Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Good Wonder Woman during World War II stories? (other than original Golden Age)

Question for those of you more familiar with Wonder Woman's many, many writers.

Other than her original Golden Age stories, at what other times has Wonder Woman been in a story set during the World War II era?

Off-hand, I can think of the period during 1977-1978 when both the Wonder Woman comic book and her feature in World's Finest Comics told about the Earth-2 Wonder Woman in the 1940s (coinciding with the first season of the TV show).

There were also a few issues around +/-early 1998 during the John Byrne era (#130-133?) when Hippolyta (as Wonder Woman) travelled back to the 1940s and essentially became the "Golden Age" version of Wonder Woman.

And recently, Renae De Liz's The Legend of Wonder Woman had Diana become Wonder Woman during World War II.

Any other post-Golden Age runs/stories featuring Wonder Woman during World War II?
    (NOTE: I'm leaving out the Bombshells series since that's a way different interpretation.)

Retired

The tabloid-size "Superman vs. Wonder Woman," ALL-NEW COLLECTORS' EDITION C-54 (1978). This came out around the time of the TV show, but it feels like it belongs in its own continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The tabloid-size "Superman vs. Wonder Woman," ALL-NEW COLLECTORS' EDITION C-54 (1978). This came out around the time of the TV show, but it feels like it belongs in its own continuity.
    I tend to group that in with the same period of Wonder Woman #228-243 (cover-dated Feb. 1977 - May 1978) and World's Finest Comics #244-250 (cover-dated April/May 1977 - April/May 1978). By the way, Baron Blitzkrieg first appeared in the Wonder Woman feature of World's Finest Comics #246 and Sumo next appeared in Wonder Woman #241 (March 1978).

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I tend to group that in with the same period of Wonder Woman #228-243 (cover-dated Feb. 1977 - May 1978) and World's Finest Comics #244-250 (cover-dated April/May 1977 - April/May 1978). By the way, Baron Blitzkrieg first appeared in the Wonder Woman feature of World's Finest Comics #246 and Sumo next appeared in Wonder Woman #241 (March 1978).
    Did Baron Blitzkrieg and Sumo ever appear again? I don't think I ever saw them outside of those aforementioned stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Did Baron Blitzkrieg and Sumo ever appear again? I don't think I ever saw them outside of those aforementioned stories.
    Yes . . . Baron Blitzkrieg showed up in All-Star Squadron/Young All-Stars, and even later on in the series Damage. I believe Sumo also appeared in All-Star Squadron/Young All-Stars.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Yes . . . Baron Blitzkrieg showed up in All-Star Squadron/Young All-Stars, and even later on in the series Damage. I believe Sumo also appeared in All-Star Squadron/Young All-Stars.

Both the Baron and Sumo appeared in All-Star Squadron with the Baron also appearing in Young All-Stars. Sumo hasn't been seen in a while, sadly. I'd love to see him make a come back in the current Wonder Woman series.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.