Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Incredible Member

jeanvaljean
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Sugar Spun Sorceress
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

PaulBullion 'cuz Gal and Patty impressed me.

Any more votes?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member

Greg Hatcher, for Bats' cowering in a cowl.

Great covers all round!

I vote Doughy Man!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Doughy Man. Great Buscema cover

Honorable Mentions:

Kirby101....almost used that Thing vs Hulk cover for the thread kick off.
    Shalla Bal ....a lot of purists don't like Coletta inking Kirby but I've always liked that Thor vs Hercules cover.
    Abe.....my favorite cover from Books of Doom with the foreshadowing of the Reed/Doom rivalry

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Shalla Bal ....a lot of purists don't like Coletta inking Kirby but I've always liked that Thor vs Hercules cover.
    Well, precious few could top Joe Sinnott when it came to inking Jack's pencils, but I thought Vince Colletta wasn't too bad.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, precious few could top Joe Sinnott when it came to inking Jack's pencils, but I thought Vince Colletta wasn't too bad.
    Colletta is a controversial figure among Kirby fans. Whether people like his style on Kirby or not is a matter of taste. But the problem was that he used a lot of less able assistants, and primarily, he changed, simplified and left out things that Kirby penciled. There are articles around the web if anyone wants to read further and see examples.
    But what this resulted in was Kirby having Colletta removed as inker from New Gods when he was shown how much of his work Colletta was altering.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Since IM is probably hard at work, I counted the vote.

The clear winner with 5 votes is The Whovian with the wrap around Perez cover.

Congrats Who! The next contest is yours.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Congratulations go to The Whovian!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Since IM is probably hard at work, I counted the vote.

The clear winner with 5 votes is The Whovian with the wrap around Perez cover.

Congrats Who! The next contest is yours.
    Thanks Kirby101 for taking on that on. Congratulations to The Whovian! Looking forward to what you come up with!

Here's the breakdown of votes:

Foxley...........................1
    icctrombone..................1
    Greg Hatcher.................2
    jeanvaljean...................2
    Sugar Spun Sorceress....2
    Chad H.........................3
    Doughy Man..................3
    PaulBullion....................3
    The Whovian...............5

Special mention to newcomers PaulBullion with 3 votes and Sugar Spun Sorceress with 2. the Sorceress has been with us for a couple of months now but keep 'em coming!
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-21-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Congrats to The Whovian! Great job!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Joe is an all time great but he does tend to be dominant. Also, I liked the way Sue and the other female characters looked with Vince Colletta inking, probably because he spent a lot of years doing romance comics. Medusa was especially "glammed up" in this example. Colletta had a softer touch with faces, which sometimes looked harsh under Sinnott I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Colletta is a controversial figure among Kirby fans. Whether people like his style on Kirby or not is a matter of taste. But the problem was that he used a lot of less able assistants, and primarily, he changed, simplified and left out things that Kirby penciled. There are articles around the web if anyone wants to read further and see examples.
    But what this resulted in was Kirby having Colletta removed as inker from New Gods when he was shown how much of his work Colletta was altering.
    Yeah, that was the problem with Colletta. A lot of companies used him because he made his deadlines and sometimes with a short window of time. This was crucial in the earlier times when if you missed your slot with the distributor you were in danger of losing it. That's why we would sometimes see reprints crop up here and there. The more jobs you got the more you made so there was a money factor too. Kirby was very generous about that and he knew that there was a lot of cutting corners to get things done. He knew that money was the issue when page rates were low.

Colletta did probably fall into some bad habits that way.

Two examples, simplified backgrounds, missing figures. And does change the character of the page.