Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Secret Empire #4 Review/SPOILERS

Ok, we're nearing the halfway point in Secret Empire. Issue #4 arrived today and, oh man, is it good.

I'll keep the summary brief.

****SPOILERS******

We open in the undefined wooded area with the still-unidentified other Steve. He's attacked by several classic Cap foes, like Batroc when Sam and Bucky arrive to even the odds. Sam and Bucky invite Steve to join up with them to make camp and while Steve still feels like there's something he needs to do, Sam convinces him that whatever he has to do, he doesn't have to do it on his own. The three then walk off together.

Meanwhile, Hydra Cap's search for the Black Widow continues. Frank Castle hasn't found her yet but Steve trusts him to get the job done and stresses the urgency of that mission, believing Natasha to be one of the biggest threats to his regime.

Natasha and the Champions are staying low, doing what they can to glean inside info on Hydra - "doing what they can" meaning torturing the crap out of a captured Hydra soldier. Nat's brutal tactics don't sit well with her younger accomplices but they continue to work towards their goal of taking down Hydra.

The bulk of the issue takes the underground Avengers squad and Steve and some of his Hydra Avengers (no Superior Ock) on a collision course to Pym-Tron's domain in Alaska. Pym-Tron had returned to Earth just prior to the activation of the planetary shield and he set up shop in remote Alaska - an area dubbed the "Ultronic Territories." Both teams arrive in Alaska simultaneously with the goal of grabbing the shard of Cosmic Cube that Pym-Tron possesses.

When both teams find that the other is there, a battle ensues that is ended by the intervention of Pym-Tron. Angered by all the dissension between his old friends and teammates, he seats his guests/prisoners down for an awkward reunion dinner.

Like many family dinners, this one quickly becomes contentious as old grudges, feuds and all around bad blood are vented.

In the end, Pym-Tron allows one group to leave freely with the fragment of the Cosmic Cube. The other side is forced to leave disappointed but a final twist evens the scales once again.

*****END SPOILERS*******

This was a magnificently written issue. This entire event has been strong but the centerpiece of this issue - the dinner at Pym-Tron's - is just perfect.

There's so much drama in having all these characters in one room at this point in time and Spencer milks it for all he's worth. The shared history, the past grievances, the current bitter conflict, all of it is - pardon the expression - on the table. Spencer digs into all of it in this extended scene and as intense as it is, it's also laugh out loud funny at times. Tony has a line to Pym-Tron that is just so classic Tony and also hits the nail on the head so brutally and succinctly when it comes to Hank. No one can cut you to the bone like family can and these people are definitely family, with all the baggage that entails. This scene also contains plenty of sharp meta-commentary on the frequently divided state of the MU in recent years, on top of being true to each character.

Big shout out to Leinil Francis Yu on art this issue, by the way. I've been loving Sorrentino's work on this event but Yu makes for a nice change of pace and it suits the more action heavy content of this issue.

Anyhow, loved this issue. Dramatic, action-packed, funny, and stuffed with excellent character moments.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 06-14-2017 at 10:28 AM.

BANNED

That diner scene was absolutely brilliant, really showing how dysfunctional most of Marvel's super heroes have become. It's a shame that the rest of Captain America's team wasn't given seats at the table, that would've raised the macabre awkwardness to a whole new level. I would've loved to see Taskmaster and Black Ant give a running commentary on all the 'family drama' being shouted across the room.

Anyway, I suppose the obvious question from this issue is the twist at the end. Are there any clues in the supplementary Secrete Empire tie-ins that might suggest an answer?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    That diner scene was absolutely brilliant, really showing how dysfunctional most of Marvel's super heroes have become. It's a shame that the rest of Captain America's team wasn't given seats at the table, that would've raised the macabre awkwardness to a whole new level. I would've loved to see Taskmaster and Black Ant give a running commentary on all the 'family drama' being shouted across the room.
    That would've been great - but there's only so much space in an issue, even an extra-sized one as I believe this was. And yeah, I can't say enough about how awesome that dinner scene was. It was 100% pure Marvel in the best possible way, with all the character's flaws exposed and all their shared history put into play. Spot on writing by Spencer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Anyway, I suppose the obvious question from this issue is the twist at the end. Are there any clues in the supplementary Secrete Empire tie-ins that might suggest an answer?
    Haven't read the extra books like Underground so I couldn't say but I think this issue gets the idea across that Namor is acting in his people's best interests, even though he might not personally like the compromises he's forced to make.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    That would've been great - but there's only so much space in an issue, even an extra-sized one as I believe this was. And yeah, I can't say enough about how awesome that dinner scene was. It was 100% pure Marvel in the best possible way, with all the character's flaws exposed and all their shared history put into play. Spot on writing by Spencer.
    .....Yes, nearly the majority of the best AND worst of the Avengers' history (along with certain Past Marvel Event); Kudos indeed to Mr. Spencer upon what he's done so far within this Event's latest Issue/Chapter.....

