Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What female writers would be a good fit for Peter Parker’s series?

Peter Parker's ongoing series have only been written by a handful of female writers over the years.

Of the top of my head the only ones I can recall are

Ann Nocenti who has the largest number of Spidey stories to her name (though they mostly suck)

Kelly Sue Deconnick who's written at least one issue of Avenging Spider-Man which co-starred Carol Danvers

Diane Duane who wrote a trilogy of novels in the 1990s

Fiona Avery who wrote a few ASM issues and and a few other things

Sara Barnes who has the infamous distinction of penning Sins Remembered

Hannah Blumenreich who's written to my knowledge just one out of continuity back up strip and some popular fan comics (I'll still count her despite not working on 616)

And Louise Simonson, who's probably the female Spider-Man writer with the best quality (though not highest quantity) work to her name. Putting aside her awesome X-Factor and Superman work, she did a great ASM Annual which introduced Alistair Smythe (who's iconic to the 1994 cartoon generation) and also penned Web of Spider-Man #1 which apart from being only the third ever Spider-Man title ever, contains the iconic bell tower scene where Spidey frees himself from the alien costume.

It ain't much. I really can't think of any other female Spider-Man writers, at least not any who've worked on a 616 Peter Parker Spider-Man solo book. I'm sure there must be some who've done AU stories with a version of Spider-Man, or done other series which might've guest starred Spider-Man.

So what female writers from inside or outside the comic book industry do you think would be a good fit as a main writer of a 616 Peter Parker Spider-Man solo book?

The only one I can think of is maybe G. Willow Wilson because of her Ms. Marvel work but then again that stuff might qualify her more for a teenage Peter Parker, not the adult experienced one we have now.

Astonishing Member

Ann Nocenti.
    Because she wrote a urban super hero (Daredevil) quite well,and i think Ann would do a great work writing the Spider-Man stories as well.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I think I've mentioned this in another thread regarding Marvel writers working on books but just incase I haven't than I'd be interested in G. Willow Wilson having a go if she was interested.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Ann Nocenti.
    Because she wrote a urban super hero (Daredevil) quite well,and i think Ann would do a great work writing the Spider-Man stories as well.
    Well for starters she ALREADY wrote a lot of Spider-Man and secondly she really sucked at it

Kathryn Immonen also wrote a Spider-Man/She-Hulk team-up for Avenging Spider-Man.

Gail Simone has expressed an interest in writing Spider-Man. I think she could do a fine job given the opportunity.

Ah yes, I forgot about Gail Simone earlier. I agree, she wouldn't be a bad choice.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

I've really enjoyed Kelly Thompson's work on Hawkeye. I think she'd be a good fit.

Does Sarah Dyer still do comics? That would be interesting.

I liked what we saw of Kate Leth's dive into the world of Spider-Man in that Renew Your Vows backup .

Astonishing Member

Kelly Sue Deconnick had the opportunity to use Peter Parker(non Spidey) as a reoccurring guest in her Captain Marvel series. Too bad she didn't because she could have brought the ASM readers to the series...

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Kelly Sue Deconnick had the opportunity to use Peter Parker(non Spidey) as a reoccurring guest in her Captain Marvel series. Too bad she didn't because she could have brought the ASM readers to the series...
    Someone asked her what she thought of a Carol/Peter romance. She said Peter would be a little too immature for Carol and that she viewed them as more sister/brother.

And then she said she is a Peter/MJ fan

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Gail Simone has expressed an interest in writing Spider-Man. I think she could do a fine job given the opportunity.
    I thought she expressed an interest in writing the Peter/MJ relationship in particular, not Spider-Man generally. So I think she'd be up for RYV or a title where MJ is a prominent character, but not a Spider-Book that doesn't feature her.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kathryn Immonen also wrote a Spider-Man/She-Hulk team-up for Avenging Spider-Man.
    I was about to type the same when I read the OP. Ms. Immonen should really write more comics. She is incredibly consistent.

I would love to read how Marjorie Liu would interpret the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    I would love to read how Marjorie Liu would interpret the characters.
    She could be interesting. Depending on what direction she wanted to take it.