-2017 at 04:24 AM.

BANNED

I would treat them as two series (ie: 1,2,3,4 and 1.1, 2.2 etc) but then I would put the two series together one after the other.

I was seeing them as two completely different series. But now that you guys mention it, the fact that they could, at one point, be linked together in some way... I'd be flabbergasted

alright so after reading #3.1, I feel like both of these series are indeed part of the same series. If that makes sense.

Yeah, #3.1 revealed who Avenger X is. We know from the coming this year feature in #1 that we'll be seeing that character in the present day at some point.

yup. It's actually really awesome the way that these two stories have apparently been telling one story.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, #3.1 revealed who Avenger X is. We know from the coming this year feature in #1 that we'll be seeing that character in the present day at some point.
    Who is Avenger X?

So Waid has been writing a flashback series just to retcon a previously Unknown Avenger into current continuity? I thought the point ones were just an interesting retelling of Avengers #16.

You didn't read the issue? spoilers:
    It's that girl who's been boosting their powers, but unknown to the Kooky Quartet, causing people to drop dead in the process. She got the name Avenger X because Tinkerer called her an unexpected X Factor.
    end of spoilers

hey so I noticed something kind of weird. Issues #1-6 of The Avengers have been collected into TPB this week, and the full title is: The Avengers Unleashed, Vol. 1: Kaang War.

What's up with the "Unleashed" part? Has this series secretly been called "Avengers Unleashed" and I didn't realize it?

Disambiguation from Hickman's Avengers run, I guess. Same reason the current ASM volume's trades are called Amazing Spider-Man Worldwide.

Niffleheim

I guess they will all be collected in the same TPB - Marvel/Waid did the same thing with Daredevil and Amazing Spider-Man and Indestructible Hulk issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    I guess they will all be collected in the same TPB - Marvel/Waid did the same thing with Daredevil and Amazing Spider-Man and Indestructible Hulk issues.
    are you referring to the original question? Because no, #1-6 were compiled as Kaang War, and #1.1-6.1 were compiled as The Avengers: Four.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by noiseredux View Post
    are you referring to the original question? Because no, #1-6 were compiled as Kaang War, and #1.1-6.1 were compiled as The Avengers: Four.
    Yes, ok i stand corrected