Haven't read the extra books like Underground so I couldn't say but I think this issue gets the idea across that Namor is acting in his people's best interests, even though he might not personally like the compromises he's forced to make.
    ....Actually, some of Namor's intentions was partly played out within SE: BRAVE NEW WORLD #1, with some more to be revealed within the next SE Tie-In to STEVE ROGERS: CA soon..........

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post

....Actually, some of Namor's intentions was partly played out within SE: BRAVE NEW WORLD #1, with some more to be revealed within the next SE Tie-In to STEVE ROGERS: CA soon..........
    I'm thinking Cap #18 will flesh it out a bit more. The future solicits for Brave New World suggest there's more to it, and Emma Frost's recent revelations may have a connection, but we'll see. Something about Namor compromising seems too easy. I'd like to think there's a plan in pace somewhere.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

I really liked the escalation of the family dinner. As Scott said it was pretty much how a lot of family dinners go.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Unless I'm badly misremembering, the even numbered issues have been my favorites so far, so this was quite enjoyable.

That being said, the reason Hank Pym can't get out of the shadow of Avengers 213 is because the only stories they seem to know how to write about the character are stories that bring up this event so Hank feels bad or stories that bring up this event for Hank to redeem himself. It's a little annoying at this point. Obviously, they're being deliberately ambiguous whether Ultron is in charge, but that would be far more interesting than the wallowing in self-pity Hank Pym does.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Mighty Member

I still think it's weird that they're treating the Tony Stark AI like a real person. Did HydraCap actually accuse it of being drunk?

Mighty Member

My favorite issue by far ! But I really think that Nick Spencer not acknowledging that Tony Stark is an A.I is disconcerting.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

my favorite issue, so far. the family reunion was great. the art was great (except the champions stuff that I usually ignore anyways)! can't wait to see where the rebels go next.

Quote Originally Posted by Namor'sWrath View Post
    I still think it's weird that they're treating the Tony Stark AI like a real person. Did HydraCap actually accuse it of being drunk?
    it is a real person. Tony routinely backs up his personality. the current version is just as real as the one we've been reading about post-Dark Reign (remember when Thor had to jumpstart him?).

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    I'm thinking Cap #18 will flesh it out a bit more. The future solicits for Brave New World suggest there's more to it, and Emma Frost's recent revelations may have a connection, but we'll see. Something about Namor compromising seems too easy. I'd like to think there's a plan in pace somewhere.
    he certainly doesn't seem to have a plan; judging by his response to the underling. I thought that he was plotting with the Invaders.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    it is a real person. Tony routinely backs up his personality. the current version is just as real as the one we've been reading about post-Dark Reign (remember when Thor had to jumpstart him?).
    I guess that begs the question of whether or not an A.I. can drink.

soooo, who do you think the inside person is? I have 3 guesses...

1. Black Ant is hiding somewhere on the ship (explaining his absence in the other books that came out this week)

2. Ant-Man's been compromised; likely due to Hydra using his daughter as leverage (Spencer made him the mediator of this issue so it's more of a gut punch)

3. Quicksilver's been compromised; likely due to Steve having his sister and Pietro being somewhat weak-willed/self-interested

what do you think Cthon does in that body when no one's around? this is creepier than when Loki was using Sif's form.

Quote Originally Posted by Namor'sWrath View Post
    I guess that begs the question of whether or not an A.I. can drink.
    if it's backed up to a much earlier point, I could totally see Tony making it possible for an A.I. to get drunk. it's probably from the Demon in a Bottle era; given the armor.