Incredible Member

Default Graphic Novels in Europe

Hi, all! Longtime lurker, first time poster.

So I need your help. Next month I'm going to be in London and Paris for a week long work trip. Where would be the best place to get European comics/albums (translated in English)? I'm talking about stuff like Thorgal, Jazz Maynard, Djinn, XIII... Cinebook, Europe Comics albums.. the kind of stuff that isn't readily available in the U.S. I saw Djinn on Amazon but it was kindle only. If anyone can point out a good bookstore/comic book store in either city for this sort of stuff, that would be fantastic. I feel like this is my one opportunity to get my hands on all those amazing European comics I always hear so much about (and read about in the General Omnibus thread) but can never find in the States.

Thanks for any and all leads.
    Last edited by newparisian; 06-14-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Welcome to the forum!

When it comes to English-language publications I don't think you'll find much over here in Europe that you can't easily get via Amazon or other retailers in the US. Perhaps you'll be able to get a few OOP volumes, but in a city like London where so many people visit comic shops I'd say it's highly unlikely. And chances in Paris are even worse, imo, since they do not have a lot of English-language comics to begin with. You have to remember that English versions of these books are mainly produced for the US market, so naturally it's easier to find them in the states than over here.

The kindle books you've seen are by Europe Comics, a conglomerate of French publishers like Dargaud, Le Lombard etc. formed a couple of years ago which produces English versions of some of their GNs. However, they are exclusively digital.

Still, I'd check out Forbidden Planet on Shaftesbury Avenue in London (still one of the biggest in the world) or Gosh! Comics (don't know where exactly since I haven't been there since they moved several years ago) which has some exclusives (they do a lot of signings). Orbital Comics is good as well.
    Last edited by LordJulius; 06-15-2017 at 04:49 AM.

According to a friend of mine this is the place to be in Paris: http://www.albumcomics.com/fr/319-comics-vo

They have two stores/sides. One with french comics and the other side with foreign comics. Maybe worth a try?

how is cinebook or stuff like Tintin and asterix not available in the US? I'm pretty sure the first hc of Valerian just came out this week overseas.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

When it comes to English-language publications I don't think you'll find much over here in Europe that you can't easily get via Amazon or other retailers in the US. Perhaps you'll be able to get a few OOP volumes, but in a city like London where so many people visit comic shops I'd say it's highly unlikely. And chances in Paris are even worse, imo, since they do not have a lot of English-language comics to begin with. You have to remember that English versions of these books are mainly produced for the US market, so naturally it's easier to find them in the states than over here.

The kindle books you've seen are by Europe Comics, a conglomerate of French publishers like Dargaud, Le Lombard etc. formed a couple of years ago which produces English versions of some of their GNs. However, they are exclusively digital.

Still, I'd check out Forbidden Planet on Shaftesbury Avenue in London (still one of the biggest in the world) or Gosh! Comics (don't know where exactly since I haven't been there since they moved several years ago) which has some exclusives (they do a lot of signings). Orbital Comics is good as well.
    Thank you for the info. I was kinda afraid of this.
    I knew some of these titles are available in digital form only, but had been hoping hard copies would be available.
    Alas..

I will check out Album Comics and Forbidden Planet.

Forbidden is mostly just a large American-type store, right? Their stock is mostly American books that are available here already?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    According to a friend of mine this is the place to be in Paris: [url]http://www.albumcomics.com/fr/319-comics-vo
    Will check it out. Thanks.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    how is cinebook or stuff like Tintin and asterix not available in the US? I'm pretty sure the first hc of Valerian just came out this week overseas.
    Yes I saw that Valerian edition, though sadly I'm not a fan of that title or Tintin (lean too young for my tastes).

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get a kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Yes I saw that Valerian edition, though sadly I'm not a fan of that title or Tintin (lean too young for my tastes).

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get a kindle.
    did you check amazon for physical copies? also, I'm really not sure how it works but it might worth contacting IST or CGN because if the Valerian hc is sold in the US they might be able to order other cinebook books from Diamond as well.
    Regardless, I hope you can find lots of cool stuff and if you are just looking for regular stuff and not rarities it might worth checking out big book shops like WH Smith or Waterstones, they sell some comics as well.

Forbidden is mostly just a large American-type store, right? Their stock is mostly American books that are available here already?
    Yeah, it is. But they also heavily promote British titles (2000 A.D.) and books by British publishers like Titan. This could be interesting for you since Titan does publish some mainland European titles, as does Knockabout Comics. If they haven't changed the set-up of the store, the general Euro-stuff should be on the last shelf to the right when you go downstairs where the comics are, opposite the right part of the floppy display.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    According to a friend of mine this is the place to be in Paris: http://www.albumcomics.com/fr/319-comics-vo

They have two stores/sides. One with french comics and the other side with foreign comics. Maybe worth a try?
    I don't think I've ever set foot in the "French comics" Album store, but I highly doubt they carry French stuff translated in English. The "foreign comics" section certainly does not (it carries American stuff, and a few English things as well, as import copies and as translations into French).
    English-language "regular" bookstores would be a (slightly) better bet for English translations of French stuff, but there aren't many left in Paris these days.

Hi,
    I think the most chance you have to find these kind of GN could be Gosh! (in Berwick street if memory serves), as they are more specialized in independent publications.

Incredible Member

Thank you, all!
    I will try to check out Forbidden, Album, and then Gosh if I still have time.

Incredible Member

Gosh!, Orbital and Forbidden Planet are all so close together its amazing.

Seriously, look at this map

15 minutes to walk door to door to all three of them.

For indie/european stuff Gosh is your best bet, but Oribtal have a little side room (could be easy to miss) that contains similar things and the downstairs of Forbidden Planet is so large they've got room for a couple large shelfs of indie books too in amongst all the mainstream spandex stuff.

I like to hop on the train every 4-6 months and have a browse as the closest thing I have to a comic store in my home town is a Waterstones.

Those three comic shops are also right on the doorstep of Leicester Square/Picadilly Circus where the Lego Shop, M&M World and all the Theatres are so if you've got people traveling with you theres lots of the more traditional touristy things to shop around at the same time.

Hi, all! Longtime lurker, first time poster.

So I need your help. Next month I'm going to be in London and Paris for a week long work trip. Where would be the best place to get European comics/albums (translated in English)? I'm talking about stuff like Thorgal, Jazz Maynard, Djinn, XIII... Cinebook, Europe Comics albums.. the kind of stuff that isn't readily available in the U.S. I saw Djinn on Amazon but it was kindle only. If anyone can point out a good bookstore/comic book store in either city for this sort of stuff, that would be fantastic. I feel like this is my one opportunity to get my hands on all those amazing European comics I always hear so much about (and read about in the General Omnibus thread) but can never find in the States.

Thanks for any and all leads.
    Djinn is amazing but there ins't a printer version in English, I've asked.

In London Gosh has a semi decent selection of English language European books, but Orbital has more. They have a side room with a pretty good selection. Also check out Foyles and Waterstones (Tottenham Court road branch) as they have a decent sized selection too.