Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Anyone want Peter staying single?

For good, just become a single dating dude. It's much better when Peter is always not tied down to relationships with pet wish fulfillment girlfriends of the author, you have to admit after omd, Peters been able to progress in narrative as far as being Spider-Man and progressing in his scientific potential, when he was married he was whipped and barely has time to improve himself as a hero and genius.

Being single is better for Peter imo, its a superhero action based comic after all and his love interests distract from exploring what peter is capable of as a hero and genius level character that no romance can hold a candle to. Plus peter is more than capable of doing better than the women peter has dated. But it shows marvel kicks them to the curb for some reason.
    Last edited by SpideyCeo; 06-13-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Incredible Member

No. Single Peter is utterly boring. Always alone, no one to confide in or trust unconditionally, his character development reduced, less stakes and emotional drama and depth. Nope. Being in a relationship does not tie Peter down. That is an illusion. Spider Man appears in cameos and team books in addition to all his own titles. That excuse that he doesn't have enough time because he has friends or family or a relationship is false in the realm of comic books. His Spider Man today is a joke to the entire world with an abundant case of Parker Luck. He's stuck being scolded and berated by the new Wasp in the current Avengers book without an ounce of respect for him and everyone treats him like an inconvenience. He is alone and boring.

Most of his achievements in scientific fields were due to Doc Ock in Superior Spider Man as well as his moving up in life not by Peter's own merits. The science behind the sciences he has supposedly progressed are nonsensical and ooc. Superhero comics also have the vital role of having a love interest in case people don't recall that. Its an important element present in nearly all superhero comics and doesn't distract unless the writer is purposefully portraying the entanglement as an inconvenience. The relationships Peter forms with characters, be they romantic or friendly will have more impact in the future than his random and traditional superhero saves.

There is already a Tony Stark in Marvel Comics. Peter shouldn't become the lone super genius with no friends or loves in his life. It makes him less relatable and human and more detached.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    For good, just become a single dating dude. It's much better when Peter is always not tied down to relationships with pet wish fulfillment girlfriends of the author, you have to admit after omd, Peters been able to progress in narrative as far as being Spider-Man and progressing in his scientific potential, when he was married he was whipped and barely has time to improve himself as a hero and genius.

Being single is better for Peter imo, its a superhero action based comic after all and his love interests distract from exploring what peter is capable of as a hero and genius level character that no romance can hold a candle to. Plus peter is more than capable of doing better than the women peter has dated. But it shows marvel kicks them to the curb for some reason.
    So what, you want to turn Peter into Tony Stark/Iron Man now?

I don't think he should be married in the comics, but I think long-term relationships should remain an option.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Peter's a relationship guy. It's just that there is a lot of drama in relationships that comic writers today struggle to convey.

Fantastic Member

Anyone want Peter staying single?
    Yes, the people with NO SOUL!!!

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Ahhhh! I have no soul!!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by a moment closer View Post
    Ahhhh! I have no soul!!!
    Then please get one! No one wants to be perpetually alone nor should they. Just look at the sad state of Tony Stark. That's what the user who started this thread wants to turn Peter into. There was a troll like user over in Comic Vine doing something similar.

Lol, I don't think he has to be alone... just single. His marriage to MJ was special but it is not something that makes Spidey interesting to me. Could he have meaningful relationships or even long-term romance? Sure, but it'll end, they always do.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by a moment closer View Post
    Lol, I don't think he has to be alone... just single. His marriage to MJ was special but it is not something that makes Spidey interesting to me. Could he have meaningful relationships or even long-term romance? Sure, but it'll end, they always do.
    But, the marriage itself doesn't deter you even if you're not invested in it. And had it ended well and when its time was up, people wouldn't be debating about it and talking and ranting about it to this day. But because it was taken away in such an atrocious manner and before its time, well, you see where we are at today. A pro marriage crowd and a non marriage crowd.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

He's more or less been in this Status Quo for the past decade, so I'd like to see someone actually get built up as a proper love interest. Even with Carlie Cooper, the relationship only officially lasted a year.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    He's more or less been in this Status Quo for the past decade, so I'd like to see someone actually get built up as a proper love interest. Even with Carlie Cooper, the relationship only officially lasted a year.
    Well, there's a semblance of that going on with Bobbi in ASM. And Zdarsky is teasing a new character called Rebecca London in his Spectacular Spider Man run, though a love interest in her is uncertain. With the track record of the last ten years, I don't think either is gonna get built up before they are ended. Michelle Gonzalez, Black Cat, Carlie Cooper, all these have amounted to nothing but flings.

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownEntity View Post
    Well, there's a semblance of that going on with Bobbi in ASM. And Zdarsky is teasing a new character called Rebecca London in his Spectacular Spider Man run, though a love interest in her is uncertain. With the track record of the last ten years, I don't think either is gonna get built up before they are ended. Michelle Gonzalez, Black Cat, Carlie Cooper, all these have amounted to nothing but flings.
    It's hard to take either relationship (whatever Slott does in ASM and Zdarsky does in Spec) seriously if the two different titles are on different pages.

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownEntity View Post
    But, the marriage itself doesn't deter you even if you're not invested in it. And had it ended well and when its time was up, people wouldn't be debating about it and talking and ranting about it to this day. But because it was taken away in such an atrocious manner and before its time, well, you see where we are at today. A pro marriage crowd and a non marriage crowd.
    I agree with you 100% on the OMD storyline. I also think that the only other way that marriage would've naturally ended was with MJ's death. I really don't see them getting divorced or separating over bad blood scenarios. I also agree that marriage does not limit the character in any way. Look at Reed and Sue, Lois and Clark, and Midnighter and Apollo to name a few I admire and love to see work. Peter doesn't fit that role to me.

Well, you'll probably get your wish in the new Marvel cartoon, since I expect Peter will be uninterested in the opposite sex as he was in the previous cartoon as part of Marvel Animation's policy against serious romance.